New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

Thanks for all the new suggestions guys.

I have really no interest in auto focus so modern lenses that are auto focus or even older lenses that are AF are of no interest to me.

Ideally, it would be great to use only the M-mount but right now it would cost me too much money that I simply can't spend on gear.

I have on the way an Olympus OM adaptor and a C/Y adaptor (already have the Nikon adaptor, although I will be selling all my current Nikkor lenses since they are all huge and heavy).

But it would really be cool if I could find some bargains in M mount such as older Zeiss and Voigtlander.

What's a good price for a Leitz Tele-Elmar 4/135? I am following one right now on sale at a local auction which will end this sunday.

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:14 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

The Olympus 18mm OM f/3.5 is fantastic on the A7s. I know it hasn't had a great reputation in the past on other A7 cameras but I've been very impressed with mine. Here's a shot from last weekend (single exposure wide open - vignetting corrected):

http://verndewit.com/img/s12/v179/p324572372.jpg

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:42 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

Very nice Vern! How long exposure and what ISO?

Another question to anyone that knows: for how much does the Voigtlander 15/4.5 (I) usually goes for? Does it suffer from coma?

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:44 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

The Tele Elmar 135/4 should sell for about 300-450 euros, depending on condition and model. The last two iterations are both superb, almost as good as the 2,000 euro 135/3.5 apo lens. It is the bargain Leica M lens.

Oct 02, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

nampramos wrote:
Very nice Vern! How long exposure and what ISO?

Another question to anyone that knows: for how much does the Voigtlander 15/4.5 (I) usually goes for? Does it suffer from coma?

25s f/4, ISO 51,000.

Oct 02, 2014 at 10:50 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

wolfloid, how can I check which model it is? Right now it is priced very low but I am sure it will rise up a lot because there are a lot of bidders on it!

Vern, I found a Zuiko 18/3.5 locally that I can pick up already tomorrow but it is pretty expensive. What's the normal price for this lens? Is it really worth it? There's no coma on it right? Are straight lines really straight?

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM
dazey

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

I figure its worth throwing in my 2p worth as I have a similar situation. Came from D3 + primes (20mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 135mm f2, 180mm f2.8)

I have the voigtlander 15mm f4.5 which is wonderfully small and light and although needs a bit of correction is a pretty nice lens. There is a new version of course.
Next I have the voigtlander 20mm f1.8, not small or light but is a very good lens. I use it quite a lot.
Next I have a voigtlander 35mm f1.4 SC. Good lens that is small and light but it comes with compromises. Its not the sharpest in corners.
next I have a few 50s. I have the zeiss 50mm f1.5 sonnar. Like this a lot, small but has a weight. Also have a voightlander f1.1, great if you want to see in the dark! Its heavy or course.
I picked up a leica summicron 90mm f2 as a portrait lens, nice but flares a lot.
135mms I found hard. Tried a pentacon preset but a bit heavy. Ended up with a zeiss sonnar f2.8 in a rollei mount (lighter and smaller than in C/y mount)
For 180mm I ended up with a leica elmar f4 which is very small after being disappointed with a f4 konica 200mm f4. The leica is the same size as the 135mm zeiss! Very compact for a 180mm

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:27 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

dazey wrote:
Next I have the voigtlander 20mm f1.8, not small or light but is a very good lens. I use it quite a lot.

Question in regard to your Voigtlander 21/1.8 which I also find interesting - do you ever use graduated ND filters with this lens? If yes, how do you attach them? The most disturbing part for me with this lens is its fixed lens hood. Any way to get around this issue (other than forcefully removing the hood shades)?

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

nampramos wrote:
wolfloid, how can I check which model it is? Right now it is priced very low but I am sure it will rise up a lot because there are a lot of bidders on it!

Vern, I found a Zuiko 18/3.5 locally that I can pick up already tomorrow but it is pretty expensive. What's the normal price for this lens? Is it really worth it? There's no coma on it right? Are straight lines really straight?

They're pricey. I paid almost $1k for mint condition. I'm really not the best person to ask for a formal, technical review but I don't get coma and the first thing I noticed was the straight lines. But 18mm isn't for everyone. Expect vignetting, obviously. Easy to correct in post.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:49 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

Personally, I think that on the A7(S) if you're fine with 2.8 for a 35, the FE 35/2.8 would be great. It is VERY small, has AF, a nice look IMO, and isn't terribly expensive.

I have the Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton MC and I like it, but not a fan of the .7m minimum focus. I almost bought a Nikon 35/1.4 AIS, as I did like that lens a few years ago when I had one, but couldn't find one locally for a reasonable price- and yes it's heavy.

The Voigtlander 15/4.5 (first M version, not the new one which isn't out yet) was a blast on the A7 when I had it (the 15). Super small, great build, awesome optics- but the corners have the fun smearing and color casts. I think the color casts are almost a non-issue on the A7S.

Your Nikon lens lineup is really awesome.

Something to think about that I have seen other people bring up- large SLR lenses somewhat defeat the purpose of a small A7 camera, but most of them do handle nicely on it! I especially think the 85/1.4 AIS would probably be awesome on it.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:54 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

dazey, thanks for your suggestions. What's a good price for the older 15/4.5 in M-mount? There's one that I could buy locally but I have no idea if the seller is asking to much. It seems to be in mint condition. Is this a rectilinear UWA? Does it have coma when shot wide open?

Vern, the one being sold locally is going for aprox $850. For that price I can get the Voigtlander 15/4.5 and still have some cash left.

ISO1600, that's the thing. These super fast lenses are a lot of fun to shoot with but they are a pain to carry sometimes. Since I am changing to a much smaller camera, it makes sense that my lens kit also changes. Of course I will have to loose some speed but hopefully not too much (1stop, maybe 2stops in some of the lenses).

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

rattymouse wrote:
Well, if you ditch the f/2.8 zoom and switch to a 50mm f/1.8 lens, your D700 set up drops in weight by a massive amount.

It seems that all that weight was being carried but not used.

Even with the equivalent combo and no matter how you slice it, the D700 was larger and heavier that what I have now.

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:45 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

I have somes news guys.

The Sony A7s in now in my hands. Got it Friday at the end of the day. Did some shooting on Saturday night and a bit more today. Used the 85/1.4 AIS mostly during Saturday night at a dinner with friends to take some portraits in low light. Today I bought a 105/2.5 P Auto (pre-ai) and took some quick photos in downtown Stockholm to test it out.

I am now updating LR to be able to see and process the A7s raw files. I will share some photos later or tomorrow (it is getting pretty late over here).

Besides the 105/2.5 P Auto that I bought today, I won two auctions for:
1. Leica Tele-Elmar 4/135 (in black)
2. Olympus Zuiko 28/3.5

I have also tried a Zuiko 18/3.5 which was pretty cool but the seller wanted almost $700 for it so I passed, although it was in mint condition.

The only thing I don't like with the Olympus lenses is that the adaptor is as big as the Nikon adaptor and that means that the super small Zuiko lenses like the 18/3.5 and the 28/3.5 double in size because of it.

But the only option is M mount lenses and those never come cheap.

Oct 05, 2014 at 03:46 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

Its too bad the Nikon adapters have to be so big on the A7 cameras. Nikon has some of the best MF lenses available. How do you like the 85/1.4 AIS? I had that same lens, but found it much too soft for my liking. Had to stop it down to f/2 for it to clear up.

Oct 05, 2014 at 05:00 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pulling the trigger: Sony A7s

I love the 85/1.4 and I wish I wouldn't let it go but it simply is way too big and kind looks silly on the A7s. Its great at f/1.4 for portraits and tack sharp when stopped down. Probably my favorite Nikon lens.

Oct 05, 2014 at 05:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.