New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

I am thinking add one mid tele in my bag.

I welcome any suggestion and view point about these two lens or some link with good samples. I don't see many 135Zeiss samples around.

Other than IQ, I prefer the way Leica focus turning direction and Zeiss's slightly longer focal length as I have pretty good Nikon 85G.

Sep 26, 2014 at 04:48 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

The pictures I've seen with the Zeiss have all looked nearly perfect from a technical point of view. Great color, extremely smooth bokeh.

I haven't seen as many (non-macro, at least) with the 100 APO. Color seems less consistent though - not as green as the 180/3.4, but not as accurate as the Zeiss. How much of this is the lens and how much is PP, I don't know. I've heard people rave about the 100 APO color compared to say the 100MP.

Sep 26, 2014 at 04:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Both are fantastic lenses. You will get EXIF only with the Zeiss (on Nikon), unless you Leitax+Dandelion the Leica. You will get stop-down metering with the Leica. I think they are both a little on the sterile side of perfection, the Zeiss probably a bit more, but both are great, I wouldn't know how to choose between them. They are both on my wish list

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Taylor Sherman wrote:
The pictures I've seen with the Zeiss have all looked nearly perfect from a technical point of view. Great color, extremely smooth bokeh.

I haven't seen as many (non-macro, at least) with the 100 APO. Color seems less consistent though - not as green as the 180/3.4, but not as accurate as the Zeiss. How much of this is the lens and how much is PP, I don't know. I've heard people rave about the 100 APO color compared to say the 100MP.

Thanks.

The images from 100APO looks always impressive to me, not on your face but with great sharpness and gentle focus transition, Bokeh. It is no question a great lens. On the other hand, I haven't see any 180f3.4 APO images really impress me

I really want hear how great this 135Zeiss will be. from what I see so far, it seems a very 'pop' lens with great color. I want confirm my impression about that lens. Especially want to know opinion about Bokeh and focus transition. As It offer one stop more and longer focal length I prefer at the expense of wrong focus direction though.

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:07 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

carstenw wrote:
Both are fantastic lenses. You will get EXIF only with the Zeiss (on Nikon), unless you Leitax+Dandelion the Leica. You will get stop-down metering with the Leica. I think they are both a little on the sterile side of perfection, the Zeiss probably a bit more, but both are great, I wouldn't know how to choose between them. They are both on my wish list

I understand, hence for the thread. If I have $2000 to burn, better to burn it right.

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:08 PM
xfxray

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Well I was in a similar position and bought the Leica. Im certain the Zeiss is sharper and has better color correction. Still, I do not regret my decision and would not trade. The 100APO is different than any other lens Ive ever owned including the 60ME and I cannot give it up.

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:25 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Michael,

I have not used the Zeiss 135mm lens. I have and have already posted these before showing my usage of the Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit lens showing its use from close-up to landscape work (kills 2 birds with 1 stone). It will definitely perform much more macro images that I am showing here. Leica Camera USA did indicate that I had a particularly good performing specimen (in the original and older form as it turns out). All images taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit and my Sony A7r and were processed in LR5.6 or LR5.5; these are not OOC.

Rich

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:31 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Michael,

Here are some images taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens with my Sony A7r. Images processed in LR5.6

Rich

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:37 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Hi, Rich, thanks for these great image samples. I think expect 180f3.4APO to WOW like 100APO is a challenge with minimal focus distance limitation. Many impressive 100 APO samples are from close range, giving me good transition and color impression. (To be fair, most Macro lens perform pretty good in that case as well.)

From 180F3.4 APO samples I have seen, other than sharp, I really can't see anything extra, maybe just because I haven't seen enough samples from it especially portrait.

I might just acquire both and use them for a while to decide which suit me better.

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:50 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

zhangyue wrote:
Hi, Rich, thanks for these great image samples. I think expect 180f3.4APO to WOW like 100APO is a challenge with minimal focus distance limitation. Many impressive 100 APO samples are from close range, giving me good transition and color impression. (To be fair, most Macro lens perform pretty good in that case as well.)

From 180F3.4 APO samples I have seen, other than sharp, I really can't see anything extra, maybe just because I haven't seen enough samples from it especially portrait.

I might just acquire both and use them for a while to decide which suit me better.

Hi Michael,

As you know the 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens was designed to perform at its optimum of infinity and does quite well as you approach infinity. The lens also performs reasonably well closer than that but the reason for the minimum focus of 2.5m was for its better to best performance. You can get around the minimum focus distance of the 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt by using the Leica Macro Adapter R. This combination should work well with a Leica M240 but as to modification for a Nikon, I am not sure if you can modify both the lens and the Macro Adapter. You can also use the 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens with the Macro Adapter R and the Leica R 1.4X Apo Extender with the Macro Adapter between the lens and the 1.4X Extender.

For my needs at this point, I am carrying my A7r with the Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lens mounted, the Contax (C/Y) 21mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon, Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2, Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit, and when I want longer the Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt and/or the the Leica 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens (often with the Leica Macro Adapter R and the Leica 1.4X Apo Extender and the Leica 2X Apo Extender). When I carry the Macro Adapter R and the 2 Apo Extenders, I carry them all connected with the Leica R lens connector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200591934780?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rich

Sep 26, 2014 at 06:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

I'd say it depends on what you want to shoot. The Zeiss has better portrait bokeh, even at like apertures (the Leica has much more structure) and I think it's a better lens for people. People who have flawless skin or who don't complain when their flaws are popping off the screen/print, anyway.

For objects/landscapes/panos, the Leica is my favorite lens. I think it will also make a great astro lens, a theory I'm hoping to test out next week.

Sep 26, 2014 at 06:10 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Is there a good reason to exlude the 100MP out of the equation? It's just too good lens to ignore. The only wrong thing I can think of is tiny bit of loca wide open, that is gone above f/2.8. Near perfect lens in my opinion and relatively "cheap".

Sep 26, 2014 at 06:48 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

hauxon wrote:
Is there a good reason to exlude the 100MP out of the equation? It's just too good lens to ignore. The only wrong thing I can think of is tiny bit of loca wide open, that is gone above f/2.8. Near perfect lens in my opinion and relatively "cheap".

Good question. Yeh, I had that lens and actually agree with you about its performance. CA is the only complain I had. Maybe also its signature is so strong that dominate the image many times.

My searching start with 135mm for longer focal length as I thought 100mm is too close to 85mm Nikon I have. And then, realize for the money I can get the lens I always wanted: in this case 100APO with 'correct' focus direction. As it is really pain for me to have mixed focus direction lens in the bag, it is confuse me for fast manual focus.

I almost got the 135mm, it is a better MP100: but with more weight 950g and nikon focus/aperture direction. I want to seek others opinion about it before made up my mind.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

Sep 26, 2014 at 07:39 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

zhangyue wrote:
Good question. Yeh, I had that lens and actually agree with you about its performance. CA is the only complain I had. Maybe also its signature is so strong that dominate the image many times.

My searching start with 135mm for longer focal length as I thought 100mm is too close to 85mm Nikon I have. And then, realize for the money I can get the lens I always wanted: in this case 100APO with 'correct' focus direction. As it is really pain for me to have mixed focus direction lens in the bag, it is confuse me for fast
...Show more

Hi Michael,

The Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit will also work well with the Leica R 2X Apo Extender when you need a 200mm focal length as well as for macro work of 1:1 as an alternative to the special 1:2 to 1:1 Elpro, though Leica recommends stopping down the lens 2 stops. Additionally, with the Macro Adapter R you can probably also use the 1.4X Apo Extender for close-up work (I have never done this myself). The big problem is to combine all of these options with the Nikon system. It would work much easier with the M240, Sony A7 system, or the Canon system.

Rich

Sep 26, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Michael, you already have one of the best portrait lenses the Leica lux 80. So if I were you I'd get the Leica 100. Its a beautiful lens. You'll be immensely pleased with it for intimate landscapes, close up objects etc. Also as you know, Leica lenses are a great investment. I have the 100APO and its one of my favorite lenses ever. It has such color fidelity and takes my breath away each time I use it. Granted, I haven't used the Zeiss 135, but I sold my 100MP in favor of the Leica. Just get it. You wont be disappointed.

Here's a sample from the Garden of Gods in Colorado with the Leica 100 APO

Sep 26, 2014 at 09:24 PM
xfxray

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

zhangyue wrote:
Maybe also its signature is so strong that dominate the image many times.

Be careful, Ive found the 100APO does this too. It gives more apparent sharpness than any other lens Ive ever touched including 50 and 100 makro planars, 120 APO makro planar, etc.

Also I want to state for the record that my least favorite thing about the Leica 100mm APO Macro Elmarit R is that I had to pay north of 20 dollars for a lens cap. Whoever is responsible for that can eat me.

Sep 26, 2014 at 09:26 PM
kururu
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

135 apo on D700 :

hanami by kuro.goma, on Flickr

Japanese wisteria by kuro.goma, on Flickr

pampas grass by kuro.goma, on Flickr

snow monkey, onsen by kuro.goma, on Flickr

Gifu, winter by kuro.goma, on Flickr

I have used 100mp and then sold to fund 135 apo, no regret except the weight :-(
Leica 100 apo still in my wishlist, 100mm vs 135mm is really different focal length.

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:12 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

I haven't had my Zeiss 135 APO that long but I am very happy with it as a landscape lens. It's large and heavy but it balances well on a DSLR body and build quality is as always with Zeiss Excellent.

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:06 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

And a few examples posted earlier here on fm

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:09 AM
SteveDK
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss ZF 135mm f2 or Leica APO 100mm

Edited, Oops!

See Next Page.

Edited on Sep 27, 2014 at 09:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.