FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 2014 :: Mitros+

datfish

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 2014 :: Mitros+

In my experience and testing the response is similar to MRomines.

First point is that the performance ,reliability recycle time etc between the Canon and Nikon versions differs greatly. So A Mitros+ for Nikon is not the same as a Mitros + for Canon and I have not heard anything about the sony variant?
The Nikon version appears to have more serious issues as evidenced in Dave Cheungs "Not So Ancient Chinese Secrets " and various other comments across the web.

As far as personal experience is concerned ,the Canon variant appears to be OK except for a few TTL inaccuracies.
That said I only have 1 Mitros + , mixed in with some Canon 580's mounted to Odins, and will NOT BE GETTING ANOTHER UNTIL the firmware is modified to overcome some annoying inaccuracies in the way it functions.

For full explanation of these issues see:
http://flashhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=72.msg386#msg386.

Like others have commented ,I can't fault the stand alone Phottix Odin System, they are SENSATIONAL!!
However the current state of Phottix's attempts to incorporate the Odin system internally within the MItros+ is NOT QUITE THERE YET.....close but not yet!.

I like what Phottix have been doing lately, especially the Odins, but I fear they are pushing too hard on the new product front, to the detriment of more thorough "pressure testing" before release!

SO its THUMBS NEUTRAL BUT HOPEFUL for me !.....But Phottix need to hurry up with a fix!

PS: Mark ( MRomine) ..I still think your unit is a "Bad Copy" given its recycle performance??

Edited on Oct 02, 2014 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:52 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 2014 :: Mitros+

LeeSimms wrote:
and you're questioning why I'm migrating?

oh come now, certainly not We're only talking about cameras and not more serious stuff in life like beer, pizzas or sporting events.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:52 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Just got word from a very reliable source that there is another firmware update coming soon for the Nikon Mitros + to solve it's poor recycle times. I hope this works, if it does this will make these the best radio controlled OCF flash units for Nikon. I have to keep telling myself to be patient.

Firmware updates have recently already been released for Canon and Sony.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:21 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 2014 :: Mitros+

That's great news.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM
CoryErmold

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Just had 1 of my mitros + stop firing at a wedding. I was hoping I was going to be the exception to what I read about when it comes to these things being temperamental... it was about a year old. It is still under warranty, I reached out to phottix and they got back to me in a few days and just gave me an address to send it to. Said to include a letter and return address...I guess I will give it a try and hope I get it back.
This review has been haunting me since I baught them: http://notsoancientchinesecrets.com/phottix-mitros-flash-review/

So, I am done with them now. I just ordered cheetahs (860n) and (850) and some strato II triggers. I will be getting the cheetah transmitter and receiver (when they are back in stock) so I can still adjust flash power remotely when i need to using the transmitter.

May 06, 2015 at 08:15 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Are you a Nikon shooter Cory?

May 06, 2015 at 08:16 AM
CoryErmold

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 2014 :: Mitros+

tonyhart wrote:
Are you a Nikon shooter Cory?

Yes. d750

May 06, 2015 at 09:34 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Interesting. Most of the distaste I've seen directed at the Mitros+ is Nikon based. I think that it's quite a different flash unit on Canon. I've used them for a season and been really pleased, but then again I'm a Canon shooter and I've heard some (probably fairly directed) negativity from Nikon users. Clearly the experience is disparate.

May 06, 2015 at 09:36 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Have you seen the information about the 750 hot shoe being different than past Nikon hot shoes?

May 06, 2015 at 10:23 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Good point that! There have been real issues with the D750 hotshot so check that that's not the issue before getting too cheesed off with the Mitros+.

May 06, 2015 at 10:23 AM
CoryErmold

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 2014 :: Mitros+

DigMeTX wrote:
Have you seen the information about the 750 hot shoe being different than past Nikon hot shoes?

Yea I am familiar with that issue. I do give it a bit of a clockwise turn to get it working. But this is separate issue. The flash will only fire about 3 out of 20 times. Even hitting the "test" button on the back of the flash doesn't make it fire. Its not a Odin/Radio issue it is a hardware malfunction in the flash. I tried firmware updates and everything. No luck...

I do have 2 other ones that are currently working....for now. I will be selling them in the next couple weeks after I get this one repaired, along with the Odin transmitter.

May 06, 2015 at 10:43 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 2014 :: Mitros+

Bummer. FWIW, I've been using the Odin transmitter and receiver with the Flashpoint version of the Cheetah/Godox 860n. Same flash. So far so good.

May 06, 2015 at 10:49 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 2014 :: Mitros+

DigMeTX wrote:

For anyone who has not seen this already: http://nikonrumors.com/2015/05/04/phottix-the-nikon-d750-hot-shoe-has-different-dimensions-than-previous-camera-models.aspx/

May 06, 2015 at 11:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.