New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Editing

Nickyb21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Editing

Does anyone pay someone else to edit their photo's for them? I suck at editing and am self taught, what looks good on my screen may look like crap on another. I tend to over-edit, over saturate, etc etc.

Thoughts?
If yes, who and how much? You can PM me this if you want to be discrete.

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Editing

Strictly speaking editing is image selection and sequencing - say into order for a photo essay.

Post-processing is the term used to describe digitally processing an image using software.

Calibrate your screen regularly. Look at images you admire and try and replicate it. Experiment but be conservative at first. Try to define a look you like - a signature look if possible.

Sep 24, 2014 at 09:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Editing

A legit question. Why are you editing then?

Editing is not a requirement of enjoying photography. It can be a detriment.
You can enhance photos; sure, but you can also really mess them up.

Why not set the camera settings to your most commonly used (like camera standard, or landscape) and just enjoy shooting jpegs? There's a well respected photographer on the Nikon board who shoots strictly jpegs, and makes a career doing it. He relies on his finely tuned in-camera settings.

Or, shoot raw & jpeg. Save the raw for future use, if ever.

Trying to get consistency among displays and browsers is difficult at best. I have three computers I use, every one shows a picture differently. And yes, they are all calibrated. Doesn't matter.

I'd suggest, be conscious of using the camera controls properly. White balance is important, don't rely on "auto" (can give you a yellow tint at times), use daylight in daylight, use cloudy on cloudy/overcast days, and use incandescent and fluorescent as needed. Decide if you want "Landscape" "Portrait" "Vivid" "camera Standard" etc. Between these combinations, your color can be adjusted as you see fit for the shoot. That gets you 90% there.

Sep 25, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Editing

"Repitition is the mother of learning" I was taught. It hasn't failed me yet. Yeah I get VERY frustrated at my mediocre Ps skill level but I don't give up. At 67 I still have much to learn. I look at the "You Tube" how to videos, subscribe to Lynda.com and NAPP. Many of the magazines have excellent tutorials on how to..

And No, I would never let someone else edit my images as a final product by me.
Keep on pushing...It will get better..
Dan

Sep 26, 2014 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.