New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

So my card is a 1066 Lexar 128gb, a pretty new one for me.

After I've been using this card, I've noticed that the 7d buffer count only goes up to 3. However, I can definitely get over 3 shots for BIF or whatnot. As I haven't seen any disadvantages from the supposed "3 image buffer" I haven't put much thought into it, but am curious as to why this is.

Has anyone seen/fixed this kind of thing?

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

what count do you get with another card or even without a card ?

also what settings do you have on the camera?

the buffer count is usually a guide thats governed less by the speed of the card (even if the card was dog slow you could still fill the buffer) but by settings in the camera .
if your set at a very high ISO or have a few other functions enabled (HTP?) or RAW+Jpeg you may have the camera thinking it cant cope with that many files as it wont really know how fast it can clear the buffer until it starts writing to the card .

edit:
thinking of the RAW+Jpeg thing . what firmware do you have on the 7D ? pre FW2.0 RAW+Jpeg was amax buffer of 6 with any settings

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:51 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

One other possibility is you may have in-camera High ISO Noise Reduction set to Strong. I think that kills the buffer too.

Mark

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:57 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

I've recently upped it to the most recent firmware, looks like 2.0.5 or 2.0.6.
Previous to this card I was seeing 10+, possibly 20+ as the buffer (can't recall exactly, but it was not single digit)
I know I don't do RAW+JPG on my 7d, but will check the NR settings, which I also doubt.
I figured it was an issue with the card having such a high capacity and fast speed

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

Would you have a smaller and/or slower card to compare with and validate your observations ?

kabraxcis wrote:
I figured it was an issue with the card having such a high capacity and fast speed

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:04 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

riokid wrote:
Would you have a smaller and/or slower card to compare with and validate your observations ?

Yes, I have a smaller and slower card, will post pictures for reference this week.

No idea why it's showing as buffer size and still letting me shoot off at least 10 shots.

I didn't really count the buffer size as I felt it was sufficient (definitely more than 3, probably more than 10)

I recall that with the smaller card it showed 23? as the buffer and it definitely felt like that, which was just because I tried to max out the buffer once. I haven't tried to max out the buffer on the larger and faster card yet

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:56 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

Sounds like you know what you're doing in regards to usage, so my guess is that the 7D doesn't recognize the card the way it should, but hopefully it doesn't reduce performance. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:12 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7d viewfinder/lcd showing extremely low buffer

Don't forget that the buffer size in the viewfinder will be less than what you can get in a burst, since the buffer is writing to the card (and clearing space) as you shoot.

But something is still not right if you can only get 10 shots in a burst. My 7D gives me over 20 RAWs before the fps slows using a 4-year old Transcend 400x card (UDMA6).

Mark

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.