New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · sell D610 for D750?

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · sell D610 for D750?

really like my 610, but the one thing I always felt I was compromising and wished it had was my D700 or D7100's AF system...now apparently the 750 has even one upped that and focuses great in low light..other changes aren't making me drool over it..newer Expeed, higher ISO, don't care about the flip screen or video improvements..size, weight and ergonomics are apparently very similar, build appears to be stouter...it'd be close to $1000 to upgrade so not sure it's really worth it (understand worth is relative, $1000 means different things to different folk)..guess another consideration is that after a year with the 610 I have had zero problems, too early to tell how the new 750 will be in this regard..anyway, appreciate some perspectives...guess the bottom line is if the D610 had the new AF I wouldn't be posting this, or for that matter they probably wouldn't have made the 750.

2014 Harley's come standard with ABS and I bought a 2013...lol...can't afford to be upgrading cameras and motorcycles like iPhones

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Canyonlands
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · sell D610 for D750?

Nikon certainly is making it hard on us with all of these great full frame camera bodies to choose from. I have the D610 and D810. The 610 is more capable than my D700 was when it comes to the final image output. It's an amazing camera and I bought the D810 because I could, not because I had to. You might be able to better make this decision once you have the chance to get your hands on a D750. Doesn't sound like the D750 would let you down but since you don't care about a flip screen you'd probably want to make sure it doesn't bother you before you let go of the D610. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · sell D610 for D750?

thanks..yeah, at least there's no compelling urgency...just need to learn to work a little harder at certain focusing aspects perhaps..but %$#& Nikon, this is the camera I dreamed of a year ago..

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · sell D610 for D750?

The D750 price will remain stable for exactly one year...
The D610 will plummet starting NOW!
Sell and buy!!

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · sell D610 for D750?

hmmm..and, I still have warranty until the end of Oct..if I sold it locally and quick I could tell the buyer to shoot it like they stole it for a month and if anything crops up (pun intended) it's registered in my name and I'd be happy to send it in for repair..timing wise, if I'm going to do it the time is now....may have to throw it on craigslist and just see what happens. nothing to lose

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM
newusaa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · sell D610 for D750?

Essentially 1000 dollars for better auto focus according to your post. Unless you need that I would likely pass. That's a lot of money for better focus, since you don't care about the other new features.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · sell D610 for D750?

The way I always think of it (for these 'close to lateral' upgrades)

1) How many shots have I missed because my current rig lacks (fill in the blank) feature(s)?
2) How important were those images that I missed?

Once I start to figure that I'm missing some significant portion (or quality) of shots - and I actually think that about 5%, 1 in 20, is a very significant portion - then I start to look around at upgrades.

Or if the shots that I missed were ones I truly regret missing, then I know it is time for an upgrade.

But the point is (if it helps you) is that I don't upgrade on features but on missed opportunities. For me, these lateral upgrades are fun (heck new equipment is always fun), but don't usually make much sense. Skipping at least one generation, or more often two, has worked out well for me.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · sell D610 for D750?

If you really need the AF and FPS, then yes, otherwise, no.

How many shots are you missing due to the AF and FPS? If it's a lot, then get the D750, if not, stick with what you have.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · sell D610 for D750?

thx, good perspectives indeed..sometimes we need proper perspective when considering impulse decisions/purchases..certainly doesn't make economical sense...I definitely noticed a higher hit rate at the motocross races with my D700 than with my 610, but wonder how much having the Release + Focus option on the 700 contributed to that...pretty sure I have room for improving my technique to help compensate for action photography

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:28 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · sell D610 for D750?

The weight is very similar, the ergonomics are not. The D750 has very similar button layout, but the grip design is wildly different, with a much deeper front grip. This is IMHO a huge improvement over the D6x0's and a smaller but still significant one over the D8x0's which also have the undersized front grip Nikon's been using in the post-D700 FX bodies.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:37 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · sell D610 for D750?

I'm going to wait and see if Nikon introduces a D770 in 6 months...

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:48 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · sell D610 for D750?

I usually don't look at the "out of pocket" cost of equipment, assuming that I can afford it. I look at the annual "Cost of Ownership."

That is, how much will it likely depreciate per year. I usually calculate that on a 2 year basis, as it "smooths out" the cost and the unknowns a bit, I then compare based on the annual cost.

It also makes a difference how early in the release cycle you buy, as we all know that prices tend to "soften" a bit after the first demand is satisfied. Especially with Black Friday and similar deals.

For my Canon and Nikon "entry level" bodies, the average "Cost of Ownership" per year has been about $100 to $150 dollars, which is a bargain. That was for a Canon T4i purchased new and owned for 2 years ($125 a year, $650-$400), and for a Nikon D3200 purchased new on the board and owned for 18 months ($133 a year, $500-$300.)

On the other hand, compare a Nikon D800 purchased new for $3,000 in 2012 near release and sold in May 2014, about 2 years later for $1,800. The total cost to own was about $3,000-$1,800 = $1,200/2 = $600 per year. So $500-$600 per year is probably ballpark for those cameras.

You can look at prices and do the same thing for the D600 and D610. Or the D7100 refurb that I bought for $800 in July. That may cost about $100-$150 per year to own too, depending on a potential D7200 or similar.

+++

I would expect that the D750 would be somewhere in between. Perhaps $275 to $350 per year?

Then you would need to compare that to the current value of the D610 (maybe $1,300? Depending on the number of shots) and your estimated depreciation on that over the next 1-2 years. Maybe $1,300- $800 in 2 years, or about $250 per year? That is only a guess!

+++

It would be great to have a database with actual historical values/examples. Every time I post this I have to think through the prices again. I have a cold today and my brain is pretty fogy!

I think those costs are fairly typical for the relative price points.

The D600 and maybe the D800 cost may have been a bit higher than usual due to the Nikon quality issues that caused them to "churn" models a bit more quickly than usual. While a D800E is selling used for about $1,800 now, the Canon 5DIII is still selling for about $2,200-$2,400 used, which I think is too high! A Canon 5D4 in the spring should take care of that. Or maybe even the 7DII?

Good luck!
M.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · sell D610 for D750?

wow, that's a pile of formulas! I just never get to that level of granularity. I just reduce things to how much will it cost me to upgrade and try to judge how much enjoyment and value did I get out of it to justify it. If it's way too lopsided negatively I'll tend to forego or wait, unless it's something I want so bad I lose sleep over it

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:41 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · sell D610 for D750?

Too many formulas IMO.

For the hobbyist, everything doesn't need to be broken down to ROI, or depreciation, or net profit...

Within reason, it's what you can afford and what makes you tick...

It's a lot cheaper than a new Harley. We have a saying on my motorcycle forum "It's only mere money." You can make it back. Some things can be overthought.

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:11 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · sell D610 for D750?

ckcarr wrote:
Too many formulas IMO.

For the hobbyist, everything doesn't need to be broken down to ROI, or depreciation, or net profit...

Within reason, it's what you can afford and what makes you tick...

It's a lot cheaper than a new Harley. We have a saying on my motorcycle forum "It's only mere money." You can make it back. Some things can be overthought.

It's a lot cheaper than a new Harley.

I almost used an example of how much I lost on my 07 Softail to get an ElectraGlide and only to sell it later to get my new Heritage! If I put that formula into a database it would have crashed the hard drive..then I'd need to buy a new computer too

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:15 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · sell D610 for D750?

If you haven't already, get your hands on one and see what you think. In some ways I liked the D750 better than the D810 I ended up with (other considerations swayed my choice.) Ergonomically I was very impressed with the D750, and there were features unique to it that I could have used. If it wasn't for the current Nikon programs and the other gear I was purchasing, I would have chosen either the Df or D750 instead.

Over the D610, its a tough call. After what you likely spent on it recently, the added cost for a D750 might be hard to justify. While it wasn't my past method of dealing with things, I now tend to wait a little longer until the upgrade is significant enough for me to feel I'm ready to spend the money on it. The FX body I was coming from was the D700 - which still takes fine photos, by the way - so the change was significantly bigger than from a D610.

Ultimately, upgrade decisions end up being a personal thing. However, had I bought the D610 within the past year or so I'm not sure I could justify the incremental increase the D750 would provide unless the D610 was not meeting my needs and the D750 would. That's my 10 cents worth.

David

P.S. Regarding Harley's, I've been looking at a Heritage Softail myself. However, buying a house and possibly replacing my car will need to come before that!

Sep 28, 2014 at 07:41 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · sell D610 for D750?

ABS on a motorcycle? Got a Springer Softail and and have rode many types of bikes. Never came close to lockin-up the brakes. Sometimes bike and camera manufacturers add a lot of unneeded features. The 750 is a great camera but I would not upgrade from the 610 unless you do video or need a little better low light focus.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · sell D610 for D750?

I haven't had to lock up the brakes either in 10 years of riding, but you ride long enough and it's when, not if that little old lady or deer hop in front of you unexpectedly. IMO the more safety and control the better. But I digress, holding off on any camera upgrades, at the end of the day it's simply not worth spending $1000 for better autofocus, thanks everyone!

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:11 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · sell D610 for D750?

I'd rent one first and find out if it really makes a difference for you. If it doesn't, forget about it!
You just have gas.

Sep 28, 2014 at 01:01 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · sell D610 for D750?

glassartist wrote:
The way I always think of it (for these 'close to lateral' upgrades)

1) How many shots have I missed because my current rig lacks (fill in the blank) feature(s)?
2) How important were those images that I missed?

Once I start to figure that I'm missing some significant portion (or quality) of shots - and I actually think that about 5%, 1 in 20, is a very significant portion - then I start to look around at upgrades.

Or if the shots that I missed were ones I truly regret missing, then I know it is time for an upgrade.

But the point is
...Show more

A good post. When I start to dribble from the corners of my mouth at the thought of a new camera or lens, I sit down and ask what improvement I would see. If the answer is a small one, and the cost is high, then I pass.

Sep 28, 2014 at 03:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.