New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Minimalist B&W website

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minimalist B&W website

I don't know where else to ask on the various FM fora, so I'll ask here.

I want to build my own simple, minimalist B&W photography website. I have no HTML skills and do not have Dreamweaver or anything like it. Can anyone share their experience or give advice on where to look for a webpage builder, that is not blog based, where I might be able to figure out how to construct my own website?

I would like a drag and drop principle, with the possibility of easily adding minimal text. I would like a main image to show with thumbnails of the other images in the folder at the side or at the bottom. I think it should not be Flash, since I want it to show on iPads.

I don't want to pay a fortune, and what I do pay would ideally be a one off payment. I have organised a website hoster.

thanks.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:09 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minimalist B&W website

hi,
u can give this software a try:
XARA WEB DESIGNER 10
http://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/
its only 50$
reagards
r

oder hier
http://www.magix.com/de/web-designer/detail/

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minimalist B&W website

May be you should consider squarespace? They have some great minimalist templates for photography

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:31 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minimalist B&W website

If you have lightroom 4or 5 you can use the built in web gallery creator, and look for a template you like.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WSC8DB18E8-337F-46bc-89C5-5F7F7408696C.html
Like this template:
http://yanikphotoschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fotoplayer.jpg
http://yanikphotoschool.com/tips/lightroom-photo-gallery-templates/

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minimalist B&W website

You could try:

Wix.com (they have some very clean and elegant Photo website templates).
or
Weebly.com

Both offer what you are looking for I believe. My wife was able to create a site for her class really easy using weebly drag and drop for instance - completely free (unless you choose to use your own domain).

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:48 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minimalist B&W website

play with wordpress or blogger.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:26 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minimalist B&W website

Look at Rapidweaver and one of the custom 3rd party templates from someone like nickcatesdesign.com, michaeldaviddesign.com or bltthemes.com

When I tried to answer a similar question, I didn't really like Wordpress for a more static, non-blog type site like a photo portfolio or photo sharing site.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minimalist B&W website

Another option is Piwigo. You can choose from a range of themes to give some customization. They also have plug-ins for specific tasks/features. Piwigo is free.

It is not drag and drop, but you can set up albums and specify which albums to place images in once you upload them. The uploader is straightforward.

You can check it out at Piwigo.org.

There appears to be another site Piwigo.com that charges- perhaps a hosting site. I did not look into it.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minimalist B&W website

If you just want to create something very simple, you also might look at BananaAlbum (http://www.bananalbum.com/).

There is also their companion option http://www.viewbook.com/ (which is not a one-time pay application/ template like bananalbum but more like weebly/wix).

Edited on Oct 02, 2014 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:53 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Minimalist B&W website

darrellc wrote:
Look at Rapidweaver and one of the custom 3rd party templates from someone like nickcatesdesign.com, michaeldaviddesign.com or bltthemes.com

When I tried to answer a similar question, I didn't really like Wordpress for a more static, non-blog type site like a photo portfolio or photo sharing site.

Rapidweaver is about to undergo a serious overhaul. I would wait till 6 drops. The code that 5 puts out is not streamlined for todays interwebs, however pretty with 3rd party themes.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:55 PM
shymon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Minimalist B&W website

Take a look at SmugMug. They make it pretty easy to customize and some of their templates go the simple-elegant route.

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Minimalist B&W website

You best option is squarespace. Easy to set up and only about $10 / mth.They have nice minimalist templates and nice gallery options.

Oct 02, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Minimalist B&W website

+1 and +2 for Squarespace like Saga and Gyroscope said.

You can chose from a lot of different themes, amongst those many themes that really is aimed at showing of your photos. If you would want to you can also make a lot of "deep" changes to the site but it's not necessary at all.

Mine is at squarespace, still under construction mind you but I've chosen one of the photo themes that I thought showed off photos the best.

www.photomagic.se

Oct 02, 2014 at 11:59 PM
padrelar
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Minimalist B&W website

Take a look at Koken (www.koken.me). It is free and has a plugin so that it integrates tightly with Lightroom.

Oct 03, 2014 at 12:05 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Minimalist B&W website

Thanks for all the replies, guys! It'll take me a while to investigate all these.

@ Lightshow,

I have and use Lightroom 5 and use it all the time. As far as I understood though, you can only build pages up, but cannot build a whole website structure - or am I missing something? The pages with the thumbnails also all seem to be 'Flash' pages, which although I like, do not work on ipads. The HTML pages they show do not have thumbnails. That's why I've started to look elsewhere.

@ Padrelar

I'll take a good lok at that if it can work as a Lightroom plugin. How effectively does it integrate with the Lightroom galleries?

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:14 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Minimalist B&W website

@Pedrelar

I've just looked and see that I've had a good look at this before. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer the templates that I would want - a simple main image with small thumbnails at the side or underneath. For anything more than their basic offerings I think you need to pay, but I'll check it again.

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:18 AM
photoomaha
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Minimalist B&W website

I have used Wordpress for quite awhile. For me, it is really simple and has a good selection of templates to choose from. www.photoomaha.com Feel free to PM or email if you have some specific questions, I would be glad to help.

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Minimalist B&W website

+1 @ Wix

Drag & drop ... simple, but ability to be creative. Plenty of templates to use "as is", customize them or build from scratch.

Options for templates that are mobile device compatible.

HTML 5 based (iirc).

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:54 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Minimalist B&W website

@ Tariq and RustyBug

I had a look at wix.com and it seems like there might be something there for me. It is free, but what is the catch? Do they really offer all these templates to anyone without getting anything back? Does the site have to host advertising? I couldn't immediately see any downside, but can they really be so purely altruistic?

Oct 03, 2014 at 05:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Minimalist B&W website

The catch: you will be a Wixer

They offer premium services to make money:

http://www.wix.com/upgrade/website

Yes, there are ads in the free version, and just 500MB of space, 1GB of traffic. The 500MB might be tight.

Oct 03, 2014 at 05:23 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.