Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

I decided to make a quick run up to Grand Teton NP for the fall colors this weekend and hope I can get the answers to a few questions before I hit the road….

1. Any suggestions for sunset locations in the Park?
  2. Particularly good spots for including fall color in my images, besides Oxbow Bend?
  3. Is the hike to Taggert Lake worthwhile and is it advisable alone this time of year re: bears?
  4. Signal Mountain Overlook, never tried it, is it worthwhile at sunset?

Thanks,
Bob

Sep 25, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Alan Louie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

Honestly I can't remember it off of the top of my head but off of 191 there's a drive down to the Snake river (on its east side). It's heavily wooded down there and you get the Tetons, trees, and river all in one. There are many popular pictures of it

//found it - Schwabacher's Landing

Sep 26, 2014 at 06:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

Since you are asking.
I don't know anything about the area except I'm a big believer in carrying accessible bear spray in bear country these days. Especially if alone. That means, not in a pack, but right there, within a seconds notice, on a belt. Regardless of the unlikeliness of an encounter, although they are more and more common anymore (see todays news). You might carry it ten years, or it might be 10 minutes... But, this summer I encountered 9-10 separate bears in the La Sal Mountains, and every one was a total unplanned surprise... This is for their protection too, you get bit and they get shot.. You don't want that.

Edit... This is new! Now they are even seeing bears in Arches... It's a park alert! http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/bears.htm

Edited on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

uintaangler wrote:
  • Any suggestions for sunset locations in the Park?

I have always wondered that too. I have never been around to the west side of the Teton's and wondered that what was like?

• Sep 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    Alan Louie
    • •
    p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

Couple more things
    - I would carry bearspray although less for Grand Tetons main trails. They're heavily traveled up to the lakes and shouldn't be a problem. Taggert lake isn't far at all if you're in decent shape, just keep hydrated as most of it is exposed to the sun.

- Signal mountain - I tried it for a sunset but the clouds didn't work out for me. (darn picky sunsets) But IMO it could be very neat. Note - you need bug spray up there, the mosquito's ate me alive up there. Any part of skin I had exposed was being sucked on.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    colinr
    • •
    p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Teton NP this weekend, a few questions?

Many people recommend attaching a small bell to the outside of your backpack - its soft tinkle, as you walk, is said to be sufficient to alert bears who generally avoid human encounters

Nov 09, 2014 at 08:24 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.