New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · We Love Our Godchildren

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · We Love Our Godchildren

The boys were kind enough to humor me with some quick snaps while I was in town visiting a few weeks ago. I had to teach the younger one about bribes in order to secure cooperation.

Jalen
http://www.bainesphoto.com/files/gimgs/20_godchildren-2.jpg

Zion
http://www.bainesphoto.com/files/gimgs/20_godchildren-1.jpg

As always, any feedback is appreciated whether positive or negative, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Sep 29, 2014 at 05:26 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · We Love Our Godchildren

Good looking kids. Great smile from the little one and the sort of awkward pose totally works with his age and super hero PJs. It really says "this is me, and I'm a kid".

I'm curious about the advantage of having the older boy turned slightly, as opposed to straight profile. I ask because I suspect you were very deliberate with his position and probably have a very good reason for it.

--David

Sep 29, 2014 at 09:49 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · We Love Our Godchildren

Great looking shots. From the look of that smile the bribe must have been a good one?

Great looking light in them both.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · We Love Our Godchildren

Thanks to you both.

I was watching a video once of a skilled traditional portraitist of the Monte Zucker school, and he commented that the ideal position for a profile allowed you to see the far eyelashes, but not any of the far eye. While I'm not a stickler for rules, I've found that often this position achieves the most "engaged" profile due to its slight turn in, as opposed to a "perfect" profile that tends to be slightly more remote.

In any case I tend to start there, but during posing I have nearly every subject do a slow 180deg rotation of their head to observe which angles work best for a given facial structure.

There was going to be no posing the little one. We just talked. I offered him $5 to allow me to take his photo and he suggested that $10 would be more appropriate.

Sep 30, 2014 at 03:22 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · We Love Our Godchildren

Ha, I hope you didn't give him ten! The going rate here is an ice cream for three shots. At least my girls imagine it is.

Good shots, esp the great smile in #2.

Sep 30, 2014 at 07:55 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · We Love Our Godchildren

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Ha ha, $10.00. Smart kid.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.