Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ben Amato
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ferris State is the #14 ranked D2 team in the country. They play volleyball at the Ewigleben Sports Arena. Just from the name you guess this can't be much of a place… and your right. One thing about shooting for Ferris is they don't have much in the facilities category. This place is sodium vapor lighting and ISO of 5000 to 8000 depending on where your positioned. I shot with my 1DX and MK IV using an assortment of lensed. Primarily 70-200, 200 f2.0 and 135 f. 2.0. I didn't shoot too much defense so stayed away from the smaller lenses. Most shots are from the floor but a couple from the stands at mid court. No way of getting high on the end lines to shoot hitters. Let me know what you think.

The setter had 6 blocks in this match.

Sep 23, 2014 at 07:30 AM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Second Group:

Sep 23, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Thanks for looking. Please feel free to give me suggestions.

Sep 23, 2014 at 07:32 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D2 Women's Volleyball

good shots, great white balance with sodium vapor lights.

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:06 AM
ronald_t
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Nice set. Lots of concentration.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM
andypep
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Really nice set. Are you ever able to shoot from the perch in the corner (access is in the hallway)? I was there this summer and saw that and thought it would be a great shot to shoot a 300/400 from.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM
danmc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D2 Women's Volleyball

That's a stop more light than I usually get... Good shots/timing.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:18 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Andy: I had the same idea a couple of years ago so the SID put a ladder up for me. When the officials saw it they made them remove it. I was totally bummed. I am trying to gain access from above but that is a long shot. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Great work as always Ben. Was the lighting cycling luminosity that much, from 1/500 @ 2.8; ISO6400 to 1/1600 @ 2.8; ISO 6400. The former (the last picture) is obvious a bit lighter, but it doesn't seem like 1 and 2/3 stop difference between the two.

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:20 PM
Yucca
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ben you have done a great work with the game. Photos looks good and I am sure the players they love to get nice memories from the games.

Yes indoors the light is the problem. You have solve the problen with high ISO quite well. Other problem is from where to take these photos. One thing I have learned in basketball is that the photographer should be down to make players look like more tall. I am 6ft and 4inc and I have had instruction newer stand while take the photos :-). In volley ball you have one extra problem or challenge, the net. Are there any possibilities to go somehow to the net level or little above it and to the net line to take some of the photos?

One thing you are lucky with is that the walls of the gym are white and reflecting the light so in your pictures there are details of the faces also. One thing you have done very well is that in your photos I can see the faces of black and white girls side by side. For me that is the challenge to have good light for both of them to show their feces and looks.

After all you have done a great job!

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Very nice work, lots of different angles.

Chris

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:19 AM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Caleb: This court has hot spots all over it. I never shoot manual in here. In the center by the net lots of light. Sides and back third of the court big light falloff.

Yucca: Thanks for the kind words.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ben...I think you did a great job here. I just did my first last week and I had some of the same challenges as you mentioned. Your shots are nicely exposed and even balance throughout all of them. Nice variety of angles too.

VB has been a tough nut to crack for me and when I see shots like your and others....I revert back to the student mindset to pick up whatever I can for those who do it well. And you did it well....

I'll be back at it Saturday morning so we'll see....

Frank

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ben Amato wrote:
Caleb: This court has hot spots all over it. I never shoot manual in here. In the center by the net lots of light. Sides and back third of the court big light falloff.

Rough! What type of metering do you use for this?

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Frank Lauri wrote:
Ben...I think you did a great job here. I just did my first last week and I had some of the same challenges as you mentioned. Your shots are nicely exposed and even balance throughout all of them. Nice variety of angles too.

VB has been a tough nut to crack for me and when I see shots like your and others....I revert back to the student mindset to pick up whatever I can for those who do it well. And you did it well....

I'll be back at it Saturday morning so we'll see....

Frank

You still do nice work, but you shouldn't be leaving your gear all over. You never know when an FMer will snatch and grab it.

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:57 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Excellent set with lots of variety and emotion. Well done.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM
TENNDON

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Volleyball is an extremely fast sport and I believe you did a great job of capturing the players with very minimal shake. I recommend shooting at various settings to maximize the camera's capabilities. Just keep shooten.

Nov 15, 2014 at 01:19 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Ben,
Nice set of action shots especially with the lenses that you used. Thanks for sharing.
Btw, what case# do you use for shooting vb?

Nov 16, 2014 at 03:54 PM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D2 Women's Volleyball

Its all about White Balance when shooting indoor sports...great job!

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.