New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Chasing small amounts...

Brian Kirksey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chasing small amounts...

I recently shot a mayoral debate in my city. As the event was completed I was asked by a public attendie that made his way on stage and asked me to snap a picture of him and two noteworthy persons. One was the moderator/ local news anchor, and the other was a city council member. So I quickly snapped the shot and it came out pretty well.

This morning I got an email asking for the shot. I sent him a link to buy the photo through my smugmug account. He emailed me back and said he liked the photo and was hoping it would be alright to copy it... OMG...really..

The picture is clearly purchasable through the link.. I feel why is it so hard to get someone to spend $10-$20 on a photograph that they really want. Why does it feel I am wasting my time chasing small amounts of money and getting wrapped up in emails back and forth? I thinks its kind of odd that I need to explain why they should volunteer or be happy paying the small fee or picture price. Now I am questioning am I asking or expecting too much.
This is the third time this month I have gone down this same road within emails from various people I have met. My thoughts are reeling so I have not written him back, but I thought about writing him back and reminding him the photo is copyrighted material.

This is a good photo!
Do you mind if I copy the picture? I really like it.

Any advise on how to proceed with this kind of stuff in the future would be appreciated. TY

Sep 28, 2014 at 04:26 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chasing small amounts...

If the purchaseable pictures are prints, why don't you suggest that he can buy a picture from the link, but as he asked so nicely he can also have a (limited resolution) version to email friends / use on Linkedin etc AFTER he has made the initial purchase.

Sep 28, 2014 at 05:00 PM
Brian Kirksey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chasing small amounts...

Thats is a wonderful idea.

Sep 28, 2014 at 05:04 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chasing small amounts...

You are not the only one that gets this. I do different kids sports/ activities and get parent procrastanating over a $20 purchase like they are making a major investment with their entire life savings.

I have told people " It's a photo, I have deliberated less over buying a used car." Some of them I think are trying it on to get a discount, some are obviously genuine.
Frankly they ship me to tears. You either want the damn thing or you don't.

Fortunately as I work in volume markets someone else comes along and I have a reason to say to the first person, " Cash or card" to give them the hurry up. I have learnt to be Pushy because if you are placid you can be there all damn day with these clowns.

In this case I think the suggestion made was an excellent soloution.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:41 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chasing small amounts...

On SmugMug, you can tell then that they can get the digital download. Click on the Buy button and the Downloads tab. (Don't forget to set your different pricing, by resolution and with and without Printmark.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:15 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chasing small amounts...

Take it down because he'll copy it anyway.

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.