FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

After seeing a few fellow birding members setups. I thought it a good idea for others to show there stuff. Would be great to get more idea's and sharing of knowledge. Please contribute.
Shore birding is slow so songbirds and hummers are my main interest right now.
I'm surrounded by the swamp on 3 sides with a 1 1/2 acre pond in front of swamp. My sign on tree was painted red to attract hummers flying overhead and then find feeders. Need to repaint. I have about 6 feeders lined up at end of carport. As of now I counted about 15 but had at least 40 within last 10 days.

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/157567619.HfDgTa3T.swamphouse.jpg

This pic shows backyard with songbird feeders. Oak tree is haven for hummers when scared as they hide in oak tree waiting to go to feeders. Much needed for hummers close by.Blind is covered with netting when in use. I have a limb attached to feeder for wood peckers. Fill holes with suet to attract and photograph them. I made dove guards out of old dog cage. Gaps need to be around 1 5/8 inch to keep em out. Everythang else passes through.

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/157567621.TLx3rBsI.feeder1.jpg

This is a close up of home made bird feeder. I've learned they don't give a dayum as to what it looks like as long as there is food in it....ha! Mixing bowl is the best solution I've ever found that stops raccoons and squirrels. 18 inches. Cut the lip off. Won't rust. And it has been 100% effective so far in 6 months. I change out small perches to the left of feeder for songbirds and use painted backgrounds behind it on a stand during the year. Hole drilled in bottom plate of feeder to insert sticks.

http://m2.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/157567622.Ea1o4YBj.feeder2.jpg

Last pic is setup for hummers. The camera in pic is the finest birding machine ever produced. Mark IV....Ha! Sorry. Had to throw that in as I still luv the cam. Only have one birding lens. 400mm/5.6. I used plastic thin vinyl bathroom wall material from home depot as backbround. Water proof. Coarse on one side. Smooth on other. Paint em different colors on smooth side. Bout 18 inches square. Clamp to rebar. Only have two 580 flashes. Work great. Use ETTL and manual settings depending. Fired by ST-e2. Easy to operate. Will be moving up to 600 shortly. I pre focus on red bottle with copper yellow flower for hummer only shots. Then put flower stem into hole for natural look. Looky there! There are 3 hummers feeding while I'm walking around. Then I use a Chinese cheap radio controlled transmitter and remote to fire camera while observing hummer coming into feeder sittin on my buttox sipping tea. It ought to be against the law to take pics like this. But I'm a senior citizen. Anyway that's about it. Looking forward to others setups. Thanx for peepin. Hope it helps somebody.

http://m6.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/157567776.8TKqUyKX.setup.jpg

Sep 25, 2014 at 04:14 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Neat to see the hummer setup. Have you considered diffusers on the flashes, and moving them closer? Inverse square rule applies here. When you double the distance of your light source, you cut the light by 1/4. Same math applies when you move the light source closer. Makes up for adding the diffusers.

Edited on Sep 25, 2014 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2014 at 05:46 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

KC...diffusers as in eliminating harsh light? Or reflectors KC? Well you have a point and ya know. I've never tried it. And I have some. But if it's cloudy I don't think I'd get enough light to slow the wings down. Although it would make some beautiful natural light. Something to consider. Tanx.

Sep 25, 2014 at 07:02 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Thanx for sharing your setup John ~ Ron

Sep 25, 2014 at 07:04 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Thanks for sharing your setup John. I will take a pic of my setup tomorrow but it is nothing like this

Sep 25, 2014 at 08:29 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Fantastic looking setup !!

Birdie

Sep 25, 2014 at 09:14 PM
KClarke
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Great setup, jjoejr.

Today, I actually put up a stump with holes that I can stick selected perches through. Tomorrow morning, I'll add some ripe plantains to attract some Tanagers. It looks very ghetto, so not gonna bother posting pics

Sep 25, 2014 at 09:54 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Tag for setting up my station.

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:43 AM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Very nice set up John. Can you tell us which direction is east/west ? I am wondering why with such a nice looking background of the trees and water you use a plastic background. My thought would be since the natural background is at such a distance you would be able to shoot at F8 and higher for more detail

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:07 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

KClarke, the birds don't care if it's ghetto. Me neither. As long as it works and they are fed and have a place to rest. I want to see tanagers! Send pics.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:09 AM
KClarke
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

jjoejr wrote:
KClarke, the birds don't care if it's ghetto. Me neither. As long as it works and they are fed and have a place to rest. I want to see tanagers! Send pics.

Here's an unprocessed RAW to give you an idea of the setup. I have to experiment more with different perches and other types of bait to attract more species.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:12 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

John Your location is awesome!
Gobs of flowers in front of your camera probably will have you need less feeders.
You will so enjoy next summer them sipping flowers.
Your green trees should give beautiful backgrounds too!
TFS,
BeeBalm

Sep 28, 2014 at 04:11 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Michael Rucci: East is behind the setup. Over looking the pond. West is directly behind me. As for using the pond and woods for the background. I do. Have been using it for a few years. But it can be dark if I'm using flash to fill in the birds with cloudy skies. Sunny skies it works very well. I sent a photo with the pond background in green in previous post. Wanted something different and a little more color. Look here, second pic.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318420

John

Sep 28, 2014 at 07:27 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

KC...Geesh what a beautiful bird! Like the setup. Bananna's? Wut birds do they work on? Like the pvc. Just insert stick. Thanx for showing setup. Send more if you have something else.

Mizz B...I plan on making a planter length of bulkhead behind feeders and about 2 feet high. Just right heighth behind the birds. Tanx.

Sep 28, 2014 at 07:32 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Lovely garden, complete with a fishing pond, very nice set-up.

Phil

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:15 PM
KClarke
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

jjoejr wrote:
KC...Geesh what a beautiful bird! Like the setup. Bananna's? Wut birds do they work on? Like the pvc. Just insert stick. Thanx for showing setup. Send more if you have something else.

It's a plantain actually. Ripes ones are supposed to be easier to digest than bananas and they seem to prefer it.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:59 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Thank you for showing us the set-up. Do you have any wood duck houses set up on the pond?

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:45 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Hope it helps Mikedec...Don't have any wood duck houses yet. As I'm filled up with quite a few birds as it is. I have an osprey that stays here from November til February for last 4 years. I don't fish. So let the birds fish. And take pics. I have egrets, great blues, green herons, ibis, cormorants, yellow crown night herons and kingfishers. Here are a few pics of my osprey buddy that stays here every year. It's really a zoo here in the swamp and keeps me busy.
John

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/153730320.id7kD1bn.spray1.jpg

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/150645340.ASh2HVaF.phillips_john_osprey.jpg

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/150627740.gFLaXyQ4.osprey3.jpg

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Terrific post, John. Thanks for sharing all this great stuff.

Ed

Oct 06, 2014 at 01:35 PM
11rdgr88
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Show Ur Birding Yard Setup

Awesome set up, thanks for sharing.

Oct 06, 2014 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.