Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

StevenMI
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

So, I've always done it this way and from my understanding most wedding photographers are the same way but I don't have a great reason WHY? I got pressed pretty hard today by a potential client wondering why they can't pay 50% now and 50% after the wedding.

I definitely understand why they would want to do that, but I honestly am not sure I had a great reason for why they couldn't.

I'm curious what others have said when asked that question?

Thanks in advance!
-Steven

Oct 01, 2014 at 06:34 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Every other vendor I deal with requires payment upfront. I would think the client would need to provide a reason to do it any other way. This might have something to do with reputation and reliability.

- trr

Oct 01, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Because chasing payment is one of the worst parts of being in small business. You risk them withholding payment if they don't like something about the pictures (though the contract has been fulfilled - nothing says they have to like the pictures) and even taking money up front we get stories here of couples overstretching themselves and then trying to claw back money after the wedding.

I’m not sure what we do is out of line with other vendors
The payments are already phased payments over the course of often a year
I have been in business x years with y clients a year which says a lot for my credibility, I have no way of checking if an individual is a good payer or not

I do find it a little odd sometimes since even builders will only usually get some cash up front to cover materials and it isn't like a garage where they just don't give you your car back if you don't pay but this is standard in the industry and in my favour so I'll take it!

Oct 01, 2014 at 06:44 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Many people live check to check and over spend on weddings. When you accept 50% after the event they put you last on the list. Just like a new car or camera, the excitement is gone by the time the payment is due.

Couples also get into arguments and that marriage might not last three months.
now they are no longer interested in those images but more in how to get out without it costing any more money.

Collecting money is no fun.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:08 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

jefferies1 wrote:
Couples also get into arguments and that marriage might not last three months.

That's the basic reason why. No other great reason, really, and it's not a pleasant answer, but it's the truth.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:17 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Also because our work is also considered art by some, which is subjective. If it doesn't turn out the way they had hoped or envisioned, good luck collecting that other 50%.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:48 PM
skg photos

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

I tried 1/3 after the wedding my first year.

Once you have been burned, the industry standard makes perfect sense.
I chose not to go to court, but its better to not be in that position in the first place.
And yes, the couple had split up just after their wedding.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:48 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Once someone stiffs you, you'll realize why. I have someone who still owes me 1000 bucks from 2009.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:51 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

I did a last minute weekday wedding.

$500 for 3 hours.

Thought... cool, quick and easy cash.

After having to hold the $250 deposit, I knnneeewww it would be a PITA to collect. She said in front of everyone... "call me next week"

Rude, nasty, and demanding it became a point of principal.

I got the guilt trip from hell, but got paid after three months... all this over $250

I couldn't imagine walking out at the end of the night being owed $1000 or $3000.

HELL TO THE NO!

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:58 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm not even considering doing it but I was just curious if there was a really good reason that a client would understand.

From their point of view, they don't want to risk paying a photographer and that photographer not showing up. I've heard stories of photographers getting paid and then leaving town and keeping the money of a bunch of clients. They have likely heard stories like this as well but the bottom line is that they shouldn't book me unless they trust me (which they have said they do, it's more of a thing of "principal")

I think this line sums it up best "I have been in business x years with y clients a year which says a lot for my credibility, I have no way of checking if an individual is a good payer or not"

Thanks everyone!

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:04 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

I agree with all of the thoughts above. I ask for payment two weeks out, but if they want to pay me the day of I won't cause a fuss. If they forget and want to pay me after, they won't get any images or products until payment has been received. Thankfully I've never been stiffed

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:55 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

1) it's an industry standard across the board
2) they could royally SCREW you and decide not to pay you
3) it's unprofessional to chase a bride for money on her wedding day
4) you provide a service. if you render that service; you should be paid. period.

all the "stories" brides hear about bad photographers are stories of cheap brides hiring amateurs. professionals just don't do that kind of bs. it's a non-issue. end of story.

Oct 01, 2014 at 10:02 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

I've had 1 wedding this year alone cancel the day of. Another almost didn't make it...but they ended up breaking up at the reception anyway.

Had I not gotten paid in advance, I would have missed out on 2 premium dates this year alone.

Oct 02, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Even if it is an industry standard, that is a lame and dismissive response. Kind of a "I am not really sure how to explain it so I'll give you a non-explanation".
Don;t get me wrong, I have used it trying to get thru to someone about usage fees to a commercial assignment. With B to B you can be a little more hardball and honest.

A wedding has a coating of love and flowers and dreams, so the harsh reality of not wanting to get stiffed by deadbeat clients needs to be sugar coated.

Do the other vendors get paid up front?

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:02 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

StevenMI wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm not even considering doing it but I was just curious if there was a really good reason that a client would understand.

From their point of view, they don't want to risk paying a photographer and that photographer not showing up. I've heard stories of photographers getting paid and then leaving town and keeping the money of a bunch of clients. They have likely heard stories like this as well but the bottom line is that they shouldn't book me unless they trust me (which they have said they do, it's more of a
...Show more

I had this two times in a year that they were afraid that I would not show up. Principal matter here I guess. We ended that they paid the rest 50% in cash the morning I showed up. That is the only compromise I am willing to do if they stretch the matter.

heiko

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:14 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Micky Bill wrote:
Even if it is an industry standard, that is a lame and dismissive response. Kind of a "I am not really sure how to explain it so I'll give you a non-explanation".
Don;t get me wrong, I have used it trying to get thru to someone about usage fees to a commercial assignment. With B to B you can be a little more hardball and honest.

A wedding has a coating of love and flowers and dreams, so the harsh reality of not wanting to get stiffed by deadbeat clients needs to be sugar coated.

Do the other vendors get paid up
...Show more

Yup pretty much everyone is paid upfront. One usual exception is hair and makeup because often everyone is paying for their own.

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:23 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

Mark_L wrote:
it isn't like a garage where they just don't give you your car back if you don't pay but this is standard in the industry and in my favour so I'll take it!

Really? My garage lets me drive away however I want, pay in a couple of weeks if I wish. Maybe there is something in that...

I can only really recall this once recently, where the groom to be had a minor objection about paying for it all before the work was done. In this case, I don't think I properly went over some other minor concerns beforehand. His reasoning was as a Dr, he sees sick people and accidents all the time, so maybe he was just more sensitive to that.

Other than that I've not had any issue. People ask about the payment schedule and I tell them very simply and they seem fine with it. I think as Todd says, trust/credibility/reliability can throw off all sorts of different concerns if not properly built.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:02 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

heikoM wrote:
I had this two times in a year that they were afraid that I would not show up. Principal matter here I guess. We ended that they paid the rest 50% in cash the morning I showed up. That is the only compromise I am willing to do if they stretch the matter.

heiko

I wonder what would even make people think such things? That you wouldn't even show up? I find that quite remarkable to be honest. I would look into that if it's happened twice this year.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:07 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

+1
Here we dont get paid upfront, which is a mistake but it is the way it works !!! I get a good fee though so months later after the wedding they spend more in extras as the final amount isnt that big but I would sell more extras for sure if I got paid upfront as they wouldnt have to face a huge amount.
Here we, the photographers, are the last assholes to get paid by the clients and sometimes they have already spent our money in a new fridge for their new house or a new TV ...

The happiness in their faces during the wedding process is gone when sorting out the final payment !!!

So upfront is the right way fir us IMHO

jefferies1 wrote:
the excitement is gone by the time the payment
Collecting money is no fun.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:51 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why do we collect the full balance before the wedding?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Yup pretty much everyone is paid upfront. One usual exception is hair and makeup because often everyone is paying for their own.

When I did bridal makeup years ago I was pre paid like I am for weddings. They had to put 50% down but I ran like I do now. Sometimes Some did pay me the day of.

Its been a while so it may have changed more and getting paid the day of is becoming more normal if thats what you have been seeing though. Its been about 5 years since I did bridal makeup...

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:31 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.