Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

mmorey79
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

So I participated in a Roberts Photo sponsored seminar with Marc Lebryk where we got to shoot the Indy 11 NASL soccer game. It was a great time, soccer isn't my normal subject matter but I like trying new things. I've shot my friends playing daytime 20's and 30's rec league soccer but nothing like the pro's. I picked up a 400 f2.8 rental and was apprehensive at first that it might be too much focal length and weight, but it turned out to be a great tool. I think I got some OK shots for a newbie, but they're nowhere near what the pros that shoot these games do. It was an interesting learning experience including shuffling cameras as the play got close. C&C welcome, though this is a one time thing they've talked about doing more field sports workshops so you can always learn more.

Sep 28, 2014 at 01:32 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

Mike,

Pretty good work there. You got some decent action with #1 being the strongest.
Soccer is one of the toughest sports to shoot having to concentrate on getting the focal point locked on a target that could be radically moving in any direction. Regarding #1 if you look carefully the focus appears to be on the behind player, ie Cory Millier vs Daniel Johnson(CAR). Minor but still important is post process leveling any shot that's tilted. Is there anymore room on the last one to allow a re-leveling?

Keep shooting, it gets better
Matt

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:28 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

Curious what metering mode you used, Matrix?

Sep 28, 2014 at 06:30 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

I won't offer any suggestions, I will leave that to Matt and others who know more than me. However, they do look a little dark on my monitor.

I will say, for a first attempt, I think they pretty good and I would be happy with them.

Don

Sep 28, 2014 at 06:59 PM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Soccer - Indy 11 vs Carolina

schlotz wrote:
Mike,

Pretty good work there. You got some decent action with #1 being the strongest.
Soccer is one of the toughest sports to shoot having to concentrate on getting the focal point locked on a target that could be radically moving in any direction. Regarding #1 if you look carefully the focus appears to be on the behind player, ie Cory Millier vs Daniel Johnson(CAR). Minor but still important is post process leveling any shot that's tilted. Is there anymore room on the last one to allow a re-leveling?

Keep shooting, it gets better
Matt

Yeah I noticed that on the first shot but didn't think it was noticeable unless you were looking pretty hard. I thought I leveled the last one but maybe I picked the wrong line in LR I think I used the edge of the grandstand?

As for metering I only shoot manual under lights, it was in matrix metering but it wouldn't have mattered. I'll have to recheck on another screen, they looked ok on my mbp but they may be on the darker end of some people's taste.

Sep 28, 2014 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.