Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

When I joined FM in 2003 I was a Nikon D100 and Pentax 645 shooter. Shortly after the introduction of the Canon 20D I switched systems in search of USM and IS lenses that Nikon was slow to introduce. Some ten years later, a string of surprising bargains, damaged lenses and disappointing cameras provided the impetus to my round trip back to Nikon.

Having sold off my 6D, a pair of 7D's and a bunch of spendy L-lenses, I now find myself having to learn to "ride that old bike" again. Today was a glorious morning... at 5:30 am I found myself along a quiet river and tried out my new (to me) D800E (w < 500 actuations) and 28mm f1.8 AFS lens... I bracketed the shots, as this is a requisite in Canon land, but I am curious if one exposure is all I needed to get the dynamic range and contrast I wanted from the shot... I will post a follow up once I get a chance to load the shots in LR.

I feel as if I've come home... we'll see if it is as nice as I remember

bruce

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

I can't remember the last time I used more than 1 shot. I still bracket, just to make sure. Probably depends on how picky you are with your images. If you want top quality, I still think bracketing is the better option to reduce the noise in the shadows you will get by pushing.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

Yeah, the D800 really changed the way I shoot. Like Hardcore, I still bracket just in case, but I'm always amazed at how often just one image is all I need. More often than not, if there's a lot of DR, I just double process the same RAW image - one for highlights and one for shadows / midtones. Love that camera!

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

Congrats! The d800 (e, especially) is just an amazing camera. I'm sure you'll find it an improvement over the d100

Like Hardcore and Steve, I still occasionally bracket, but rarely use more than one of those exposures for the final image. As you've no doubt read, one of the d800s great strengths is the ability to pull detail from seemingly blocked up shadow areas.

Looking forward to seeing some shots.

C

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

Congrats Bruce, the D800E is an awesome camera!

While I still will do some bracketing, I don't do near as much bracketing as I used to. Often where I would have done 2 bracketed shots, just doing 1 will be fine now. If I am shooting into the sun itself, is when I will take 2 or 3 bracketed shots.

One other suggestion that works for me.... Even though I don't use Capture NX2 anymore for my raw conversions (I use ACR and Photoshop), what I did was turn on the DLighting to normal in the D800E. I am not using NX2 which would take advantage of the DLighting, but in camera it will give me a better approximation of the dynamic range I will be able to recover in ACR. So that gives me a more accurate feel for when I do need to bracket or not.

Have fun! And lets see that river shot.

Jim

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

I love threads like this

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

As a pixel peeper, this says it all for me:

Left: Nikon D800, ISO 100, 5 stops underexposed, RAW (NEF) image, 100% crop
Right: Canon EOS 5D MkIII image, 5 stops underexposed, RAW image, 100% crop

(From http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/Canon_EOS_5D_MkIII_vs_Nikon_D800_dynamic_range.html)

Sep 27, 2014 at 01:02 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just another in a long line of Canon Shooters who has switched...

Thanks for all of the tips. I've had the gear for about 7 days now, but this morning was the first when I finally had the opportunity to use the D800E as a landscape camera. The two river shots were made with D800E and 28 f1.8 G lens. This lens does not feel as nicely constructed as some of the top lenses, but wow is it sharp. The floral image was made last weekend on hill overlooking a field of sumac and goldenrod. The wind was blowing really hard, so rather than fight it, I let the wind paint the field... The last shot is of my wife and dogs taken on a cloudy day. I used a D300 (bought two for under $1000 and their combined shot count is less than 50,000 actuations) and the 200-400mm AFS VR1. It was this lens that tempted me back to Nikon. During the investigation of this lens, the camera store informed me that my 300 f2.8IS had some lens separation issues throughout. They offered me a fair value for an optic that was beginning to fail, so I made the jump...

I am really looking forward to fall and the new gear... In total, I now have.. D800E (used w/ <500 actuations) 2 x D300, 200-400 AFS-1, 300 f4 AFS (for my wife), 24-85 f3.5-4.5 VR (kit lens), 28 f2.8 AFS G, and the 50 f1.8 AFS G. I'm eyeing up the new 20mm f/1.8 AFS G and a 105 VR macro and I think I will have what I need until I can afford a 24mm Tilt/Shift.

thanks for your comments and keep them coming
bruce

© BTLeventhal 2013

© BTLeventhal 2013

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.