1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Olympus OM 4 sized FF DSLR

mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Olympus OM 4 sized FF DSLR

sebboh wrote:
the sad thing about that picture for me is that it's the camera that has a small sensor and no mirror that is bigger.

And don't forget 'handles MUCH better'. I owned an OM-4Ti, and found the handling & controls purely awful. Cramped, poorly located and fiddly buttons and felt cheap. At least the finder was nicer than the wildly over-rated OM-1.

The E-M1 however handles really nicely, has better control layout and is much less fiddly. There's a lower size limit for decent handling in an SLR style camera and it's right between the OM-4 and E-M1.

Oct 05, 2014 at 04:38 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Olympus OM 4 sized FF DSLR

mawz wrote:
And don't forget 'handles MUCH better'. I owned an OM-4Ti, and found the handling & controls purely awful. Cramped, poorly located and fiddly buttons and felt cheap.

The Om-4Ti was a pretty revolutionary camera, and unlike most of the competing cameras at the time, it actually offered some innovative and useful controls. I'm sure it was pretty bewildering for many users coming from brick-like Canon AE-1's or Nikon FM's.

Oct 06, 2014 at 09:59 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Olympus OM 4 sized FF DSLR

molson wrote:
The Om-4Ti was a pretty revolutionary camera, and unlike most of the competing cameras at the time, it actually offered some innovative and useful controls. I'm sure it was pretty bewildering for many users coming from brick-like Canon AE-1's or Nikon FM's.

I owned the OM-4Ti about 3-4 years ago. I was not impressed, and was coming from cameras with similar capability. The control layout on the OM-4Ti shared the Pentax ME Super's lousy button locations, but at least used them for less critical controls (better the rarely used highlight/shadow spot metering than the critical shutter speed). The Spot metering button was also annoying to reach.

It had spot metering, which was awesome, and highlight/shadow spot metering, which was darned near impossible to activate due to location. It also had multi-spot metering, which has always been cool, but is rarely useful (I had this feature on my Maxxum 7xi with the Multi-Spot card, and on my Maxxum 7's. It was rarely all that beneficial)

When it was new, it competed against the Nikon FA, which had Matrix metering and full program modes and quite frankly was a heck of a lot more innovative in the long run (pretty much every feature in the FA became standard, while the OM-4Ti's features have mostly come and been forgotten). The FA also got a 1/4000 max shutter and 1/250 sync.

Oct 06, 2014 at 03:39 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.