Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon will release a D400...

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon will release a D400...

A fun little poll to stir things up given the 7D MkII release and the Nikon comments about evaluating the demand for a D300 replacement.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon will release a D400...

According to NR, they (Nikon) were still "studying the demand" for a D300s replacement.

and...

Nikon is also "studying" the possibility of a D3X successor (D4s body with a high MP sensor).

/shrug

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Kyyo24
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon will release a D400...

Never. They'll add a slightly better buffer and call it a d7200.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:56 AM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon will release a D400...

Not very encouraging.

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:20 AM
Timothy OConn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon will release a D400...

Kyyo24 wrote:
Never. They'll add a slightly better buffer and call it a d7200.

This.

Sep 24, 2014 at 03:11 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon will release a D400...

Maybe they believe APS-C is a better fit for the mirrorless market? I think a lot of people would like a mirrorless DF style body with an APS-C sensor priced no more than $1200.

Then they'll have the CX bodies take over for the current lower end DX bodies. FX will be reserved for the bigger bodies and lenses.....just my opinion on the direction of the market. For now I did vote "in 2014 - they were waiting for the 7D MkII release". (7D not D7 )

Sep 24, 2014 at 06:21 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon will release a D400...

I suspect Nikon makes a lot more money from the lower end bodies which probably also take less development money to bring to the market. What have we seen? Lots of consumer cameras, with a couple of pro/prosumer level bodies sorely overdue for an upgrade.

Now though, the time is probably right for an upgrade to both the D300 and the D3X. I would say look for those in the next two years.

Not that I ever get this right, but that's my prediction.

In my case, that works for me because even if a D400 had been out I wouldn't have had the money for the camera - I'm still shooting with the D300/D700 combo. I know some have to drop a couple grand on a new camera every two years or they feel behind the times, but my dated cameras still pleases me with the results. Life sure was easier with film cameras. The latest "sensor" typically cost me less that $10. Sometimes I miss those days, despite the obvious advantages of digital.

All that said, when I replace my stolen F5 and F100 bodies with the insurance settlement, I will most likely go with a couple of the newer bodies (D810/Df/D750/D7100.) I guess I can't call myself a purist!

David

David

Sep 24, 2014 at 06:22 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon will release a D400...

Nikon see DX as non-pro and wants to put people to upgrade to FX (better lens sales). No way is a DX camera with their best AF coming - just look how long it took for the D750.

Sep 24, 2014 at 06:52 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon will release a D400...

I think we'll see something in 2015, but as mentioned above, I kind of think it will be a D7200 with better specs - deep buffer, faster FPS, etc.

That said, more than likely it's up to our Canon shootin' friends. If they buy the 7DII in droves, Nikon might decide maybe a D400 isn't such a bad idea.

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:55 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon will release a D400...

I don't think nikon wants to release a pro DX, but the only reason they wouldn't right now imo is;

1. They expect to a lose a percentage of current nikon shooters to canon.
2. They expect to lose a percentage of newcomers interested in Pro DX to Canon.
3. The Sum loss of number 1 & 2 is less than the profit they will get by forcing people that want to continue to shoot nikon to purchase a D4s and/or one of their big telephotos.

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:01 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon will release a D400...

Hardcore wrote:
I don't think nikon wants to release a pro DX, but the only reason they wouldn't right now imo is;

1. They expect to a lose a percentage of current nikon shooters to canon.
2. They expect to lose a percentage of newcomers interested in Pro DX to Canon.
3. The Sum loss of number 1 & 2 is less than the profit they will get by forcing people that want to continue to shoot nikon to purchase a D4s and/or one of their big telephotos.

Number 2 is probably the most likely. If I were starting shooting sports now, I would go Canon for sure. There is no Nikon suitable for that below the D4s. In addition, the competition from mirrorless is increasing. I've shot some sports with the GH3, and the E-M1 and NX1 are probably even better suited. Then there's the Sony A77 II...

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:08 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon will release a D400...

Ask me 5 years ago, and I'd say you'd have to be crazy to think they wouldn't. Now, I'm not so sure. Nikon seems to have no real direction or game plan. I'm guessing there's huge internal issues at the company.

Edited on Sep 24, 2014 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:41 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon will release a D400...

BenV wrote:
All new 5 years ago, and I'd say you'd have to be crazy to think they wouldn't. Now, I'm not so sure. Nikon seems to have no real direction or game plan. I'm guessing there's huge internal issues at the company.

An internal issue at Nikon ... go figure

Actually, what seems to be a consistent trend with Nikon is that they always underestimate the importance of time to market with good solid follow-ups of pro-level products. Nikon is super innovative, coming up with new and interesting products on a regular basis ... but they often fail to follow up their successes because they are too busy doing something new and from scratch.

On the other hand, at the low-end consumer level, they cycle product like crazy with nothing that really is new. The company really needs a more balanced approach.

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:53 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon will release a D400...

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Number 2 is probably the most likely. If I were starting shooting sports now, I would go Canon for sure. There is no Nikon suitable for that below the D4s. In addition, the competition from mirrorless is increasing. I've shot some sports with the GH3, and the E-M1 and NX1 are probably even better suited. Then there's the Sony A77 II...

I think #1 is also an issue, there's a solid base of DX sports/wildlife shooters who have been hanging on to the D300/D300s waiting for an update. Really for those not replacing a body every 1-2 years the D300s was generally hitting the end of its lifetime a year or so ago, recent enough that hanging on and waiting for the D400/D9300 for a while. But the 7Dm2 is such a good answer to their needs that if Nikon doesn't show a response soon enough they'll be moving.

Remember, Nikon has yet to make a single body which can put as many pixels on a subject at 8fps as a D300(s). Not even a D4s can.

Sep 24, 2014 at 09:06 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon will release a D400...

One camera that is hardly ever mentioned when these things are discussed is the Df. But although the Df only shoots at 5.5 fps, it has a rather decent buffer which rooms 24 RAW frames or unlimited large/fine jpeg files. For those who can live with the larger format, this is still a decent alternative and maybe the closest we will ever come to a D700 replacement. It doesn't offer the reach of the D300, but with 16MP, it isn't too far off. realistically, a D400 would probably also have a 16MP sensor (if still available) to save costs on the processing side.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon will release a D400...

Isn't the feature set and build quality these people are looking for modeled after the D300? It seems (to me) that the Df is kind of dainty... (in addition to not being a DX camera). Not a full featured body at all, but a "gentleman's" camera. If you are going to go with the FX and force it to become a DX, then I'd pick the D810 hands down. After all, Tony Northrup states it's the best camera in the world if he could only have one.. He can't be wrong...

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon will release a D400...

If they didn't do fuller size semi-pro body for D750, it ain't gonna happen on a D300 "successor" either

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon will release a D400...

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
One camera that is hardly ever mentioned when these things are discussed is the Df. But although the Df only shoots at 5.5 fps, it has a rather decent buffer which rooms 24 RAW frames or unlimited large/fine jpeg files. For those who can live with the larger format, this is still a decent alternative and maybe the closest we will ever come to a D700 replacement. It doesn't offer the reach of the D300, but with 16MP, it isn't too far off. realistically, a D400 would probably also have a 16MP sensor (if still available) to save costs
...Show more

It's actually quite a bit off in pretty much all regards except overall pixel count. The Df lacks the reach, the speed, the AF, the Build, the UI, the battery life, the configuration flexibility, the ability to easily swap cards, the dual card slots (of the D300s).

The D750 offers about the same reach as a D300, much closer speed than a Df, a suitable buffer, improved AF, etc. Aside from the sensor it's a LOT closer to D300s or D700 replacement than a Df is.

The D400/D9300 would almost assuredly be 24MP. Nikon's pretty much standardized on that across the DX line, and a 16MP sensor would not offer sufficient differentiation from a D810 in DX mode.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon will release a D400...

elicious wrote:
If they didn't do fuller size semi-pro body for D750, it ain't gonna happen on a D300 "successor" either

It most likely will. The current D750 is the same place in the FX line as a D7100 is in the DX line (the D610 is equivalent to a D5300 spec in a D7000 body). The D300 successor will be the clear 'pro' body in the DX line and would need the D810 level build & UI to differentiate itself more from the lower end bodies. Nikon doesn't view the D750 as the D700 successor, that's the D810 for them. The D750 is filling out the line between the D810 and D610.

If Nikon does a direct D750 equivalent in DX, and I think they will, it will be the D7100 successor. In fact I expect the D7200 will be essentially a D750 body & processing chain with the D7100 sensor, OVF and sensor.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon will release a D400...

mawz wrote:
If Nikon does a direct D750 equivalent in DX, and I think they will, it will be the D7100 successor. In fact I expect the D7200 will be essentially a D750 body & processing chain with the D7100 sensor, OVF and sensor.

Isn't the reverse already true? that the D750 is the FX version of the D7100?

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.