end

Archive 2014 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

LCPete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Thanks jbp
good point about sensor cleaner I'd better bring my kit
I guess that I will have to carry it in hand luggage though I once put a bottle of sensor fluid in my suitcase hold luggage and it was empty when I got there I guess the pressure caused it to evaporate

I'm going to take my macbook and three external drives to make sure that I don't lose any pictures
I will probably have to wipe cards and reuse them but have bought extra cards but figured that with three externals I should be safe, have just ordered and additional Toshiba 1TB one
ill have a look at the RRS setup probably will make something up myself I will only probably use it once and am already overbudget
thanks for the advice much appreciated
pete

Oct 01, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Matt Drown
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

My workflow for duplicates of pictures was each night to pull from CF, convert to DNG, and copy to two external drives. One of which traveled with me, and the other stayed at camp. It's not perfect, but does make life easier.

re: sensor cleaning, a nice blower will probably solve all your problems. You can end the day shooting a f16 blue sky shot to find the dust if you want.

With all this advice we're giving you, make sure you do a test pack, and then remove stuff, so that you can actually manage. I know I brought too much stuff on my trip.

Oct 01, 2014 at 03:09 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Matt Drown wrote:
My workflow for duplicates of pictures was each night to pull from CF, convert to DNG, and copy to two external drives. One of which traveled with me, and the other stayed at camp. It's not perfect, but does make life easier.

re: sensor cleaning, a nice blower will probably solve all your problems. You can end the day shooting a f16 blue sky shot to find the dust if you want.

With all this advice we're giving you, make sure you do a test pack, and then remove stuff, so that you can actually manage. I know I brought too
...Show more

Thanks Matt I've got a blower packed already
will do a test pack good idea, I wont be taking all the lenses out on the jeep each day probably take two bodies and three lenses including the 17-50
One problem that I always have when taking camera gear on holiday is the carry on weight allowance, its 7 kilos for Emirates who I'm flying with pretty sure that I can manage that by splitting my gear between myself and my wife but will check weigh tomorrow the two camera bags loaded up
thanks again
Pete

Oct 01, 2014 at 06:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

docsmiles17 wrote:
...didnt read all the posts and just read you struggled with 100-400 in low light. I had the same issue in africa and wouldn't bring it when I go back. I don't see a need for 3 bodies IMO. Bring the lenses you like to shoot with most (sharpest, fastest, best IQ, etc) with covering the focal lengths you need and/or want and be careful on advice on which lenses others tell you to bring...as I found out the hard way.

I've seen many cameras suffer damage or malfunction on safari. Redundancy is a key risk mitigation strategy.

EBH

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Matt Drown wrote:

With all this advice we're giving you, make sure you do a test pack, and then remove stuff, so that you can actually manage. I know I brought too
...Show more

Maybe so, but only if the blower is clean. I once made the mistake of using a new blower and the sensor looked like the milky way afterwards - thousands of tiny dust particles.

EBH

Oct 01, 2014 at 08:01 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

EB-1 wrote:
I've seen many cameras suffer damage or malfunction on safari. Redundancy is a key risk mitigation strategy.

EBH

Good point I'd better bring my old 40D along too as a plan B/third body it will have to go in the suitcase though I'm already going to be on my carry on weight limit

I wish Canon used the same battery on their different camera models though, I'm going to have to carry three sets of batteries and chargers

Oct 01, 2014 at 09:01 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Morning all an update on how I got on
The south Luanga national park is a wonderful place and we definitely will go back
We saw leopards every day and lions Hyenas and also painted (wild) dogs as well as lots of antelope
for shooting from an open jeep I found that a beanbag if I could get one of the front seats on the railing behind the driver was the best solution
this worked really well I was able to get quite low shutter speeds for a tele lens
If I wasnt able to get the front seat I rested the camera on my knee as there wasn't any side supports in the open jeep
I did try a monopod but it just got in the way

I took a 550D and 7D but found the buffer on the 550D limiting but I worked round it but I did get my best shot with the 550D and 70-200f4
I also took the 100-400 and 300 2.8 mk2
The guide was able to get us quite close to the animals so I just used the 300 2.8 on my 7D most of the time
Together with the 70-200F4 on the 550D this was the perfect combination
I did also take a 17-50 2.8 but didn't use it much except for a few scenes it got a bit hectic sometimes so didn't change lenses very often
The 300 2.8 is brilliant in low light and ended up not bothering with the 100-400 as sometimes the animals were in shade and this lens isn't so good in low light

I took lots of memory cards but uploaded each day onto a external drive and then copied them across to two more drives for backup

3 drives may have been overkill butI had to reuse cards after a few days so wanted to be sure that I didn't lose anything

I didn't find that dust was a problem at all on a couple of occasions I used a 1.4 and 2x tc and didn't have any problems with dust getting onto the sensor
Thanks again for your help guys

Edited on Nov 22, 2014 at 01:50 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2014 at 01:21 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

LCPete wrote:
The south Luanga national park is a wonderful place and we definitely will go back
We saw leopards every day and lions Hyenas and also painted (wild) dogs as well as lots of antelope
for shooting from an open jeep I found that a beanbag if I could get one of the front seats on the railing behind the driver was the best solution
this worked really well I was able to get quite low shutter speeds for a tele lens

I took a 550D and 7D but found the buffer on the 550D limiting
...Show more

great....looking forward to seeing some images as well...

Nov 22, 2014 at 01:29 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Happy to hear the safari went well and the gear functioned as expected. Africa has a special attraction to it, maybe because it is the birthplace of humanity.

Show us some shots when you get around to it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 01:46 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Thanks doc and jb will post some pics up am working my way through them at the moment

Nov 22, 2014 at 01:53 AM
Matt Drown
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

LCPete wrote:

Thanks for the update, when are you going back?

looking forward to the pictures.

Nov 23, 2014 at 01:08 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

I'm glad it worked out for you. I recently returned from a safari and really am rethinking the lenses for next time. One participant had the 200-400/4 1.4TC and I played with a bit. The decision is made.

EBH

Nov 23, 2014 at 02:19 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Thanks EBH
it was an amazing trip and I'm really happy with the shots that I came back with
hope you had a good trip too
one day we will go back there
our next big trip will be the Pantanal for the Jaguars, will have to save up first though!
I was thinking of hiring the 200-400/4 1.4TC for the Pantanal actually as thought that it would be easier to use one lens and body in a boat rather than try to mess around with two cameras and TCs and I remember someone on here finding that that lens was perfect for that situation

Edited on Nov 25, 2014 at 06:37 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2014 at 06:30 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Matt Drown wrote:
Thanks for the update, when are you going back?

looking forward to the pictures.

Hi Matt will be a while before we go back as we want to go to the Pantanal for the Jaguars next and will take a while to save up, but am definitely going back the South Luanga as it was a wonderful experience and am really happy with the pictures that I bought back
I have posted some pics of the Leopards and will post some more of the other animals

Nov 25, 2014 at 06:36 AM
Matt Drown
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Quick link to your posts for the curious:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331374/0
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331972/0

Looks like you had fun, and got some pictures, congratulations!

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · shooting from landcruiser on safari

Matt Drown wrote:
Quick link to your posts for the curious:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331374/0
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331972/0

Looks like you had fun, and got some pictures, congratulations!

thanks Matt and thanks for posting the links

Nov 25, 2014 at 06:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.