FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2014 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Some breathtaking imagery here Phillip, thanks for sharing!

Oct 15, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Matt Grum wrote:
Sadly Sony have not realised the full potential of their amazing sensor by including a mode which keeps the ISO at 100 for the RAW but lets you dial in a fake ISO which is used to digitally push the JPEG and LCD/EVF images.

that function exists and it is called DRO level 5. It will boost the shadows by about 3 stops and anly affects the preview jpg, I use it quite often to judge how far I will be able to push the shadows in post.

Oct 15, 2014 at 02:30 PM
radissimo

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

@Philip
I guess you are very modest about your skills, your images are always exceptional. Many of us can learn a lot.

I am wondering how often you used the tripod, have you used the self timer/remote? Just asking from sharpness point of view, I never managed it to this level....
PP seems very gentle too, what is your workflow?
Cheers,
Rad

Oct 15, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

radissimo wrote:
@Philip
I guess you are very modest about your skills, your images are always exceptional. Many of us can learn a lot.

I am wondering how often you used the tripod, have you used the self timer/remote? Just asking from sharpness point of view, I never managed it to this level....
PP seems very gentle too, what is your workflow?
Cheers,
Rad

With manual lenses you really need to know how to take sharp images in any condition, to get a feeling for shutterspeeds and apertures. I use my tripod when I have to. When the shutterspeed is below 1/2*focal lenght and I did use ISO 100 it was most likedly taken with my small tripod which is a very important part of my kit. I use the 2 seconds self timer most of the time when the camera is on a tripod.
Most of my images are still handheld and some of them are not as sharp as they would be if I had used a tripod but setting the tripod up is always a hassle and mine is rather small so I can't use it for any perspective.

For my workfow check out this blog post Sony Alpha 7 - Postprocessing Workflow

Robin by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Oct 15, 2014 at 07:04 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

I would love to go there, but having to drive my car on the left side of the roads keeps me away from it. I always have the idea that it will go wrong when I have to make fast decisions. But the pictures in this thread are awesome.

Oct 15, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

timballic wrote:
It must have been hard leaving both the MD 58/1.2 and the FD 35/2.8 TS, two of my favourite lenses, though obviously what you did take worked very well for you.

This spring in Portugal I was schlepping both lenses all the time and while the results were really nice (the FD35 TS has excellent corners, a bit better than the already very good one of the MD35) the heavy bag sucked. Now in the Uk we did a lot more hiking so I decided to carry a lighter kit. This is one of the beauties of the a7, I can pack a small lens if weight matters,
What stands out especially to me, is the rendering with the Tokina AT-X 90/2.5. Almost every shot with it attracted me. I've heard of the Bokina, but this is my first viewing, and, oh dear, it looks like another "must have", especially as it's a favourite FL!
It is a very nice lens, no doubt. But does it really have anything more modern lenses do not have?

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
that function exists and it is called DRO level 5. It will boost the shadows by about 3 stops and anly affects the preview jpg, I use it quite often to judge how far I will be able to push the shadows in post.

Interesting - maybe you can expand in the Setup thread. You can also set the Setting Effect On and the Live View will be boosted.

Nice set Phillip.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Interesting - maybe you can expand in the Setup thread. You can also set the Setting Effect On and the Live View will be boosted.

Nice set Phillip.

Well what DRO basically does is pushing the shadows, which is what I do if I want to harvest the dynamik range the sensor offers. So when I activated DRO5 while shhoting raw it gives me a good indication of how far I will be able to push the file, I can push it a bit further than the camera can push the jpg but not by much.

I cover it more in detail in the linked blog post but this before/after image gives you an idea of how it works.

pp_before by reevedata, on Flickr

pp_after by reevedata, on Flickr

The a7 with my FD20 is not a very good combination for night photography but it is fascinatimg none the less

Night Sky over Wales by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Night Sky over Wales by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

sheep, bad weather and hills in Wales

DSC01306 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

DSC01120 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

DSC01121 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:30 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

great images! I'd love to visit England, Scotland, and Wales.

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:40 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Awesome photos Phillip, appreciate when you label the location as I hope to visit sometime.

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:03 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Well what DRO basically does is pushing the shadows, which is what I do if I want to harvest the dynamik range the sensor offers. So when I activated DRO5 while shhoting raw it gives me a good indication of how far I will be able to push the file, I can push it a bit further than the camera can push the jpg but not by much.
_----'--

so it affects the RAW image? Can it all be done in post only without dro?

Oct 17, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
_----'--

so it affects the RAW image? Can it all be done in post only without dro?

No,itd does not affect the raw image. The camera applies your jpg settigs to the preview image. So the moment I activate DRO level 5 the shadows will be displayed much brighter. The raw file will always look the same, no matter which picture style and DRO level was used.
In high contrast scenes when I expose for the highlights the shadows will usually be black before DRO is activated. If I can see details in them after DRO is activated I know that I will be able to find enough details in the shadows of the raw file. If they stay black with activated DRO I won't find many details in the shadows of the raw file and I either have to sacrifice some details in the highlights or the shadows because the dynamic range of the scene is too high for my sensor.

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:28 PM
prashant
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

lovely. let them come....
Glen Coe is beautiful anytime. I see you climbed 'three sisters or Nam', right? and also Snowdon?

Oct 18, 2014 at 06:58 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

prashant wrote:
lovely. let them come....
Glen Coe is beautiful anytime. I see you climbed 'three sisters or Nam', right? and also Snowdon?

we just did a short walk from the car park there

We climbed Snowdon

The last week of my trip I spent with relatives who live in Pembrokeshire and I took less images then but I was really lucky to see a group of dolphins while sailing not too far off the shore. Framing was basically pointing the camera in the direction of the dolphins while trying very hard not to fall off the boat or loose my camera.

Dolphins near St. Ann's Head, Wales by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Spider Web by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Morning Sunrays by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:36 AM
dcjs
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Phillip Reeve wrote... Spider Web ...

You know you're a camera geek when... you use the LOCA in an image to determine the spatial orientation of the subject.

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Great shots and some fine PP!

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:18 AM
Peter T
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

More brilliant shots Phillip. Great locations admitadly, but really inspirational stuff, all of it. Love the 2nd two dolphin shots in particular. I wonder how many species of truly wild animals you might expect to be able to get close enough to in order to be able to use a 35mm lens effectively.

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

a jump back to Wales:
at the foot of Cader Idris by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr+

at the foot of Cader Idris by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Dolgoch Falls by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

some more trees from the Dolgau Falls followed by seals in Pembrokeshire

Untitled by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Angekommen in Pembrokeshire nutzten wir einen ehr grauen Tag zum Seehunde gucken

Oct 30, 2014 at 03:39 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Scotland, England and Wales with Sony Alpha 7

Amazing series, love the waterfalls and streams.
I need to have some of these for desktop backgrounds

Oct 30, 2014 at 05:49 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.