FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Milky Way over Sedona

marcy45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way over Sedona

went looking for a new site to shoot the milky way around Sedona found a nice butte called Devils Kitchen and traveled out there to get a good shot of the stars over it a few nights ago - these are 2 shot composites with long (3min) exposures with astro tracker for the Milky Way and shorter (30 sec) exposures with some light painting for the foreground then just blended them together to get the finished shot - that way you get a great deal of Milky way and foreground from the same area - enjoy

Sep 25, 2014 at 04:44 PM
gempixel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way over Sedona

Great set!

Sep 25, 2014 at 05:21 PM
mikecable
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way over Sedona

Some superb work, well done! Thanks for posting these to the forum too, Mike C.

Sep 25, 2014 at 07:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way over Sedona

Hey Marcy,

I can't say these are superb work myself. That's not to put down the effort you put into these, but all 3 shots have some issues, so they are good, but not great.

1st, the light painting... for anyone who has done, we know that light painting can be extremely difficult. Most often uneven lighting, or it's too bright and doesn't look natural. And both of your first two shots have both issues. The light painting is not even, and especially in #1 it's too bright and doesn't look natural at all.

In #1, the Milky Way is pretty faded, now in #2, you captured the Milky Way pretty well, and I like the look of it. But in #2, the tree along the bottom is moving and blurry. So you would want to use a layer mask and use the sharper tree from #1 in the shot of #2, or perhaps just clone it out all together?

#3 is crooked. It looks like you based the shot on the Milky Way not realizing the mountain peak in it was crooked? Or maybe you didn't care? But it is crooked and looks off.

It's great to see you out being creative and trying new stuff, but in this case I think you should take the lessons learned and go back out again and try it over.

Jim

Sep 26, 2014 at 02:10 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way over Sedona

nice milky way set

Sep 26, 2014 at 07:45 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way over Sedona

I like the Milky Way in #2. However, the lighting on the rocks doesn't look "right"

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.