New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

I read that a Navajo guide is required if a photographer wants to spend some time photographing down in the valley
Is this correct?
Can anybody recommend a guide they have had a good experience with?
Thanks,
Bob

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Alan Louie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

I went down there about 5 years ago without a guide. I'm fuzzy on it, but you have to essentially not photograph any of the farming or natives down there, and the only thing really clear is the cliff dwelling. Example shots from both above and below follow

http://www.alanlouie.com/node/5339

Guides may be available for more open photographing but I don't know.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:09 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

I was there about 5 years ago as well and my experience was the same as Alan's. I had no problem hiking down to the White House ruins but as he said we weren't supposed to photograph the farming or natives which you pass through during the hike. They do offer tour guides there if you'd like to hire one but I can't recommend and since I didn't hire one. From the top the hike to the ruins was about 2.5 miles round trip.

So I suspect what you heard may be correct, if you want to spend a fair amount of time exploring the valley floor, you'd probably need to hire a guide.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:13 AM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

I've been three or four times. Only the white house ruins trail and any of the overlooks is allowed without a guide. If you want to do a jeep tour through the canyon or hike down from one of the other trails you can hire a guide at the visitor's center or the lodge. I have done one of the hikes and it was fun but photographically the shots are all from the top or the bottom.

Sep 29, 2014 at 02:05 PM
ChuckLyons

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

Hi Bob
I was their this spring and signs were posted that said you need a guide to enter the canyon . Check at the visitors center for a guide service.
Chuck

Sep 29, 2014 at 09:06 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyon de Chelly Guide?

It's been a while since I was at Canyon de Chelley. We used Timothy Halwood, who took us into some of his family's property to view areas not accessible to other guides. It's old, but you might find some helpful tips in my old blog articles, in two parts.

http://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/monument-valley-natural-bridges-canyon-de-chelley-and-home/ and

http://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/canyon-de-chelly-a-room-without-a-view-part-ii/

Timothy Halwood's contact info is in part II of the blog links above. Having a photo guide with a 4x4 is recommended. I wouldn't go with the "normal tour" vehicles.

ken

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.