New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

I have been using lightroom for some time and have struggled to get the same look of image after it is exported vs how it looks in lightroom. An example image opened up in LR as RAW and Exported with 100% quality and no resizing. The exported image is a bit warmer and seems to have more artifacts than what I would expect for a file with such high quality export. Issue persists when I sharpen for screen, export for web or export smaller. Export color profile in exporter is set to sRGB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:01 PM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

Hi thedutt

I don't believe Irfanview is a color managed application so if an sRGB image is viewed on a wide gamut monitor, then you would get the extra saturation effect. [more info in ADDED EDIT below]
Here is a link that talks about this particular issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=irfanview+color+management&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Try viewing you image on a color managed browser such as Safari or Firefox and see if it matches what you see in LR

This may or may not be you issue yet thought it was worth mentioning.

ADDED EDIT - As I now understand it color management is controlled in Irfanview Preferences and can be turned on or off. Maybe a forum member with more expertise in Irtanview can provide better insight.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:26 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

Thanks John for the suggestion. I tried on firefox and it makes some difference but it still appears to be loosing quite a bit more detail than I would have thought it would.

Same issue presist when I look at the wide gamut Dell Ultra Sharp 2711 or Low end ASUS 27' IPS monitor.
Image viewed through firefox attached

John Wheeler wrote:
Hi thedutt

I don't believe Irfanview is a color managed application so if an sRGB image is viewed on a wide gamut monitor, then you would get the extra saturation effect. [more info in ADDED EDIT below]
Here is a link that talks about this particular issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=irfanview+color+management&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Try viewing you image on a color managed browser such as Safari or Firefox and see if it matches what you see in LR

This may or may not be you issue yet thought it was worth mentioning.

ADDED EDIT - As I now understand it color management is controlled in Irfanview Preferences and can be
...Show more

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:49 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

I suggest importing the JPEG back into Lightroom and compare side by side in the Library module.
- If they are identical, they there is still a color management issue among the various applications
- If they are different, then there is some modification going on in the image that is not accounted for (e.g. you are applying a preset on export or some other plugin is active on export making a modification.

I suggest that as the next step to narrow down the issue. Just a thought.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:22 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

Try exporting at a quality of 75% rather than 100%. I've seen discussions which indicate that Lr exported at 100% looses detail and 75% is the optimum. I export from Lr and use Jeffry Freidl's plugin and he recommends a quality level of 75%. My results confirm his.

Sep 29, 2014 at 06:59 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

mogud wrote:
Try exporting at a quality of 75% rather than 100%. I've seen discussions which indicate that Lr exported at 100% looses detail and 75% is the optimum. I export from Lr and use Jeffry Freidl's plugin and he recommends a quality level of 75%. My results confirm his.

Eh? Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Sep 29, 2014 at 07:48 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

Before jumping in and saying 75% is better than 100% it would be good to read the full paper that Jeff wrote. A snippet of just his summary of the analysis:

The Lightroom default JPEG export quality of 75, falling in the 70〜76 range, seems to provide for as good a visible result as the highest quality setting for all the samples except for the bridge, which seems to suffer at least slight posterization banding at all levels, including even “lossless TIFF”. The file size, even at this relatively high 70〜76 setting, is still about one third that of the 93〜100 setting, so is well worth it in most situations. Those who blindly use the maximum setting for their exports likely waste a lot of local disk space, upload bandwidth, and remote...Show more

Here is the link to the full article: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

I've read Jeffry's article many times and came to his same conclusion. I did not say one setting is better than the other. I was providing an alternative to Lr's export utility which, from my experience, has not provided the results I was expecting. Adobe, in their many releases of Lr have contended that the export to jpeg issue has been fixed which from what I've seen to date, has not been corrected. As a result, I continue to use Jeff's plugins. As always, YMMV.

Sep 29, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom export photos not as good as lightroom

I had a similar issue with irfanview. Once I turned on the color management, the photos showed better. I had to update my irfanview to the latest version in order to get the color management option.

Sep 29, 2014 at 03:37 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.