New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

I've often seen critiques that were simply just wrong for other people's work. You get what you pay for.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

Don't take 'like' too seriously. It could be anything. I agree your post, you said what I want to say, I give a 'like'. You are new to this forum, I give a welcome 'like'. You exceed yourself, show progress in your pic, I give a 'like'. and I also give like to break ice as well Mostly, I use it show encourage or feel the pictures deserves it.

There is no regulation how you use it.

As for likes and faves in Flickr or 500px, There are definitely some social media nature going on, but what you expect from Social media website?

Truly good photographers still get more votes for sure like Marc Adamus, Max rive and there are some people are actively join FM who are very popular in 500PX.

But one pit is at 500PX and flickr, I can easily see pretty picture with dramatic lighting, place and beautiful woman easily get promoted and popular, but lack some serious good works to striking me. Maybe the same here.

The possible reason could be those work are just rare or truly excellent work are not as popular as pretty woman or place or light.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

mawz wrote:
The interesting thing about Flickr is that while it certainly suffers from this, it also is quite good at getting the really good stuff into Explore as well.

500px is an interesting case, as generally good stuff gets voted up, but there's a massive bias in favour of very colourful/bombastic photo's and/or naked Russian women (wish I was kidding about the latter, there's a solid community of Russian photographers on 500px who do primarily nudes)

Explore has some decent stuff here and there, but as long as you take half decent photos and play the system it's not difficult to get your photo explored. I can't remember how many photos I got explored and it came in waves. Especially if you make the top 10 the attention gets ridiculous. The thing is people of all photography levels play this circle jerking game to a certain extent, even the many talented ones. On the otherhand getting all that attention sometimes just comes with the territory when you're a popular badass photographer.

At the same time nothing wrong with enjoying the community, liking photos you actually like, making constructive comments, participating in certain groups, etc... I met a few cool people from flickr and in certain subgroups/genres have some of the most talent photographers out there. Many of the current and high level street photographers out there participate on flickr.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

Even youtube disabled dislikes on comments (you can click it, but it never shows how many dislikes there were).

Am I the only one who uses likes on FM as a kind of bookmark for really informative posts? Of course it's a sign of appreciation, but it can also help to make it a bit easier to find some good posts again.

Sep 26, 2014 at 04:39 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

Well, I think the LIKE button is like a nod, or a smile and use it mostly when I would not comment. I'm not sure if there's any use in negatve critique unless the critic has some credability. A positive commenter is not trying to teach you anything, just showing appreciation.

Sep 26, 2014 at 05:16 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

hauxon wrote:
Well, I think the LIKE button is like a nod, or a smile and use it mostly when I would not comment. I'm not sure if there's any use in negatve critique unless the critic has some credability. A positive commenter is not trying to teach you anything, just showing appreciation.

The only thing I like about the like button is that it effectively replaces a number of "Great!" and "Thanks!" posts.

I am not sure there is any use in either positive or negative critique unless it is motivated.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:04 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

What I don't like about it here is the fact that you can see the amount of received likes underneath each username. It seems to encourage some people to just post everything they have on their HDD, just to gather more likes.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

You should use the mobile interface. The "likes" aren't shown.

Jochenb wrote:
What I don't like about it here is the fact that you can see the amount of received likes underneath each username. It seems to encourage some people to just post everything they have on their HDD, just to gather more likes.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:30 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

jcolwell wrote:
You should use the mobile interface. The "likes" aren't shown.

It's ofcourse not about that. That would only work if everyone uses the mobile interface. It's about some people apparently feeling the urge to gather as much likes as possible. A lot more random snapshots are shared because of that IMHO.

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:36 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

Well a forum won't suddenly turn into a photography school. In general I would not expect insightful reviews from people quickly browsing through hundreds of images but I appreciate a positive nod. On forums like FM you might occasionally get really helpful comments (good & bad) but I would not count on it.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:01 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

retrofocus wrote:
In my opinion it is simply a cultural thing. I am not surprised about the experience described in the linked blog. We had a similar discussion recently in one of my photo meetup groups. IMO constructive criticism is very differntly perceived in cultural settings. In Europe (where I am originally from) criticism is more down to the point, direct and clear which on the other hand already might come across as harsh or even offensive in North America. I found that most people here in the US are not willing to express any kind of criticism and always focus on
...Show more

When I was learning Thai, while living in Thailand, it took weeks to finally get my teacher (a professional, twice my age, so not a shy student)-- private lessons, 3-days a week for 3 hours/session-- to correct me. And once we go to that point, I had to keep reminding her that I wanted to be corrected in order to learn; sometimes I'd say/write something and then have to ask if it was right. Kinda important... if I needed to apologize to someone I didn't want to get the tone wrong and instead ask for permission to fart (yes, real example).

Now that I'm in Germany I get reminded that a damn-near perfect work evaluation goes something like this, "You didn't make any major mistakes." In America it would be, "Wow, great job, incredible work!"

That said, generalizations are generalizations, and the more people mix the more these country-culture generalizations start to fall apart.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:26 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

carstenw wrote:
Funny, I use them quite differently. Unless the shot is absolutely spectacular, I don't usually bother liking shots which others have already liked. On the other hand, if I like a shot which hasn't received any likes, I am more likely to be the first to give one. I also sometimes use likes (only on shots I like though!) to break the ice with people I have recently had an argument, not an isolated occasion

I am stingy with "likes"... I have to actually "like" the image a bunch. Jim

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:54 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

justruss wrote:
When I was learning Thai, while living in Thailand, ...

Now that I'm in Germany I get reminded that a damn-near perfect work evaluation goes something like this, "You didn't make any major mistakes." In America it would be, "Wow, great job, incredible work!"

Here's a talk by linguist Lynne Murphy on the differences between the US and UK:

The jargon is "solidarity politeness system". At the very end she mentions the phenomenon of Facebook "likes" as an example.

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:33 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

Jochenb wrote:
It's ofcourse not about that. That would only work if everyone uses the mobile interface. It's about some people apparently feeling the urge to gather as much likes as possible. A lot more random snapshots are shared because of that IMHO.

Yes, I agree! I have said before that the volume posters here profit from all the likes and seem to get more likes for an average or random snapshot than someone who posts infrequently but posted a good photo. There is definitely cliquish behavior going on here too where people like others pics if they like theirs and do it frequently. Also, there is a preference or large number of photographers who post pictures daily of there kids which seem to interest the other dads here.
Also, there is the random snapshot overly processed to make interesting type shots which get lots of likes here too. Its a gear forum and you can not expect much. I think the photography specific forums like landscape have better constructive feedback than the gear forums.
Some people here try to even bring up your likes to post ratio to indicate how good a photgrapher you are.

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yes, I agree! I have said before that the volume posters here profit from all the likes and seem to get more likes for an average or random snapshot than someone who posts infrequently but posted a good photo. There is definitely cliquish behavior going on here too where people like others pics if they like theirs and do it frequently. Also, there is a preference or large number of photographers who post pictures daily of there kids which seem to interest the other dads here.
Also, there is the random snapshot overly processed to make interesting type shots
...Show more

i agree this isn't a place for constructive criticism on photography, it's a gear forum. i was originally against having likes, but i think they have decreased the number of "great shot" type filler comments which is good.

of course a forum will have all kinds of cliques and normal social behavior just like any other place where people interact.

it's always somewhat amusing when people whine about the content of the pics posted as oppose to the high art that they strive to achieve as though they are arbiter of high art. people post the kind of images they are interested in, if you don't like those types of pictures, it's likely those photographers won't be that interested in the kind of photos you like to take. that's one of the reasons we have subject specific forums.

i do find it interesting that different threads within this (alt) forum seem to have very different cultures when comes to issuing likes and general discourse.

Sep 28, 2014 at 03:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Dynamics of Photography Forums and Sharing Sites

wayne seltzer wrote:
Some people here try to even bring up your likes to post ratio to indicate how good a photgrapher you are.

Well, that's quite simplistic. You could chat a lot, which would bring down your ratio... And then there are long-time posters like us. I probably had over 10.000 posts before the Like system was added, so my ratio will probably always be bad unless I stop chatting and improve 1000%.

Sep 28, 2014 at 03:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.