New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

I've got a preorder in for the 7d2, but after truly thinking about it, I'm not sure that I really need it.

I do mostly waterfowl shooting and family portraits. Current lineup in the sig. My intent for a second body is (1) a backup and (2) a little extra "reach" when the 600/1.4x combo isn't quite enough on the 1Dx. I would also like to start doing some video work - just personal, nothing professional.

The 7d2 would be the latest and greatest and would definitely give me a well rounded kit. However, about the only thing that I would really like that it offers that the 70d doesn't is the dual slots. I'm not rough on my cameras at all and rarely do I shoot in weather challenging conditions so build quality isn't that high on my list. Having had a 70d previously, I was very pleased with the images coming out it. The touch screen is a nice feature for the short videos I do of my kids. The flip out portion is neither here nor there. I don't shoot large bursts, so 7 FPS vs. 10 FPS is also not a big deal to me, which also means buffer depth isn't a huge factor.

That leaves AF, something that is important from an accuracy standpoint. The 70d I had focused perfectly once MA'd to my long lens. Plenty snappy and capable of tracking. The next focusing system in the 7D2 is a draw given it's based off the system in my 1Dx, which is spectacular. I don't see speed of AF increasing much between the 2.

Anything I might have missed in my comparisons (other than the huge price difference)? Seems like I'd be just as happy with the 70d, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I had missed.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

I think there are a few other things going for the 7D2 that might be helpful for Waterfowl shooting.

7D2 has spot focus so you could lock in on a smaller area than the 70D. It has a couple other modes like single point with expansion that is nice for flight.

Also, with f8 focusing on the 7D2 for really distant targets you can get auto focus with 600 f4 and the 2x extender (1,920mm field of view). Since the 1Dx can do that if you can't on your second body there there is minimal "reach difference" on the 70D (1200mm vs 1320mm field of view)

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

Being able to AFMA at both the long and the short end of a zoom.

The new feature to allow you to get good results under sodium and mercury vapor lights.

New 150,000-pixel RGB+IR 252-zone metering system with a meter sensitive to the infra-red.

65 cross points.

Built in Intervalometer.

Built in magnetic compass.

USB 3.

And more....~~~~

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

The f8 AF is something I remembered but not a big deal. Kinda a can't do it with 600 and 1.4x on a crop, probably shouldn't be trying it. I never used spot focus much so again, not a loss. The expansion may or may not be a big deal. I've always been successful with single point and never really tried the expansion tracking.

One thing I did forget was -3EV on the center point. Gotta think about that benefit and if I'd use it.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

CF cards
Both for your 1DX and the 7D2

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:11 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

surf monkey wrote:
CF cards
Both for your 1DX and the 7D2

I've actually got some Sandisk SD cards, so no new cost there.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:13 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

bipock wrote:
I've actually got some Sandisk SD cards, so no new cost there.

I was just thinking that compatibility between the two cameras is a plus.
No need to carry around a bunch of SD cards.

The SD card slot is very slow on the 5D3, so unless things have been upgraded on the 7D2, it's only really useful for video or JPEGs.

But I can see how it wouldn't matter for some users.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:18 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

Do you NEED it? Probably not...do you WANT it, of course you do. To me, it sounds like the 70d is the more logical choice for you. Just get that and save your money.

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:33 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

If the 7D2 AF unit is the same as the 1Dx - which is exactly what we have all been led to believe by Canon - then that is going to be outstandingly better than the 70D in terms of AF. It also sounds like they sorted out the shadow noise problems on that sensor in preliminary findings by those who have them and a RAW decoder. Further, one is a consumer body and one is a near-pro body, are you going to miss faster response times in every way?

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:40 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

The 70d also misses the rear joystick. I didn't think that would bug me on the 70, but it drove me nuts.

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd Body - 70d vs. 7d2

I'd take the 7D2 over the 70D any day, just for better AF. Preferred the 7D to the 70D.

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.