1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Fred,
This is a wonderful feature. Thanks - and here's mine.
Dave

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:57 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Thanks Fred for adding this feature. It was hard to decide, but this process of curating my own work is one that I am trying to get better at. Narrowing down which to include is a nice problem to have.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:53 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Mine's all done - thanks Fred!

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:55 AM
Joeri89
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Nice feature, and good that the number has been kept fairly small. A portfolio should only have a handful of your best shots

Here's mine

Sep 30, 2014 at 05:30 AM
jason.alabama
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

This is a great feature. Worked to upload from my iPad.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Joeri89 wrote:
Nice feature, and good that the number has been kept fairly small. A portfolio should only have a handful of your best shots

Here's mine

Indeed. I was schooled to create 8-image photo essays. It's a great discipline while my Flickr page is a mess.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Steve Spencer wrote:
Thanks Fred for adding this feature. It was hard to decide, but this process of curating my own work is one that I am trying to get better at. Narrowing down which to include is a nice problem to have.

We've all taken thousands of photos and love most of them. Choosing our best 15 is no easy task.
I suggest starting with bigger ranges like best 100 and then narrow them down to best 50, best 25 to finally your top 15 to upload.
Best,
Fred

Oct 01, 2014 at 12:32 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Well, I have done step 1, my 95 top shots...

Ugh. What have you done to us, Fred?

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:51 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Me on the other hand is trying to find 15 worthy :-)

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Ahem My 95 are not all presentable, they include both best shots and favourite shots, and the latter category is rather loose...

Having said that, from memory, I can't imagine that you couldn't find 15 great shots. Especially if you are allowed to include shots of your gorgeous Volvo

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

well crap, this is hard.

i have themes and 15 pictures up, but i clearly need to do a better job organizing my photos and rating as i process. i will definitely be replacing a number of these as i browse my archives…

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Now all we need is a Like button and count beside each image

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

carstenw wrote:
Now all we need is a Like button and count beside each image

that would actually be pretty valuable. i'm always surprised by the pictures of mine that other people seem to like here and on flickr.

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Yes, exactly. I know which ones I like best, but I don't know which ones people in general like best.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Alright, my three representing Berlin are up

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:44 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

carstenw wrote:
Yes, exactly. I know which ones I like best, but I don't know which ones people in general like best.

This can go both ways: it can be very useful but also leading to the opposite. It is useful when some art work/photography needs to be selected for an exhibit for example and the photographer wants to have most visitors in general attracted to shown photos. Same is true when photos are intended to be sold - we would most likely show those which are most liked in general.
On the other hand, it can be counterproductive if an artist/photographer has a unique personal style which does not match to the general mainstream. Then most photos wouldn't be liked as often but they might be for specific reasons the "best of" for the photographer her/himself. This person would not benefit at all from likes or visitor counts because she/he just follows a passion.
This said, I overall agree that a "like" and/or counter button would be a good idea. It still can be ignored if someone simply follows the own photography style and doesn't care what others think or like.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Yes, agreed. It is feedback, one can ignore it or do something with it, as wanted.

I would find it interesting to know which photos people like most. I am very emotionally invested in some of my photos and find it hard to think dispassionately about them.

Okay, I'm done. Man, I had to leave out about 6 of my very favourite shots!

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Critique is super hard. Not many take the time to really look and leave comments. I know that from participating in a "feedback circle" and from other places at the Net. No matter how much I think I shouldn't care about parts of critique that is negative I always get a little bit hurt. Not for long though! In the end it's always good to learn about unexpected ways ways people look at ones images.

Here you go Carsten: I like most of your images in the current Top 15 crop of yours. But - I have felt more drawn to several other images you have taken than to any of the ones you picked here. Those I liked more I, IIRC, were less correct/technically perfect and offered more to discover, even some surprises. I'm not sure what you can do from this.

A simple thumbs up button is pretty boring. I would like to see a possibility to leave a comment, and there should be place for many comments and they should all be hidden until one clicked a "View/Type Comments-button". No anonymous comments of course.

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:36 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

Thanks for the critique, but since I don't know which of my current images you don't like, and which of my other images you prefer, I am not sure what to think about it

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:01 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Your "Top 15" Gallery for all members

I finally got around to posting my Top 15 which is at least in a preliminary form. The first 8 images are all older images shot on transparency material with 4" X 5", Leica R 35mm, and my Mamiya 7II cameras. The remaining 7 posted images were shot digitally with my Sony A7r and one with my Fujifilm X-E1 cameras.

Rich

Edited on Oct 03, 2014 at 11:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password