New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Teton Pano Help ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teton Pano Help ...

Took some shots to stitch together, but didn't get a great alignment @ negative space in sky. Also, have some polarizing color shift issues to try and work out.

Here's an "in progress" draft from the jpgs. Thoughts on direction to proceed with the presented challenges are welcome. Second image is a 100% crop from the jpg (not sure what kind of detail the large raw will reveal) to give an idea of the detail I've got to work with. The jpg pano is currently 17K x 3K ... raw files (not opened yet) are about 4X the size.

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teton Pano Help ...

Magnificent vista - looking forward to seeing the end product!

Bob

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teton Pano Help ...

I might crop the left side where you have the large sky notch. Not that it cant be fixed, but that it is not needed. You are going to end up with a really long skinny image otherwise.

You can select a part of sky under the blank area and stretch it into the blank area. Sometimes you get stretch marks to fix. Run NR fist to reduce it.

The most difficult area appears to me to be the missing road, that will be tough to clone back in. I would also probably cut off just to the right side of Mt Moran

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:13 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teton Pano Help ...

I was happy when I finally broke my polarizer. It ruined lots of images or at least made the processing difficult.

The sky should be easy to fix for your pano, but I am surprised that Photoshop pano stitch did such a poor job. Also why didn't you use the content aware fill?

Anyway, here is what I would do with the sky. Select the sky including the white areas. Use the blur average option to create a uniform sky color. Adjust brightness, hue, and saturation as desired. With the sky still selected, use the dodge tool with a large brush and low opacity to lighten the sky at the bottom. You can use a gradient for this but the dodge tool is quick and easy and of course you can undo or use the burn tool to fine tune this.

Next you are missing some big chunks of real estate in the bottom center. The clone tool is the only recourse. It should actually be a pretty simple task. The missing road should be easy. The sage is also easy. I have done enough patchups like this that I would guess the whole process could be done in 5 minutes or less. If you have not done this before, I can recommend keeping the clone tool at or about 100%. Otherwise you will end up with blurry areas that do not look right. And of course you will need to work at a high magnification.

Next consider the aspect ratio for this pano. Sometimes a wide pano works to capture some of the grandeur of the scenery. Unfortunately wide panos are difficult to print and difficult to frame and display. After many, many stitched panos I try to keep mine at an aspect ratio of about 1:3 or 1:4 at the widest. Of course you can always crop. I also often play with resizing and changing the aspect ratio with Photoshop. Try adjusting the aspect ratio by 10 or 20% and decide if that will work.

Finally when shooting this I would guess you had the camera in a horizontal (landscape) position. Next time consider shooting in a vertical (portrait) orientation. Shoot very wide with the horizon near the middle. You will need more frames and you will need to crop the final pano. It is of course much easier to crop than to fill in missing pieces.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:55 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teton Pano Help ...

A technique to consider is merging subsections into larger sections. Cloning the missing bits and evening the sky in the section. Use the eyedropper to sort of match the skies of the sections. Then merging the sections.

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:15 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teton Pano Help ...

Usually Photoshop pano does a great job with blending. If is fails, then I would try what Anti suggests; i.e., build the pano from sections. At one time, I recommended alternative software, but at this time, it seems that Photoshop is as good as it gets. Sometimes when I try to use the content aware fill, I have an issue and run out of computer memory. That would be another good reason to build up a pano from sections.

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teton Pano Help ...

Thanks guys.

The average/blur approach sounds viable.

+1 @ too wide a pano can be awkward. This was my first clear shot of the range and I may have other pano stitch shots to work. I think I've got a set of verticals and a set without PL also.

I just got started on this one and didn't go very far yet, before I thought I'd ask for some help. Content aware and I have never been very good friends, except on things like telephone lines and dust bunnies. Much more than that and I've not had consistent or reliable results with content aware.

Knowing that I've got a few "sets" to check out @ stitching, I suspect that I may run into similar issues, but I do think I did better on some of the others. Kinda like Jeff's leopard in the bush shot ... nerves were pretty active for a little bit. I'm not really a "bucket list" kinda guy, but the Tetons were probably as close to that for me as it comes for very "personal" reasons.

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:39 PM
ChuckLyons

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teton Pano Help ...

Rusty
The next pano you shoot set up your camera so everything is manual, ISO, WB, F stop & shutter speed , no cpl filter, Nothing in AUTO mode and shoot vertical.

Chuck

Sep 29, 2014 at 08:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teton Pano Help ...

Thanks Chuck.

+1 ... I typically shoot manual and vertical with appx 25% - 33% overlap for stitching.

Sep 29, 2014 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.