New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

lowside67
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

Hello everybody,

From my understanding, the reason that the 5D3 has such different buffer capacities when writing to CF or SD is because the SD slot is not of a UHS-I type which allows the fastest speed cards. The specs on Canon USA's website show virtually identical results for maximum burst settings for CF (UDMA7) and SD (UHS-I). Am I interpreting this correctly to infer that the 7D2 has a new type of physical slot that will allow for the fastest SD media available?

Cheers,
Mark

7D3 specs:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#Specifications

5D3 specs:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Specifications

Sep 29, 2014 at 03:52 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

I remember reading the specs when it came out, it looks like Canon unnerf'd the dual card slots (which was silly to begin with)

Sep 29, 2014 at 03:57 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

Looks like they got it right this time.
Very promising spec compared to the 5D3. The SD slot on the 5D3 is useless for fast shooting.

Oct 01, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

yeah I saw that the SD slot was fast(er) on the 7D2 .

interesting question then .

could Canon (not that I think they would) produce a firmware update to bring the SD slot upto speed ? or is it a physical difference? .

also regards the 7D2 . does anyone know what the Raw+Jpeg buffer is ? until the FW2.0 the mk1 was a pointless 6-7 , while after it was a much more usable 18 (even using the exact same old slow CF cards I had) .

the Crappy RAW+Jpeg buffer in the 5D3 is probably my only gripe with my 5D3 (well the SD speed is another i guess )

Oct 01, 2014 at 01:05 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

tonytastic wrote:
I remember reading the specs when it came out, it looks like Canon unnerf'd the dual card slots (which was silly to begin with)

Canon didnt nerf it, the digic chips are off the shelf DSP parts and have limited capabilities.

Oct 01, 2014 at 02:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

Maximum Burst (RAW)

CF Card: Standard=24, UDMA=31
SD Card: Standard=24, UHS-I=26

That shows me that only two extra frames are being written to the standard SD card compared to UHS-I, which is less than a third of the delta between the standard CF and UDMA 7 card. Of course there is not enough info presented to calculate accurate speeds.

EBH

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:24 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7D2 Compact Flash vs SD Card

And for those ramping up for the 7D2 for cards, this seems like a good deal. Use coupon code WELCOME10% for an extra savings.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store?SiteID=sdiskus&Action=DisplayCategoryProductListPage&categoryID=67844300&resultsperPage=100

Oct 02, 2014 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.