New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon D4s Review

reesem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D4s Review

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h446/reesem226/D4sreview-1_zpse05d4857.jpg

5 months, and 88,634 images later, this camera has come to mean a lot to me and my professional career. My full thoughts about it in the link below:

http://fleetingcaptures.blogspot.com/2014/09/nikon-d4s-review.html

Any feedback or questions are welcomed!

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h446/reesem226/D4sreview-2_zpsb4a9b5ca.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h446/reesem226/D4sreview-5_zpsc5003cc6.jpg

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM
BrundinPhoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D4s Review

Great review! I really look forward to getting a D4s once the D5 comes out.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:19 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D4s Review

I can only afford one when the D7s comes out

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:32 PM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D4s Review

Excellent review from a pro "in the trenches". Much appreciated.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:49 PM
dreamplayer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D4s Review

D4S is awesome camera. But there are two things I don't like:

XQD with CF, carry two types of cards is pain. Why not two XQD slots or two CF cards?

Left and right AF points still hunting in low light and much less accurate as center. When shooting people vertically especially in low-light, it still miss a lot.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM
BrundinPhoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D4s Review

dreamplayer wrote:
XQD with CF, carry two types of cards is pain. Why not two XQD slots or two CF cards?

I think (and hope) that this is a transitional move while the XQD gains a reputation for speed. Fingers crossed that the D5 comes with dual XQD or perhaps a modular XQD-or-CF dual design.

That said, I look forward to getting a D4s for photojournalism.

Oct 01, 2014 at 12:17 AM
reesem
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D4s Review

@Brundinphoto: Thank you!!
@BenV: perhaps sell some gear to speed things up?
@Birdbrooks: Glad it was of use to you!
@dreamplayer: I agree with Brundinphoto, in that this is a transitional move for the XQD. To the best of my knowledge, only the D4 and D4s currently use this format, and if Nikon had gone with XQD for both slots, it would have isolated D4 and D4s users from the rest of the CF card market, not to mention disrupting workflows that shooters already had in place. Using both CF and XQD cards is the best of both worlds in my opinion. I've had some issues with the center upper and lower AF points, but not left and right.

Oct 01, 2014 at 12:01 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D4s Review

reesem wrote:
@Brundinphoto: Thank you!!
@BenV: perhaps sell some gear to speed things up?
@Birdbrooks: Glad it was of use to you!
@dreamplayer: I agree with Brundinphoto, in that this is a transitional move for the XQD. To the best of my knowledge, only the D4 and D4s currently use this format, and if Nikon had gone with XQD for both slots, it would have isolated D4 and D4s users from the rest of the CF card market, not to mention disrupting workflows that shooters already had in place. Using both CF and XQD cards is the best of both worlds in
...Show more

Well, I could sell my gear but I'd have no lens to go on my shiny D4s lol

Oct 06, 2014 at 03:56 PM
HibikiRush

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D4s Review

Good read, thanks for posting. Would you say the AWB is a noticeable improvement over the D4, specifically in lessening the green bias?

I am a bit irked that Nikon chose not to implement highlight-weighted metering into this camera. Feel about it how I felt about D800 not having the D4's AF point orientation recall. Why!

Oct 06, 2014 at 04:24 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D4s Review

Although I can appreciate your thoughts on the body, I'm taking issue with the D4 vs. D4s really being a 'game changer'.

I found no real reason to go from a D3s to a D4 alone, given post work. Nothing I do including media services on stadium shooting or NHL shooting has Ps done to it of course. But post work for cropping, exposure, details, noise etc...always get done. With ACR adjustments, these comparisons are noticeable, but negligible between all 3 bodies IMO.

It's a lot of clatter about very little. My work is following bodies, pucks, balls in the air and in a lot of really bad stadium lighting. The AF albeit better... not a game changer.

But I'm happy, YOUR happy, about your move on up.

Oct 06, 2014 at 05:56 PM
reesem
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D4s Review

@HibikiRush: Thank you! Yes, the AWB is noticeably better than the D4, esp. with the green bias indoors. The D4s has solid metering, although recently I have noticed that one body has a slight tendency to underexpose in certain situations, usually in high contrast outdoor scenes.

@John Skinner: Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned, this review was based solely on my experience...perhaps I had a bad D4 copy and so there was a larger difference in things like AF performance, IQ, and high ISO for me. Sounds like you're shooting in some challenging conditions as well!

Oct 07, 2014 at 11:58 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.