New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Kris Sproul
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I plan to get out and shoot around Washington and Oregon as much as I can over the next month and into November. Some locations I'm either planning on hitting or would like to make it to, time permitting, are:
- Mount Rainier
- Artist Point/Picture Lake (near Mount Baker & Shuksan)
- US 2 near Leavenworth/Tumwater Canyon area
- SR 20 (North Cascades Highway)
- Portland Japanese Garden
- Columbia River Gorge waterfalls

While I've shot a few of these areas in the fall before, I'm looking for any advice on timing, favorite locations, etc.

I haven't been out to Mount Rainier since August, but based on what I'm seeing on the webcams (red/orange on the ground), it's looking like it's getting close to a good time to be there now. I would imagine now is probably prime time around Artist Point/Picture Lake as well. I'll probably hit one of those two this weekend. Has anyone been to either to check out the color recently?

Last year was my first year shooting the Portland Japanese Garden, and the color was great there around the third week of October. I would assume it will likely be around the same time this year.

I'm more curious about the other locations, which I haven't shot in the fall before. I'm particularly interest in areas around the North Cascades and the Leavenworth area, since I've seen some amazing shots of fall color up around there. I'm unsure of the best times and best areas to visit.

I'd also really like to get some Gorge waterfall shots with some fall color this year. Based on dates I've seen on photos posted online, it looks like this might be the last area of the ones listed above to change, but I'm not sure about that. Any thoughts? Any particular favorite waterfalls for fall color?

I've lived and been shooting in the Pacific Northwest for a few years now, but I don't feel like I've done much fall color shooting so far. I want to change that this year, but there are so many locations I want to shoot in such a short period of time. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:07 AM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Well you probably already know we've had a lot of warm weather this season and so most of the color change is late this year. Higher elevations will change first so that's how I'd plan it out. I don't usually make it up north where you go but the Silver Creek Falls area just east of Salem is my favorite for both color and waterfalls. Hope to see some of your shots.

Oct 03, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Raven Falls
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

According to the rangers at Rainier, color is quite good now, maybe at peak, maybe a week away. Leavenworth appears to be a week or two away. Artist Point, OTOH, might be a bit past peak, as they're "transitioning to winter."

Oct 03, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Thanks for the tips! I forgot about Silver Falls, but I'd definitely like to make it there too, if I can. Any idea when that area might be best? I haven't shot in the fall there before.

I'm most likely going to head out to Rainier this weekend. Not sure where I want to shoot yet, but Mazama Ridge is a favorite of mine in the summer, so I might give it a shot with fall colors.

Any other tips, ideas, recent trip reports, etc? Thanks!

Oct 03, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Raven Falls
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Does anyone have any reports on the Methow Valley right now?

Oct 03, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I think it is starting to peak now - but better to call the ranger station. I have a buddy in the north cascades right now (or was there this past weekend). When his phone turns back on, I will ask him.

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Any word on current color at either Silver Falls or the Columbia River Gorge? I assume it's still too early, but I'm going to be in Portland this weekend and would like to get out and shoot somewhere. I just called the Portland Japanese Garden, and they told me it's still mostly green. Any other ideas or current color reports in the general Portland area? Thanks!

Oct 10, 2014 at 02:56 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

It is early for the falls too if you're looking for color. If you've never been there before though don't let this stop you.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Gorge is still a bit out. It is supposed to rain all week though, so waterfalls will be fuller.

Oct 12, 2014 at 02:22 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I ended up going to Silver Falls State Park on Saturday, followed by Upper Butte Creek Falls and Abiqua Falls on Sunday. There is definitely some color happening in all three locations. There are quite a few yellow trees and some leaves on the ground, but there are also still many trees that haven't turned. Since I haven't been to these areas in the fall before, I'm not sure how the current color compares to peak, but I'm guessing it's still early. I loved Upper Butte Creek and Abiqua, which I had been wanting to check out for some time. I'll post some shots when I have time to work on some processing.

I'm planning on heading out again this weekend, and I'm thinking of heading north. Any word on color around Leavenworth, Methow Valley, or anywhere else up in that general direction? Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014 at 09:50 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Color in leavenworth is good. I was up in the enchantments and color is grand.

Oct 15, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Thanks, Dustin. I also came across a few shots from the Leavenworth area taken in the last few days that show some nice color. Does anyone have any suggestions on particular areas around Leavenworth to check out? I'm going to explore as much as time allows, but any tips would be appreciated. I'm pretty much settled on heading up there on Saturday and maybe into Sunday. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2014 at 02:19 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

We were at Horseshoe Lake. Larches are amazing, but a tiny bit past prime. Tumwater Canyon (wanatchee creek) is not yet prime. Lots of color up Icicle Creek. North Cascades should be great right now, as well as Mt. Rainier - even though they got some snow/

Oct 16, 2014 at 07:36 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Still very little happening in the gorge yet. I kind of feel like it is not going to be a very good year. It was so dry in the fall a lot of the leaves seem to be turning brown and skipping the whole color thing. There is decent color in some of the higher areas like tamanawas falls now.
Brian

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I ended up checking out the Leavenworth area this past weekend. As Dustin mentioned, the Tumwater Canyon area along the Wenatchee River still isn't prime yet, but there are definitely some areas of good color. I might try to go back this weekend or maybe next weekend. On that note, does anyone know where there are some good aspen groves around there? I found some on a back road near Winton, but they're not nearly as nice as ones I've seen in some other photos from the area.

As for Oregon, the Portland Japanese Garden is apparently just starting to turn. I'm going to give them a call again later this week, but it sounds like it could still be a bit of a wait.

Any estimates on when the Gorge might actually turn? Another two weeks maybe?

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

There are several storm fronts moving in. NOAA stated perhaps 6" of rain from Wednesday until Saturday/Sunday - and next week the hurricane that was near Hawaii is getting into the jet stream and will be into the mix. So I would think things will be changing quickly - IF there are any leaves yet.

Silver Falls State Park is starting to turn, and there is some slight color in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. I am heading out into the mountains today, and will report back what I find.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:46 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I ended up in Leavenworth again this past weekend. Lots of good color around there still, although I think it's nearing the end.

I'm contemplating Oregon for this coming weekend. I just took a quick look through some recent shots on Flickr to see where things stand. It looks like the Portland Japanese Garden is starting to turn, but far from peak (although I believe it can change fast there). The Gorge still seems very green based on what I saw. Does anyone have any first-hand accounts? Any predictions on the best times for these places or other Oregon destinations? I might consider Silver Falls again, if it's not too late.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Well we had that big wind storm here and it has blown a lot down. I don't think that's a bad thing because it adds color to the ground as well. Also with all the rain we've had the falls should be roaring pretty good too. I may go up tomorrow if so Ill repost. If you like the Japanese gardens maybe you'd like Shore Acres? I like that trip because you have some lighthouses along the way and lots of view points of crashing waves/rocks ect.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

Thanks for the tips. I'm not familiar with Shore Acres, but I might have to check that out at some point.

Has anyone been to Silver Falls recently? I saw some decent shots from there, but I'm wondering if it's too late at this point. When I was there a few weeks ago, it was still early. If I head down there this weekend, I may hit Upper Butte Creek Falls again too.

And any updates on the Gorge? Based on some Flickr searches, it still appears to be mostly green, but any first-hand accounts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Washington/Oregon fall color locations and timing

I went to the Portland Japanese Garden yesterday. If you're after shots of the Japanese maples, now is the time to go. The famous tree is a nice reddish orange right now and looks great. Some of the other trees around the garden look wonderful as well. Maples aside, the rest of the garden is getting there, but it's not super colorful at this point.

After that, I decided to make the drive out to the poplar tree farm near Boardman, Oregon. It was well worth the drive! There are miles and miles of poplar trees, mostly in full fall color. I also saw a couple of bighorn sheep there, which I had no idea were even in Oregon.

On the way east, I also drove by a few of the roadside waterfalls to assess the color. While there are some nice yellows along the road, the foliage around the waterfalls didn't look very colorful yet. It's still very green overall. I think I'll probably end up shooting the waterfalls next weekend, and I'm hoping there's some more color by then.

Nov 02, 2014 at 03:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.