Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

Here's the background.

I love my Canon 6D (even though I sometimes get frustrated with its AF limitations). I don't use my 50D much any more, but I'll keep it around for the occasions when I need faster tracking, AF and bursts.

But after dozens of trips with DSLRs and an assortment of lenses, I've come to the conclusion that I want to travel lighter. So I bought a used XE-1 a few months ago. But I find myself reaching for the 6D most of the time. The XE-1 with the kit lens is a wonderful setup, but I have yet to come to terms with its jittery EVF, its shutter lag and not-so-good focus peaking implementation.

So my requirements are:
- a light travel kit
- good IQ. I'm not a pixel peeper, but I've been spoiled first by the 5Dc and then the 6D and an assortment of Canon primes & zoom
- Responsive EVF, AF
- ability to use MF lenses: I have a few now and would like to add more. So it's important for me to have some form of MF assist: either good focus peaking or image magnification.

My long-list of candidates is:

1. XE-1: it's not perfect, but it's a good set up, so stay with it
2. XT-1: looks good, but a bit too pricey
3. A7 (used): again, looks very good and relatively cheap used, and full frame. But while I do want to use MF lenses, I also want a reasonable native lens collection to buy over time. I'm simply not enthused with the Sony lens lineup.
4. A6000: cheaper, smaller investment, but the lens lineup is an inhibiting factor.
5. NEX 6/5 (used): cheap, use it exclusively for MF purposes and travel with both the XE-1 & this one.
6. OMD E-M10: go radical and go to MFT. This camera is well liked and rated. Lens collection is excellent. Articulated screen, focus peaking, etc. In body IS, which will help with legacy MF lenses.

Logic tells me that the E-M10 is the way to go, but I'm hung up on the sensor size (I know that it's IQ is very, very good, so this is illogical). Thoughts/suggestions?

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

A7

Great for MF glass due to fantastic EVF and MF aids and no crop factor, and the native glass will continue to grow.

Excellent IQ as well

$999 for refurb bodies these days, awesome deal

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:32 PM
pauljas
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

between the X-e1 and XT-1, why not consider the X-E2? I have not shot with the X-E1 but love my X-E2, especially with the upgraded firmware.

I bought into the Fuji system due to the amazing lenses and great image quality. I too got hung up on the M4/3 sensor, between the small size and the 4x3 format, I just couldn't do it no matter how much I lusted after the Panasonic GX7 or GM1

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:50 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

stay with the x-e1 and wait for an x-e3

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:06 AM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

What about Samsung? To me, outside of Fuji/Olympus that is the most desirable lens lineup. No experience with them, just thought it might be worth looking into.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:40 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

Off the wall suggestion.

Get a Rebel SL1 and the new 24/2.8 pancake. Then you have something which can use all your Canon lenses and is still reasonably small and light.

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:30 AM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

XT-1 pricy for a reason, but the XE-2 with upgrades is very very good! (You won't have the jittery eve anymore)

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:54 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

I'm staying with my X-E1 as 5D2 side-kick. It's worth so little to sell ($300), the image quality is superb (if wanting in resolution, for me, ymmv), and it's small. I use the 18mm 85% of the time, in contrast to my 35L, which lives on my Canon.

If the X-E2 feels like an upgrade to you, you can get a used one for around $600, so you're only out $300.

It doesn't offer enough for me to make the jump. I want next-gen AF and resolution. And I'm in no rush to get there!

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:45 AM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

You shoot a really nice full frame camera. You've owned mirrorless. You know the benefits and disadvantages of not only the cameras you own, but also the alternatives. Nobody is going to be able to help you any further. At this point, everything is personal preference. If you think you'll have a hard time deciding, you should rent, borrow or buy used so you can trade inexpensively.

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:47 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

Thanks for your responses, folks. It's interesting that nobody has steered me towards the E-M10.

Yes, ultimately, it boils down to personal preference. I'll probably buy a used kit of one of the options and resell if I feel like it doesn't meet my needs.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:28 PM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

I just did two weeks in Ecuador and Peru with GX7 and EM5 and shot 90% with 7-14 and 14-140. This combo was lightweight and practical for street shooting, serious hiking and wet landings on island beaches. I also had a couple of fast primes for night time. I did take a D800, 3 lenses and a tripod which I did not use and regretted bringing for the weight and bulk. FF dslr was not suited for this kind of trip which was more of a vacation with photographic opportunities.

I thought about Fuji but didn't have enough time to familiarize myself with the system and to get what I wanted, but I like what I have gotten from my XE1 and may opt for this in the future since it's basically the same size as the MFT system.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:23 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

So, the E-M10 is a really really nice body with some very cool features like live bulb and live composite. Its easy to travel with and the performance is much faster than the X-e1. The focus is like night and day, its lightening fast compared to the X-E1. The lens selection is also great. But as you said, its hard to get past the sensor size. For me, I loved the E-M10 and I may buy another one when funds permit, but I wanted at least an APS-C sensor in my travel cam. I ended up with an X-E1 and an EOS-M after I sold my E-M10. I miss a lot about it, but at the end of the day I felt like I was missing out on shallow DOF for a lot of what I do. It was great for street, landscapes , and I am sure if I got the 25mm f1.4 I would have loved it for portraits too, but that started to get too expensive for me at the time.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:27 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If not XE-1, what? YASIBTCQ (Yet-Another-Should-I-Buy-This-Camera-Question)

Jim, interesting that you went the other way. How does the EOS-M compare to the XE-1? Do you travel with both cameras?

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.