New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

Yeah, I'm no Canon fan either, but I've been impressed by the results I've personally seen from this thing.

The files look largely indistinguishable from the ones I've gotten out of the RX100 III. Most of the difference is down to the control scheme; the G7 X is a lot simpler to use, less fiddly, but also has less control and less options for more advanced shooters.

Oct 01, 2014 at 06:40 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

carstenw wrote:
Anybody will confirm that I am really not a Canon fan, but I think this is way too early to condemn this camera. The reviewed.com review claims good results, and the results at imaging-resource look decent as well. If the corners are not needed due to in-camera distortion correction, then it doesn't matter that they are dark.

In the end, the camera should be judged by the final image quality it gives, not some intermediate stage. The same approach is used by the excellent Hasselblad H 28mm lens, by the way.

I didn't know that Hassy used Canon lens designers.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

mogul wrote:
I didn't know that Hassy used Canon lens designers.

As far as I know Hassy have no lens designers and get other companies to design and manufacture their lenses, so anything is possible.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:32 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. A lens design with less flaws would require a larger lens, smaller format, less range, and/or small aperture. This is the compromise that Canon, Sony, etc accept when trying to cram a lens like this into a small package.

If you're willing to make the sacrifice and lose range, small size, speed, and/or format size, there are a lot of options out there.

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:02 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

Ah! I thought this was a problem of the final image, not the imaging circle that the final image is cropped from. In that case, I agree with arduluth, this is common practice in general P&S design and image correction, and not as extreme as some!

We've embarked on a fusion of optics and processing for a number of years now and there is no going back to straight optics. It affects the digital imaging of almost every camera in every system. Now is not the time to be concerned imaging authenticity -- that stage was passed long ago without any strong protest. Camera makers found quickly, just as we do, it's much easier to "fix in post" than to fix in optical design (sometimes impossible).

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

I guess the worst thing about this approach is some resolution loss in the corners, from the stretched pixels, and some more noise in the corners, from corrected vignetting. The final results will show to what extent this is serious.

The Hasselblad H lenses are designed by Fuji, by the way.

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

Carsten -- From what I've found using Canon G-series and S-series cameras, it's not a serious loss. It's like a very mild de-fishing effect. But you are right, there is going to be some loss of data in the stretched corners. OTOH, you are getting better resolution and cleaner corner data to work with rather than the true gunky corner imaging. So, it's a trade-off, and for P&S, I don't mind it. FF, I'd be more concerned, but even there, PP with imaging profiles and manual perspective correction end up doing much the same thing.

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:55 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

carstenw wrote:
I guess the worst thing about this approach is some resolution loss in the corners, from the stretched pixels, and some more noise in the corners, from corrected vignetting. The final results will show to what extent this is serious.

I wouldn't argue that it's a good thing - it's just the design price you pay for small, fast zooms with decent range. There are options out there for folks who don't want to make optical compromises that are fixed by software.

Oct 01, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

carstenw wrote:

The Hasselblad H lenses are designed by Fuji, by the way.

Yes they are, but its quite a bit differet league than regular Fuji lens. Much closer to Zeiss or Schneider MF lens.

I wouldnt worry much about output, there is same system employed in many cams and many lenses now, most people wont notice.

Apart from increased noise (wont be an issue, corners wont be visible after morphing) only real issue is usually not well enough corrected CA, which if it goes over certain threshold isnt correctable at all without being still "visible". Some very expensive Panasonic lens show this..

But, having good lens as start is always better..

Oct 01, 2014 at 10:16 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

I don't know what you mean with "regular Fuji lenses" Fuji makes great lenses, the XPan lenses, large format lenses, enlarger lenses, medium format lenses, all sorts of stuff. The X system is a system of compromises, and I think they do very well there too, but clearly it is down-budget from Fuji's more common stuff.

And I don't know what you mean with "always better" No, it is not always better, only when ultimate quality is the main target, with no serious secondary considerations. If size and weight and cost are issues, then it is not always better.

Oct 01, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

I just meant, it shouldnt be taken that quality is like X system lenses (which like Canon G7x are too software polished, every single of them).

Im sure you know that, but does everyone else?

Oct 01, 2014 at 03:06 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New Canon G7x ...yikes!

I think most modern lenses are. The Sony A7 system lenses are also, even the famous FE55 I don't think it is a bad thing, it keeps lens size and price down, and still gives very good quality. We just have to keep a wary eye on the lenses released to make sure that they don't exaggerate and sacrifice too much quality!

Oct 01, 2014 at 03:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.