New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Triggers

diamondroad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Triggers

I have two D700's and I'm about to add a D3s to my camera bag. I also have two SB-600's and two SB-700's. Which triggers would you all recommend for a D3s and two SB-700's? I have used the commander mode but I need the extra distance that triggers provide. What works for you and what didn't?

I'm about to add boudoirs to my wedding packages, so I'm also unsure about umbrellas or soft boxes? I've never really used either that much. Again, any advice?

The photos are from google and simply being used as examples.

Sep 28, 2014 at 05:15 PM
diamondroad
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Triggers

Umbrella or box? and why?

Sep 28, 2014 at 05:15 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Triggers

triggers..Pocketwizard.
Umbrellas or softbox...man that's a debate starter for sure, but since you said it's for boudoir I'd say softbox because it gives a smoother shadow edge, looks more like a real window.

Sep 28, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Triggers

I own two SB-900 flash which have more power than the flash you have. My experience with SB-700 is that it just doesn't have enough power when you start using it with softbox. For what you are wanting to do, I'd pick up a couple of used Alien Bees. Plenty of power, easy to use. I'd want a large softbox on both lights. Optimum would be 13 ft. stands, boom, Alien Bees B1600 or a pair of Einsteins. Don't forget to weight down the lightstands.

Kent in SD

Sep 29, 2014 at 05:48 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Triggers

diamondroad wrote:
Which triggers would you all recommend for a D3s and two SB-700's? I have used the commander mode but I need the extra distance that triggers provide. What works for you and what didn't?

Do you need / want TTL? If so, do you need / want FV Lock (e.g., for events)? Was the commander mode (CLS) okay for you, just need more range / insensitivity to line of sight?

If you need FV Lock, you can't use PW - the controlTL line does not support it. If you don't need FV Lock, then you can get by with a MiniTT1 on the camera with a commander flash on top (or AC-3) and FlexTT5's under the flashes.

If you like total compatibility and TTL, then just extend CLS with either the Aokatec AK-TTL or the RadioPopper PX (better range and the possibility of studio strobe control / trigger). You still need a commander (the D3 has no pop-up), and I'm liking the Debao SU-800 for compatibility (even though not Nikon) and flexibility - it is more capable than the Nikon SU-800. SB-700s are also commander-capable, but: only two groups + master, and all groups (including the Master) must be on either TTL or Manual - no mixing.

If you don't need TTL and are fully manual, but still want remote control, have a look at the RadioPopper Jr2 series.

Sep 29, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Triggers

Keep things simple. Start with a couple of convertible umbrellas. Cheaper, faster to set up, and arguably more flexible than softboxes.

Triggers? You have an abundance of options here! Pocketwizards have traditionally been the gold standard, but they are expensive, and their TTL capable versions appear to be not as bulletproof as their older models. Many of the cheapo asian trigger manufacturers have improved their products to the point where they are at least playing in the same league as PWs, reliability-wise. Yongnuo and Phottix in particular seem to have their followings, however I've been a Cactus user for several years now. First with the V5s, and now with the somewhat more sophisticated V6s, which allow remote power adjustment. While enjoying the enhanced feature set of the V6s, I'm somewhat nostalgic for the simplicity of the V5s, and would recommend these to anyone just starting down the Strobist path.

You already have the SB-600s and 700s. You should be able to pick up a couple of umbrellas, brackets, lightstands and a fistful of triggers for under $150. I'd be inclined to start here and see if it works for you before spending large on bigger strobes or fancy TTL triggers. I use both SB-700s and 900s, and while the 900 is somewhat more powerful, the 700s are adequate in a surprising number of cases.

C

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Triggers

If you just want to use speedlight, check out the YN-560 III flashes with the YN-560tx transmitter. I've owned systems 3x the cost that weren't nearly as good. I'm so happy with them, and when the YN-560 IV flash (with transmitter built in) becomes available, I'll be in heaven.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Triggers

I use the Phottix Odin triggers and I'm happy with it. What I like about it (and use a lot) is the remote zoom feature. I like setting up the speedlights on a high stand and zooming the flash to 120mm for that snoot effect. It also does TTL and HSS/AutoFP. I like the screen interface which is easy to operate. It's about $280 for the trigger+receiver and $130 for each additional receiver. Very reliable units and they use regular AA batteries.

As for light modifiers, that's a whole new topic into itself! lol I suggest starting out with the B&H Impact two umbrella kit for $99 and see if you like them. Maybe that's all you need especially if you don't have too much space in the studio. I would start there and you will learn what you want as you move on.

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:38 AM
newusaa
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Triggers

I suggest you look into Yongnuo as well. You have many options. They have flashes that actually have triggers inside of them. Then you'd just need a Yongnuo transmitter for the top of your camera. Or, you could keep your existing flashes and buy yongnuo transmitters and receivers.

Here are some reviews of Youngnuo vs Pocketwizards. Pocket wizards have a great reputation, but I personally feel they are overhyped and over priced. Both reviewers indicate that they lose no performance with Yongnuo, and actually the Yonguo perform BETTER than the pocket wizards. I have only used Yongnuo rf 603 triggers so I can't make the comparison, but I have never had a problem, and the price is right.

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:57 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Triggers

kaplah wrote:
Do you need / want TTL? If so, do you need / want FV Lock (e.g., for events)? Was the commander mode (CLS) okay for you, just need more range / insensitivity to line of sight?

If you need FV Lock, you can't use PW - the controlTL line does not support it. If you don't need FV Lock, then you can get by with a MiniTT1 on the camera with a commander flash on top (or AC-3) and FlexTT5's under the flashes.

If you like total compatibility and TTL, then just extend CLS with either the Aokatec AK-TTL or the RadioPopper
...Show more

Just switched over to TTL with the Aokatec and I'm happy with the results. It is a big improvement to the CLS system. I paid $111 for two receivers and the transmitter. CLS with little limitations!

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:04 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Triggers

Cactus V6 triggers and their own flash (RF60?) or Phottix Odin if you want dedicated TTL support.

Sep 30, 2014 at 06:08 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Triggers

Waki wrote:
Cactus V6 triggers and their own flash (RF60?) or Phottix Odin if you want dedicated TTL support.

Just to clarify, the Cactus triggers do NOT offer TTL support.

C

Sep 30, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Triggers

Uh, yeah thats what I said.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:56 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Triggers

If you're a working photographer, I wouldn't consider anything other than PocketWizards. If you want to use TTL, you'll need the Flex system. If not, the Plus III's will be fine.

I've never found using softboxes with speedlights to be much fun, but it can be done with the right box. I prefer the control that a softbox gives, but umbrellas are more forgiving if you're still learning your lighting setups.

Josh

Oct 08, 2014 at 11:50 AM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Triggers

Pocket Wizard Flex system & umbrellas you change between normal and shoot through are a good place to start.

Oct 08, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.