New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

Hello folks,

I usually hate kit zoom lenses, for all of the usual reasons.

I am also pretty spoiled from using only professional quality lenses for more than 10 years. Especially the Canon 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II, plus "L" level primes. I just bought the Nikon 70-200 2.8 II, which arrived today.

+++

I just bought a Nikon D5300 to use as light "walk around" camera, for casual use on vacation and similar. It came with the new Nikon 18-55 VR II collapsible kit zoom that was just released in February, 2014.

I had planned on selling the kit lens and just keeping the body. But most of the things that I am seeing online indicate that this lens is pretty sharp, and that it might actually be worth using on a DX body. I know that Canon has produced some pretty decent kit-type lenses in the last 2-3 years.

I couldn't find any DxOMark numbers on the new lens yet. I did find some other MTF numbers, along with the Nikon MTF charts that look pretty promising (see below.)

+++

Can people who have actually used this lens comment on the quality? Is it worth keeping and using? Feel free to share examples, and comparison to other known lenses that you have.

I also have the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, which is supposedly the sharpest "standard" zoom on the D7100/ D5300/D3300, according to DxO. I can test that side-by-side with the 18-55 II when I get a chance for some additional comparisons. But it might be a week or two before I have a chance to test. Too many IRL distractions keeping me from doing any photography right now.

+++

Here is a review from ephotozine, with some MTF charts that I will publish below, plus some samples:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-s-dx-nikkor-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6g-vr-ii-lens-review-24155

Here is the DPReview sample gallery. I need to download some and compare them to other lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9734564590/nikon-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6g-vr-ii-real-world-samples-gallery

Thoughts? Thanks!

Michael

At 18 mm

At 35 mm

At 55 mm

Nikon MTF Wide

Nikon MTF Tele

Edited on Oct 01, 2014 at 08:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:26 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

I dont get it. You have the lens already. You should be the one telling us how it is.

BTW, the MTF looks stellar, Is it for real?

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:55 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

My dad is in the hospital and needs heart surgery. I won't have time to test it for a while. I was just going to sell it right away when it arrived, but now I am really curious about this lens.

I know, those Nikon MTF charts are incredible!! The 18 mm is good, but the 55 mm is just crazy good for a $100 kit lens! (It sells separately for $250 at B&H, etc.)

I would be more skeptical, as I think the Nikon MTF are calculated. But the ephotozine "Excellent" ratings out to teh edges also look pretty promising.

For anyone not as familiar with MTF charts, I just happened to be reading this by Roger Cicala today on various lens parameters - accutance, resolution, contrast, etc. He talks about MTF charts starting about 1/2 way down:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2009/06/have-you-seen-my-acutance

Here are some of Roger's tests from 1 week ago on a group of 35 mm 1.4 prime lenses. Obviously a kit lens at 4.5 or 5.6 is a different beast from the 1.4 primes, but the comparison is interesting:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/09/just-the-lenses-canon-and-nikon-mount-35mm-f1-4s

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:24 PM
cabanaboysteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

I have the new 18-55 and it is very good for a light, inexpensive lens. Much better hat the previous 18-55 of which i have three copies (don't ask]! It is best on the wide end with tons of [correctable in camera] barrel distortion but surprisingly consistent at all focal lengths. Plus, for me is the collapsible feature increasing portability.

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:09 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

Cool, very good to hear!!!

I like the collapsible/portable part too. I think this will make a nice alternative on a D3300/D5300 when I want something more than a mirror-less (we have been discussing those in another thread, especially the lens costs.)

Sony and Fuji seem to be doing the same thing with distortions. Using in camera or post processing (Lightroom, etc.) corrections. That allows them to build smaller/lighter lenses.

I have mixed feelings on how far Sony in particular has taken it - their kit lens is pretty poor. But when it is used to supplement an otherwise good/very good+ lens design, it makes a lot of sense to correct the things that are easy to correct in software/post.

cabanaboysteve wrote:
the previous 18-55 of which i have three copies (don't ask]!

Ha! I have a vision of you now running around like a pro, with 3 bodies slung over your shoulder. All with the same 18-55 kit lens!!

"But ... but ... I have one set at 18, one set at 35, and one set at 55 ..." That would be a good parody.

Cheers!
Michael

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

mmurph wrote:
I am also pretty spoiled from using only professional quality lenses for more than 10 years. Especially the Canon 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II, plus "L" level primes. I just bought the Nikon 70-200 2.8 II, which arrived today.

+++

I just bought a Nikon D5300 to use as light "walk around" camera, for casual use on vacation and similar. It came with the new Nikon 18-55 VR II collapsible kit zoom that was just released in February, 2014.

I think that all in all we've become too obsessed with numbers. I've come to think that how we use camera gear may be more important than raw numbers. One thing I've learned is that big heavy lenses are generally not a good choice for travel or family outings. I've been using the version 2 Nikon 18-55mm VR on my D5100 for those things. Oh, the horror!

Kent in SD

Oct 01, 2014 at 10:12 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

My history was mostly for context. It is hard to ferret out reviews on entry level lenses. I have a friend who has been shooting for 5 years, and has only ever used his kit lens. Usually at f/ 8.0 to f/ 16.

Data is one way to figure out the best option without investing the money first to find out yourself. Opinions tend to be more - random. I also have a 6 Sigma Black Belt, which is sort of equivalent to a Masters Degree in Statistics/Quality. So charts are a pretty natural source of info.

Things like the 35 1.8G and 50 1.8G are small, cheap, but very good quality options for a more casual use camera. The Canon 18-135 IS STM also happened to be a pretty decent kit lens, so things seem to be changing a bit.

I wish Nikon would give us more options like the Canon 40 mm 2.8 pancake and the new 24 mm 2.8 pancake. That is one way to compete with the small mirror less kits. Both retail for about $150 new at release, and the 40 mm is an excellent lens, even on full frame. The 24 mm is just coming out so still TBD.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:25 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Feedback from Use of Nikon 18-55 VR II - Newest Collapsible ONLY

ETA: I don't know if this will help, buy FYI. I am a 20+ year pro/former pro. I closed my studio 8 years due to chronic pain.

Doing anything online on the the computer is about 100x easier than going out in the world to do something physically. Like picking my son up from school, going to the food store, etc.

I still shoot some "pro" jobs, usually low light/high ISO events. Those are usually at ISO 3200 & 6400 with the 70-200 2.8 II and 24-70 at 2.8.

Starting in December I will be in South West Florida for a good part of the winter, with no real obligations and a lot of time to work.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.