New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon EF 400mm DO

ccougar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF 400mm DO

Last week I rented a Canon EF 400mm F4L DO IS USM lens from borrowlens.com in San Carlos, CA. I am getting up in years and my EF 500mm F4L is getting a little heavy for hand holding in the field. My primary interest is birds and over a three day period I tested this lens with both a 1DX and a 7D body. The reviews of this lens are all over the place, some very good and some very bad. I wanted to see for myself what this lens would do. I found it to be an excellent lens in most respects with only a couple of drawbacks, one which is a deal breaker for what I would be using it for.

First of all, it is a very sharp lens. I don’t see what all the complaints are about in this respect. While it is not as sharp as my 500/4, it is slightly sharper than my Canon 100-400mm and on a par with my EF 70-300L. Forget about comparing it to a EF 300mm F2.8L since no lens can meet that test. It is true that the contrast is a little lower than other Canon L-Series lens, but it is easily corrected in post processing. This was not a problem.

The lens is a dream to carry in the field. It comes with a wide shoulder strap and with a 1-Series body attached, it is perfectly balanced when slung over one shoulder. It is much lighter than it looks. As expected, build quality is excellent and even the old-style IS worked well.

It focuses very quickly on both the 1DX and the 7D - as long as an extender is not used. This is where the deal-breaker comes in. With a 1.4x extender attached, the AF speed decreases to a point where the lens is practically unusable for acquiring birds in flight. I don’t know why there is such a dramatic decrease in focusing speed. My EF 500/4 doesn’t have this problem, but the DO certainly does. This would not be an issue if it was only used with the 7D. The 1.6 image factor of that body would give an equivalent focal length of 640mm which I find just about right for birds in flight. For the 1DX however, an extender is needed which kills the performance of this lens. Sharpness is OK, but it just won’t focus fast enough.

I liked this lens and hated to send it back. I just read that Canon is coming out with an updated version. With all the improvements promised in the press release, this may turn out to be a very popular lens. I look forward to trying one out.

Below are a couple of shots taken with the 400 DO that I rented.

EF 400mm f4L DO IS USM ISO 500 1/5000 @ f/5.6

EF 400mm f4L DO IS USM ISO 500 1/5000 @ f/6.3

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:21 PM
BrianP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF 400mm DO

Thanks for the mini review.

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:23 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF 400mm DO

ccougar wrote:
It focuses very quickly on both the 1DX and the 7D - as long as an extender is not used. This is where the deal-breaker comes in. With a 1.4x extender attached, the AF speed decreases to a point where the lens is practically unusable for acquiring birds in flight. I don’t know why there is such a dramatic decrease in focusing speed. My EF 500/4 doesn’t have this problem, but the DO certainly does. This would not be an issue if it was only used with the 7D. The 1.6 image factor of that body would give an equivalent
...Show more

The next time you try one, if you are using the 1.4x, make sure that you have the focus limiter switch on the lens set to the shorter range (8m to infinity). With a 1.4x and using the full range, focus speed can be quite sluggish. On the other hand, using the 400 DO with a 1.4x and having the focus range set to limit the focus distance to 8m to infinity makes the focusing speed comparable to that with the 500 f4 and 1.4x.

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:02 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF 400mm DO

I'm surprised. I've used the 400 DO almost exclusively with the 1.4x III extender. Admittedly, it slows significantly, but in my judgment not to the point it is unusable, even on moving targets. I find the AF slightly faster than my 300mm 2.8 II with a 2X III extender (effective 560mm f/5.6 vs. 600mm f/5.6).

Brian M.

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF 400mm DO

I never had a problem with the AF when using a 1.4x TC on a 7D, 1D4, or 1DX. If you did not have focus-limiter set properly as Les said, the focus-limiter or the lens could be faulty.

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.