New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · 7DII

aladyforty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7DII

I was in the city today and chatted with a camera shop guy who had been given a preview of a 7DII by canon reps, they got a quick look at it, put a card in and shot some high ISO and he seemed mighty impressed with it

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:58 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7DII

Good to hear, but is this the same guy that lied to you so you drove 4 hours for nothing?

I am really surprised on the manufacturing delay from Canon; unless they had to correct a problem late in the development cycle I expected them to have the 7d2 on shelves pretty soon after the announcement. I know I got my original 7d (apparently I am not allowed to say "classic 7d") very soon after announcement and I didn't preorder.

At this rate I will probably wait until just after christmas to get one to try out - I have a wedding the first week of january and like to go shoot eagles wintering in maryland during my christmas vacation. After putting it through its paces under both circumstances, I will decide if it can replace a 5d3 or return it within the allotted window.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7DII

Nah timbop keep the 5D3 for the buttery smooth wedding files and 7D2 for those eagles.

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:52 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7DII

Rusty1 wrote:
Nah timbop keep the 5D3 for the buttery smooth wedding files and 7D2 for those eagles.

Yeah, the choice is either my current kit (2 5d3's) or a 5d3 and 7d2. I like the idea of the 7d2, but I also really like having consistent files during PP because they're from identical cameras.

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7DII

I think Canon is being pretty smart about this camera. There is a huge pent up demand for something better than the 7D especially in AF and IQ. Recent announcements have stirred the pot well and pre release copies seem to be performing better than expected, dare I say as we all hoped? So now we have a longish wait period for the 'wants' to turn into 'needs' and when the camera hits the market it will sell with a full stock behind it, a 7DII for anybody who wants one. Despite my predictions that without IQ improvements the 7DII might go over like a lead baloon, I think Canon has done enough to make this another milestone camera. I think it will fly.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:58 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7DII

timbop wrote:
Good to hear, but is this the same guy that lied to you so you drove 4 hours for nothing?

I am really surprised on the manufacturing delay from Canon; unless they had to correct a problem late in the development cycle I expected them to have the 7d2 on shelves pretty soon after the announcement. I know I got my original 7d (apparently I am not allowed to say "classic 7d") very soon after announcement and I didn't preorder.

At this rate I will probably wait until just after christmas to get one to try out - I have a
...Show more

no I went to the major camera stock shop in the city where they do repairs, stock film and ALL camera and movie equipment. He said it is a big improvement over original 7D, but it will never be a 1DC , he did say mini 1DX suits

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:58 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7DII

some more samples
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoblogia/sets/72157647629974871

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:58 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7DII

Rusty1 wrote:

I agree, i want to keep my 5DIII but also have that 10 fps and reach for the birdies

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:00 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7DII

Looking at the 7DMkII's controls layout it looks much like the 5DMkIII's, it seems having one of each might make for a great combo with a smallish learning curve.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7DII

I had an opportunity to briefly fondle a 7DII today. I didn't spend a lot of time with it as I had to get back into the seminar, but it felt very 5D3-like in the hand. Very nice in that respect.

Also fondled a 1Dx briefly.

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7DII

Ferrophot wrote:
I think Canon is being pretty smart about this camera. There is a huge pent up demand for something better than the 7D especially in AF and IQ. Recent announcements have stirred the fly.

Right, it's always best for the producer of said item to hit the ground running. If there is a shortage, only the secondary sellers benefit. And sometimes this also takes away money that would otherwise be spent on buying more stuff. So it's always good to get enough supply out there before the release goes live.

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:59 PM
sdeutscher
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7DII

I also got a chance to play with a 7D mkII a couple of days ago and the viewfinder is a big step forward from everything Canon made until now. I like the control settings button around the joystick. It felt pretty solid overall.... It was a pre-production camera so I couldn't put my card in.
I will definitely buy it.
The 24 f2.8 pancake was pretty snappy.

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:11 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7DII

sdeutscher wrote:
The 24 f2.8 pancake was pretty snappy.

"Snappy" as fast focusing or "snappy" as neat-o and cute as button?

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:57 AM
sdeutscher
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7DII

Snappy as fast focusing and responsive. I tried it on a 7D mkII
It was more like an USM lens which was a good surprise

Sep 28, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7DII

That's good news. My 40 2.8 STM is pokey and regularly misses even in bright sunlight. I have the 24 STM on pre-order but it's a long wait until mid-November.

Sep 28, 2014 at 03:34 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7DII

aladyforty wrote:
some more samples

The 3200 and 6400 shots look pretty good, but the interesting thing to see is noise in shadows not highlights. It's very promising, though

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7DII

Has anyone been able to buy the camera yet?

EBH

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:37 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7DII

timbop wrote:
The 3200 and 6400 shots look pretty good, but the interesting thing to see is noise in shadows not highlights. It's very promising, though

Even the 12800 looks decent. I think it's going to be a very successful camera.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7DII

aladyforty wrote:
some more samples

Anybody seen posted BIF samples yet?

Sep 29, 2014 at 03:14 AM
Dreamliner
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7DII

I had the opportunity to test a pre-production sample at an airshow (Athens Flying Week 2014). I shot raw+jpeg with sharpening set to zero in order to add it later on the jpegs (because there is no official raw converter). The jpeg files are the best I have seen from a Canon crop camera. It handles extremely well also. It was so nice using it that it made me wanna buy one.

Edited on Sep 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2014 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.