Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

Jeff Scheetz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

I'm shooting what one might consider micro rather than macro. I have an MPE65mm yet have had good sucsess with reversed set ups as well. I've been using APS-C cameras for years and want to upgrade to full frame.

It is my beleif that full frames is the next thing I can do to improve my images. But! I foung a MKIII on eBay where a photographer was doing just the oposite. He was moving from full frame back to APS-C as he claimed he got better images because of the crop factor. That blew me away.

So my question is, I thought about mirrorless to get away from any shutter shake. anyone here have aany comments on what might be my next step rather than full frame? Thanks, your advice always appreciated, Jeff

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

I shoot with a 1D MKIII and will be going back to an APS-C camera (the 70D). I like to get frame filling head shots, but I don't like focus stacking (kinda tough to stack a moving subject) and having that physical crop means getting those tight compositions at lower magnifications (so more depth of field). Granted you could do the same with a full frame camera if you cropped your images down to APS-C size, but you'd be sending less than 10 MP to a printer so you might end up with images that only look good on the web.

Here's a couple of example shots taken with a 1D MKIII, MP-E 65mm, and the MT-24EX macro twin flash. All hand held, single frames taken at about F14 (I am the finger model). Should also mention that I do not crop my images in post.

Another reason for me to go with a lighter camera is that the weight of my rig is killing my wrists.

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:50 AM
Pixel Pooper

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

Using a normal 1:1 macro lens on APS-C I am still often wishing for more magnification, so on full frame I would need a higher magnification lens or I would just end up cropping more. Also, if you stop down the FF to get the same depth of field you lose most of the advantage of the bigger sensor. Basically, with the same lens the FF will give you a subject that is smaller in the frame, but apart from that you probably couldn't tell the images apart.

I think mirrorless or SLT cameras are very good for macro, I use a Sony NEX-6 and an A58. With the electronic first shutter there is no vibration, and live view in the viewfinder with magnification is great for manual focus. The biggest drawback of mirrorless cameras is slower auto focus, but we don't need that for macro anyway. I use manual focus, manual exposure and manual flash, so I can use a no frills camera like the A58 and save a lot of weight.

Sep 24, 2014 at 06:42 AM
Jeff Scheetz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

Dalantech wrote:
.... if you cropped your images down to APS-C size, but you'd be sending less than 10 MP to a printer so you might end up with images that only look good on the web.... the weight of my rig is killing my wrists.

Dalentech wow..wonderful, both the advice/info and your images. I a, a chronic pain sufferer and have many drawbacks capturing images as well. You brought up one point I am also considering, printing good sharp images. I intend to print and am published often and they demand higher resolution images.

Pixel Pooper wrote:
......With the electronic first shutter there is no vibration, and live view in the viewfinder with magnification is great for manual focus. The biggest drawback of mirrorless cameras is slower auto focus, but we don't need that for macro anyway......

Pixel Pooper thanks so much, you've answered another thing I was hoping to hear, No Vibration. Though I use mirror lock up when shooting I beleive i'm still getting shake, my type images you can see your heart beat in live veiw if on a wood floor or the stereo if it is to loud. I'll post some examples. That is one question I have never found an answer too, just how much vibration mirrorless has. I use live veiw and manual focus.

Since my subjects are stationary I think I'll conquer my stack shot at some time but right now am struggling.

Cannabis Resins on the flowers of the plant. I am displaying several mmagnifications in order to show just how macro I work with. Thanks Fred for the great forum and thank you again for all your comments and any addition help, setting Fstop etc. greatly appeciated, Jeff

edit: I considered a Panasonic G5...

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Jeff Scheetz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

Anyone else? I'm anxious to purchase, leaning toward an 5D Mkiii right now, be well, Jeff

Sep 26, 2014 at 09:16 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

If you intend to shoot in natural light you will need IS in the body to use your MPE. With (m4/3) body IS I now get IS will all the legacy lenses which never had it before.

Do you mean shutter shake or mirror shake? With film SLR, mounted on a tripod, I would use several seconds of anti-shock delay to overcome mirror shake with slow shutter speeds and walk away until after the exposure.

Harold

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:57 AM
peterski
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

I always reckon I shot my best macros with my 7D plus MP-E65 because like John above, I like those frame filling head shots:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4045/4261854042_22e98c1919_b.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4058/4380830891_7a905ed50c_b.jpg
But when I couldn't get all of those larger insects in the frame at 1x mag I added a 5DII and paired it with a 40D. The 40D usually had the MP-E and the 5DII had the 100mm. This is a square crop of a 5DII plus MP-E:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5168/5331593183_5af9c66dd8_b.jpg
I'm currently using a 24mm lens reversed on extension tubes with my 5DII and getting good results.
If you're after micro rather than macro the APS-C will probably be the way to go.
But a 5DIII plus say, a spare 7D or 40D would make a great combo!
cheers,
peter

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:59 AM
Jeff Scheetz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless-2/3rd-APSC-or fullframe for Macro

Harold thank you, mirror shake is what I thought I qas still experiancing even though I use mirror lock up, I'm tryng to eliminate any shake in these tiny shots.

Perter again nice imagery, i'm honored you've shared it here. I picled up a 5D Mkiii, I'm seeing what you're saying in my first evening with the E65. The crop factor of the full frame does not get me nearly as close as my 60D, but it's here. I'll try some more reversing and see what that produces on the sensor..respect..Jeff

Sep 30, 2014 at 07:36 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.