Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Recreation (The Making of a Mandala)

musingclouds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recreation (The Making of a Mandala)

I come back to this photo a lot.

Perhaps it reminds me of a time where I just happened to wander into an exhibit right in the middle of a Mandala creation. Or perhaps part of me just misses the magical feeling when I see two monks, one faceless, waiting on his turn, and the other, patiently creating a masterpiece.

Perhaps, I'm just sleepless again. I don't know.

Something about this one gets me every time. The best photo I have taken so far.

HI-DEF: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/theleestudio/15348902662/

Recreation

Sep 25, 2014 at 04:40 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recreation (The Making of a Mandala)

I like the image. Interesting subjects. Nice composition.

Where I think it could have been stronger is with the focus point. Everything in the image points to what the monk in the background is doing with his hands but that is not in focus. Shifting the focus point there or using a larger DOF might have been better.

I also question your post-processing a bit. I know the pulled blacks and highlights effect is popular right now but you have given up almost 1/3 of the potential tonal values in this image to get that effect. Given the tones obviously present in the original, it seems like a pretty big sacrifice.

Sep 25, 2014 at 09:44 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recreation (The Making of a Mandala)

Hm, I see your point Eyeball. I wanted to really highlight the hands on the left side, but I'll post a color version that I was also mulling.

And you do have a good point about the monk in general. I will post some more shots from this particular exhibit later tonight.

EDIT:

Enclosed is a color version

Sep 25, 2014 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.