Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Can anyone confirm/deny if the Non IS version is the same optically as the IS version?? (version I)..

If they differ in IQ, how so?

Reason I ask....I have the VII. Never use the IS.....always sports high SS....Wondering if I could obtain 99% of IQ with the Non IS version......

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:16 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad wrote:
Can anyone confirm/deny if the Non IS version is the same optically as the IS version?? (version I)..

Reason I ask....I have the VII. Never use the IS.....always sports high SS....Wondering if I could obtain 99% of IQ with the Non IS version......

Thanks.

I guess with 300 f/2.8 non-IS you could get close to 90% or so of 300 f.2.8 IS MkI IQ.
However, if the 300 f/2.8 non-IS fails on you, you are looking at 0 % IQ probably for good.
Also, need to remember that the IS version has a much faster AF drive than the non-IS lens.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:54 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

that's exactly what I wanted to know....

I had forgotten that Canon refuses to service the original 300mm.....

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

So perhaps should look for a 300 v1 IS......anybody want to trade??

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

My first non-IS 300/2.8 that I sold almost 10 years ago was sharp and fast.

Lens can go out of alignment after some time. I recently bought the non-IS recently which was not sharp and exhibits purple fringing. I was glad the seller took it back, but I had to pay for shipping both ways. That was an expensive ($150) one day rental

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad wrote:

That sounds better to me. The MkI and MkII (the IS versions) are relatively close performance-wise .......in the case of my lens copies it was very close. The major difference between those two happens when they are coupled with 2xTC MkIII. The MkII 600mm combo's AF is quite a bit more responsive and probably has a bit better IQ then the 600mm combo based on 300 f/2.8 IS MkI..

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Another gloom and doom thread, if Canon doesn't service it, it retains only scrap value.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

As to doom and gloom.....can they be repaired? Are parts still being made?? What gives?

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad wrote:
As to doom and gloom.....can they be repaired? Are parts still being made?? What gives?

Yes, in principle the non-IS version can be repaired by a few skilled Canon lens/camera service shops (independents), but not Canon themselves, if they happen to have the right parts required, or perhaps no parts would be required for your repair if you are really lucky.
As far as we can tell, those parts are not being made nor supplied any longer, but there are a few perhaps available on eBay. Some independent shops such as KEH might have a few defective lenses that they have been scavenging for healthy parts.

My own experience, as well as what I hear from others, is that if an old lens such as 300 f/2.8 non-IS or 200 f/1.8, or 500 f/4.5L, fails or breaks, that is a very difficult problem to remedy today.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad wrote:

Thanks.

not quite, but very close on avg, so better than 99% of other lenses, it weighs a bit more

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Too bad it is not like cars....Where used parts must be made available for 20 years after discontinuing....

Sep 28, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

All this doom and gloom will be about the VI IS lenses no longer serviced in a couple years. And people will post they don't have much value any more.

Sep 30, 2014 at 05:57 PM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

I suspect there is a difference simply because of the glass setup, the older non-IS has 8 groups/10 elements while the IS version has 13 groups/17 elements. I personally own the older non-IS which I paid 50% of what a used v1 IS would have cost me and I love it to bits but I'm very aware of the ticking clock. I have done a very quick comparison to a friend's IS v1 and found no visible difference at 300mm and f/2.8, but my non-IS doesn't do so good with a 2x III extender while the IS v1 holds up rather nicely. My non-IS sings with a 1.4x II though. I also had a feeling the IS v1 had a tiny, tiny dash less of CA than my non-IS, but it was too close to tell for sure - the non-IS rocks the lack of CA department despite it's old age.

Here's a frame from my non-IS at 300mm and at f/2.8:

Redwing by Kiddi Kristjans, on Flickr

Sep 30, 2014 at 06:27 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

gordorad wrote:

I'm the lucky owner of Petkal's 300 2.8 v1 IS. It is truly exceptional, and I quite enjoy it. A trade for a V2?...I probably can't afford it, but I'm listening

Bob

Sep 30, 2014 at 08:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Prevelige wrote:
I'm the lucky owner of Petkal's 300 2.8 v1 IS. It is truly exceptional, and I quite enjoy it. A trade for a V2?...I probably can't afford it, but I'm listening

Bob

Bob, I simply loved that lens of yours. I think I've had 3 brand new copies over the years, and started with the non-IS version, but that last one was the nicest copy of them all.
I still believe that 300 f/2.8 IS MkI is the best lens per $ (i.e., cost effective) of the whole 300 f/2.8 family.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:17 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Peter, I'm quite happy with it, but also use it frequently with a 2x, so improvements in IQ @600 are intriguing.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Prevelige wrote:
Peter, I'm quite happy with it, but also use it frequently with a 2x, so improvements in IQ @600 are intriguing.

Bob, the MkII at 600mm might be a bit sharper, but that is like splitting hairs. The only noteworthy difference IMO is the AF responsiveness at 600mm: that is where 300 MkII + 2xTC III shows a marked improvement over 300 MkI + 2xTC III..

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

kiddik wrote:
Here's a frame from my non-IS at 300mm and at f/2.8:

I like that shot a lot.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Original Canon 300mm 2.8 Non IS.....Same IQ as the IS version??

Peter, thanks for clarifying. I haven't had issue w focus acquisition speed, so I'll stay put for the moment. Best!

Bob

Oct 01, 2014 at 05:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.