FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

R10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

carstenw wrote:
Then neither is the APO-Makro-Elmarit, or? It only gets to 1:1 by use of an extra optical element...

Hm, I don't fancy this way of definitions. A macro lens shouldn't be defined by its magnification ratio, as any ratio is merely arbitrary.
From the point of "view" of the hardware, a true macro lens is optically optimized for its minimum focus distance, unlike non-macros, be it 1:1 or not. 1:1 is nice to have but not a reliable criteria (albeit a persistently repeated one, which neither is a criteria).
When it comes to the final picture of close-up work, many more criteria for a "macro feeling" apply anyway.

my 2ct

Mar 24, 2015 at 08:58 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

The typical definition of macro has it meaning life-size or larger. Anything else is a close-focusing lens

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:11 AM
R10

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

carstenw wrote:
The typical definition of macro has it meaning life-size or larger. Anything else is a close-focusing lens

Right. "Defined" by democracy, not by lens design.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:18 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

R10 wrote:
Right. "Defined" by democracy, not by lens design.

Which is surely relevant no ? Since it applies across all peers and is therefore not arbitrary ?

Anyway I'm not seeing any advantage of the Leica using an additional, and very expensive, optical accessory to gain 1:1 (and losing infinity) as against adding glassless extension tubes to the Zeiss MP to gain 1:1 (and lose infinity). Or am I missing something except saving hundreds of dollars ?

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM
R10

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

Frogfish wrote:
I'm not seeing any advantage of the Leica using an additional, and very expensive, optical accessory to gain 1:1 (and losing infinity) as against adding glassless extension tubes to the Zeiss MP to gain 1:1 (and lose infinity). Or am I missing something except saving hundreds of dollars ?

As for the Zeiss MP100 I can't tell. Extension tubes may work well here.
As for the Leica AME100, I was told by an engineer from Leica in Solms/Germany, that they don't recommend using this lens with extensions. According to them, the AME100 is, because of its very optical design, relatively (acc. to Leica standards...) prone to optical aberrations as soon as any extension is applied. I never tried that (had the Elpro). He also admitted that this may hardly be visible in real life.

In principle, extensions always degrade IQ of "non-dedicatedly extendable lenses" of any kind (also many macro lenses) as the optically optimal flange distance of such lenses is rather narrow. Yet, different lenses behave very differently here. Often enough only the corners are affected while the center (and the field) remains very good. Depending on DOF (usually quite small anyway with macro work) and composition, and the lens of course, this might not be an issue at all.

Cheers

Mar 26, 2015 at 05:23 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

As some might remember I was addicted to Zeiss 100 MP at some point. Loved it.
But also at some point got really tired by the amount of CA. I think it almost is part of the "look"...

Yeah, Leica 90 APO is not the same, doesn't have the same character.
But I much prefer that lens now. Unless we are talking macro, than for me it was replaced
by Voight 125 APO, which I will never sell

Mar 26, 2015 at 06:38 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

R10 wrote:
As for the Zeiss MP100 I can't tell. Extension tubes may work well here.
As for the Leica AME100, I was told by an engineer from Leica in Solms/Germany, that they don't recommend using this lens with extensions. According to them, the AME100 is, because of its very optical design, relatively (acc. to Leica standards...) prone to optical aberrations as soon as any extension is applied. I never tried that (had the Elpro). He also admitted that this may hardly be visible in real life.

In principle, extensions always degrade IQ of "non-dedicatedly extendable lenses" of any kind (also many macro lenses)
...Show more

My understanding is the flat element at the rear of the 100mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit is a contributing factor to why extension is not recommended for the lens. The flat rear element has a fixed position and does not move during focusing.

Rich

Mar 26, 2015 at 06:59 AM
johnmatrix84
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

I recently purchased the contax 100MP and love it. I took some test shots with the lens at 1:1 and have posted the sets to flickr.

In the first set, focus is on the word "just" in the center of the image in a series from f2.8 to f8. The magnification is 1:1.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131312380@N06/sets/72157651423717066/

In the second set, focus is on the word "OK" in the top right of the image in a series from f2.8 to f8. The magnification is 1:1.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131312380@N06/sets/72157651080600518/

In the third set, is a fringing test from f2.8 to f8 also at 1:1.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131312380@N06/sets/72157651423672146/

I ended up focusing the both the center and corner because I could not get the paper flat enough at 2.8 to get everything in focus.

In each set, you can download the uncompressed tifs. The files were not sharpened at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mar 26, 2015 at 07:08 AM
R10

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

naturephoto1 wrote:
My understanding is the flat element at the rear of the 100mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit is a contributing factor to why extension is not recommended for the lens. The flat rear element has a fixed position and does not move during focusing.

Rich

Yes, this is what the engineer from Leica mentioned too: "... the AME100 features an optical design, characterized by a fixed rear lens element, that makes it prone to aberrations when extended ..."

Mar 26, 2015 at 07:35 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R

You might wish to look at an archived thread here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1025651/0

I did a side by side test on the Leica 100APO vs Zeiss 100ZF2 vs Voigt125

Enjoy the reading

Mar 26, 2015 at 08:06 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.