retief
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

I am starting this thread and poll, Nancy will add her bits below. This is a
picture that I am quite jealous of which Nancy took on a trip to San Francisco
using our Nikon V3 with the kit lens. The Poll question should be obvious,
Nancy will now add her comments as to what she likes and why, then I will
add the 2 images. I will refrain from voting, as I am somewhat biased.

Hi there, I took this picture of jellyfish at the Monterey Aquarium. I prefer the
picture with all the bubbles and stuff floating in the water because I think it
gives it a feeling of floating in outer space. Like an alien form of life in our
heavens.

OK, I'm back now. Look at the pictures as if you were going to critique any
random images, not knowing who the photographer is. Be nice, it is not that
I don't trust you, but I do need to live here. Seriously, this meant to be a
learning experience. And I reiterate, I am incredibly jealous of this picture,
I most certainly wish I had taken this myself, and been able to "see" how
neat it looks. OK, who is going to be first?

No Spots:
http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Family-and-Friends/Misc/WithNoSpots.jpg

With Spots:
http://deweydrive.com/photos/var/albums/Family-and-Friends/Misc/WithSpots.jpg

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Both have their appeal ... but I think the one with spots presents itself as the more unique of the two.

I'd recommend reducing the size of the watermark though, it is rather distracting at that size. Also, these look rather nice and the font of the watermark could benefit from a more classic look, imo.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:14 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

As it is, I prefer the first for the 'dark deep ocean' look. The second just looks like out-of-focus stars. Jellyfish shouldn't float in space. They float in the ocean.
Maybe you could do with the spots more toned down and darker.

Well-seen indeed - very cool colors/shapes/texture/detail.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

I feel that #1 is the more interesting of the two. My reasoning is this; the photos should be telling a story, and the story being told with these particular photos is all about the jellyfish. With that in mind, the first photo is all about the jellyfish whereas the second photo muddles the story with extra "noise". Had the floatsom been larger, more distinct air bubbles for example, then it might have added something to the photo. As it is, for me, the extra noise in #2 doesn't work.
Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Keeping you confused:
I prefer the jellyfish in space feel of the second
Both are quite fine and worthy of some jealousy
And, as others have pointed out, say different things
Color, detail on the central subject is excellent

Scott

Sep 29, 2014 at 05:45 AM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

I MUCH prefer the first. I instantly thought sensor dust for the second one. It looks somehow unclean. Nice shot otherwise.

Ill second the watermark removal. It seriously detracts from the photo. If its there to protect the image, it can be removed by someone in PS in 5 seconds. If it is there for information, make it small and unobtrusive.

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

As noted by previous comments you will get differing opinions. Myself, I prefer the clean look of image #1 but ultimately choose whichever version you prefer as they are both very nice.

Sep 29, 2014 at 09:04 PM
retief
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Thanks for all the replies to date. Nancy appreciates this as well, I will let her reply later if she wants to. A bit more background. The image "No Spots" is part of a traveling set of prints going to be judged by a bunch of camera clubs in the Pacific North West. The reason I chose the "No Spots" was to avoid judges marking the image down for "distracting bits".

As to the watermark, when I post these on my "real" site for display, any watermark will be much less intrusive. That is just a quick and dirty for my personal site. Thanks for mentioning it though, a very good point.

What is interesting, and as I expected, is that while most folks have a preference, both the images are well received. This has been on 2 different sites. More interesting to me is that I have showed this at work to "non-photographers", and they all choose the "With Spots" image Maybe that says something about us being just too darned picky, eh?

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

The little "spots" are what the jellyfish eat. Without the food it's closer to abstract art. With 'em it's life doing it's thing.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

I think your decision to remove the decision/interpretation out of the hands of others (i.e. judges) who risk misinterpretation is a good strategic call in this instance.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Bubbles would be cool, but the 'spots' look a little too much like stars. At first sight I immediately think, "Photochop - Jellyfish in Space" which is probably not the 'correct' reaction.

Sep 30, 2014 at 05:59 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

retief wrote:
.........A bit more background. The image "No Spots" is part of a traveling set of prints going to be judged by a bunch of camera clubs in the Pacific North West. The reason I chose the "No Spots" was to avoid judges marking the image down for "distracting bits".......

It depends on which direction the cameras club are. Are we talking oceanographic or amateur?

They might ask such questions:

1- Usually jellyfish are swimming side ways to oblique or vertically with the coupolle upwards. Is your picture rotated or flipped?

2- Plankton in sea water is much smaller particles and part of the habitat. The size of plankton in the image is quite large in comparison to the jelly fish......has the picture been scaled amd cropped?

3- Sharpness is critical for such pictures especially if shot in an aquarium. Quite good low noise at ISO400 for a Nikon 1 v3. Did the pic loose sharpness as cropped and/or scaled? The judges will take note of that.

4- In reality jellyfish needs some lighting for luminescence and glow. Here the background is pitch black. Re-toning the background might avoid judges inquisitive eyes.

5- Why the main jelly fish is bluish and not a paler blue for it's companions.

With all due respect to photographers who beleive that fauna/flora pictures should not be manipulated. The reality is most of them are. In case you are submitting to win, you might consider the following:

- There is field for HP sharpening the main jellyfish.
- Scaling down and bluring the picture right jellyfish to give dimensions and depth to the pic.
- Cleaning up the brown spots of the main jellyfish
- Either bluring the plankton or introducing new transparentish plnakton with a speckles brush.
- Tinting very light blue the companions.
- Enlarging the picture size to add more black all around so the picture can breathe as it is too tight.

Good Luck

Oct 01, 2014 at 12:27 AM
johan.lucas

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Great work! I like the shot without the speckles better.

But, I strongly agree with more people in this post: loose the watermark! It ruins the shot for me! It also looks like the font is Comic Sans which is widely known as the worst font in history. So if you insist on using a watermark, make it much smalles and choose another font.

All the best

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:49 AM
retief
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Thanks for your reply, very helpful, I will answer some of your comments below:

Almass wrote:
It depends on which direction the cameras club are. Are we talking oceanographic or amateur?

Not a bunch of oceanographic folks will look at this, I don't think. Just a bunch of "photographers" like us.

Almass wrote:
They might ask such questions:

1- Usually jellyfish are swimming side ways to oblique or vertically with the coupolle upwards. Is your picture rotated or flipped?

This is "as it was", these swim in this orientation, it was one of the things Nancy found interesting.

Almass wrote:
2- Plankton in sea water is much smaller particles and part of the habitat. The size of plankton in the image is quite large in comparison to the jelly fish......has the picture been scaled amd cropped?

3- Sharpness is critical for such pictures especially if shot in an aquarium. Quite good low noise at ISO400 for a Nikon 1 v3. Did the pic loose sharpness as cropped and/or scaled? The judges will take note of that.

I agree, and no crop or scaling has been done at all.

Almass wrote:
4- In reality jellyfish needs some lighting for luminescence and glow. Here the background is pitch black. Re-toning the background might avoid judges inquisitive eyes.

All the lighting was from the top of the tank, as well as any ambient light from the room. I am considering a number of things for the background, including the possibility of a less black, black.

Almass wrote:
5- Why the main jelly fish is bluish and not a paler blue for it's companions.

The simple, and honest answer, is that it IS bluer. Not sure how much this is because of the lighting or just that this particular species has different color variants. I have not researched yet, but from seeing the other pictures taken I believe it is the latter. In fact on the one on the right I de-saturated it a bit to have it more closely match the color of the one on the left. It is actually a fair bit more orange.

Almass wrote:
With all due respect to photographers who beleive that fauna/flora pictures should not be manipulated. The reality is most of them are. In case you are submitting to win, you might consider the following:

- There is field for HP sharpening the main jellyfish.
- Scaling down and bluring the picture right jellyfish to give dimensions and depth to the pic.
- Cleaning up the brown spots of the main jellyfish
- Either bluring the plankton or introducing new transparentish plnakton with a speckles brush.
- Tinting very light blue the companions.
- Enlarging the picture size to add more black all around so the picture
...Show more

We are certainly in agreement on "manipulation", it is always a choice remembering exactly what we "saw" vs. what we intended. Ansel Adams is a great example of this. Interesting suggestions, We may give some a try. I did some micro-contrast adjustments on the main jelly to sharpen things up a bit, but Nancy got annoyed when, as she said "It looks like Broccoli", so I have to be a bit careful on that front.

Oct 01, 2014 at 11:26 AM
retief
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Thank you very much for your reply. As noted above, the watermark is just a standard thing on this site, once they go up on the "presentation" site that is gone.

And what is wrong with Comic Sans I happen to like that look. Of course that is why it is on my Personal site, and not my Presentation site .....

Oct 01, 2014 at 11:27 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

FarmerJohn wrote:
As it is, I prefer the first for the 'dark deep ocean' look. The second just looks like out-of-focus stars. Jellyfish shouldn't float in space. They float in the ocean.
Maybe you could do with the spots more toned down and darker.

Well-seen indeed - very cool colors/shapes/texture/detail.

+1
Niall

Oct 01, 2014 at 04:03 PM
ckim260

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

i like the first as well. it definitely appears to be cleaner and what nrferguson said about the deep space look

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:23 PM
johan.lucas

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

About Comic Sans:

There isn't really anything wrong with Comic Sans. It was designed for a purpose - comic-book-style speech bubbles primarily, and should look funny but still easy to read. Adding a watermark in Comic Sans gives me the idea 'not to take it serious', which is obvious not what you try to achieve.

Someone once made the comparison with crocs. They are lightweight and comfortable which are all good things but would you take Obama serious when he was wearing crocs?

I would just change it to another font. Believe me, there are a lot of people anti-comic sans, especially in the editor world. There are even websites to ban Comic Sans, google it.

But this is just my view

Good luck

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:38 AM
retief
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jellyfish Picture by Nancy my Wife, we need input

Thank you for all the replies for and against the spots. I prefer them left on simply for my interpretation of the image. I appreciate the critiques.
Nancy Dewey

Oct 02, 2014 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.