Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big bu...

Taemobig

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

My mentor just told me he's getting an 8 studio warehouse and we have to buy lighting, grip, computers for tethering and editing,and camera gears (both stills and video). Budget is not unlimited but we're also not gonna get cheap stuff.

For camera gear: (he said no medium format...yet)
We basically need a set of camera gear and lenses from Canon, Nikon, Sony. I know all about Canon, some about Nikon, I only know about Sony bodies nothing about the lenses. Panasonic GH4 and Blackmagic cameras as well, but these are the ones I know almost nothing other than GH4 can do 4k and blackmagic cameras can do raw.

Here's a list of what I have so far for camera gear:
Canon 1DX (no 5d3 since we already have 3 of those)
Canon 7D MkII
Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 MkII
Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MkII
Canon 16-35mm F/2.8 MkII
Canon 35mm F/1.4 MkII
Canon 50mm F/1.2
Canon 85mm F/1.2 MkII

Nikon D810
Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 G
Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 G VR II
Nikon 14-24 F/2.8 G
Sigma 35mm F/1.4 (Nikon)
Sigma 50mm F/1.4 (Nikon)
Nikon 85mm F/1.4G

Sony A7
Sony A7R
Sony A7S
Sony FE 24-70mm F/4 ZA OSS
Sony FE 70-200 F/4 G OSS
Sony FE 55mm F/1.8 ZA
Sony FE 35mm F/2.8 ZA
Metabones Canon EF Adaptor MkIV x3

I think I've covered most of the gear necessary for majority of studio/fashion work with Canon, Nikon and Sony. If you guys have any recommendations for lenses or a different body and why, please let me know.

As for Panasonic GH4, any lens recommendations and/or should I just get an adaptor for it? If you can provide a link to where to buy the product, that would be great. Same thing for Blackmagic, any rigs or accessories or specific SSD to get with it?

I also need recommendations for tripods, both video and stills. Crane & jib, sliders (maybe a powered one?). And stabilizers, Glidecam or Steadicam or another brand?

As for strobes, I don't know much about big brands. I normally use alienbees/einsteins. Probably gonna get the Acute2R 2400w/s with 3 D4 heads from B&H. Here's a link for it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832145-REG/Profoto_900796_2_Acute_2R_2400W_s_3.html

Going to add a ring flash head, and a variety of soft boxes, beauty dishes, umbrellas, hardbox, etc for it. Anyone can think of a list of modifiers to cover nearly any situation with a $10,000 budget just for the modifiers?

If anyone got another brand/power pack/head recommendation that isn't too expensive, please let me know.

And last one, we need ten 60 inch TVs, one for each studio, one for the lobby, and one for the breakroom.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:33 AM
Taemobig

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Btw, to anyone who helps me out with links to where to buy the gears and why....if you are anywhere near the L.A. area (the studio will be in LA) I will hook it up with free studio time with access to all the gears.

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

My recommendations at this level come at a price. My fee is US$1200 - that's 50% upfront. PayPal is my preferred method. I'll save you far more than my fee, believe me.

Sep 24, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Profotos are nice but expensive. The advantage is that just about every rental house carries light shapers compatible with Profoto speedrings.

For you Nikon lenses, consider the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. I tried both that one and the Nikon and didn't find much of a difference.

Where in LA are you based? I'm just north of Culver City.

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:30 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

What a fun and exhausting project, Tae.

You might want to share studio dimensions (including ceiling height, of course); the purpose of the TV's; and whether you expect all eight studios may be in use simultaneously - or if they have specific purposes (the reason I ask is eight is a lot for a start up).

Also, I may have missed it but I don't think you referenced continuous lighting?

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:49 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

The use of the studios would be the first thing I'd ask.
Is this a rental setup or something for some commercial shooters to share or just for the one guy doing product/ fashion etc.
Is there going to be a kitchen so food work or Cycs, vehicle access....?

Have to know the purpose before you can know what to put in there.

Sep 24, 2014 at 09:53 PM
Taemobig

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Arka wrote:
Profotos are nice but expensive. The advantage is that just about every rental house carries light shapers compatible with Profoto speedrings.

For you Nikon lenses, consider the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. I tried both that one and the Nikon and didn't find much of a difference.

Where in LA are you based? I'm just north of Culver City.

I see, swapped out the Nikon 85mm for the Sigma 85mm. Our current studio is at the Valley, specifically Canoga Park. The new studio will most likely be in Studio City, but its not 100% decided yet.

---------------------------------------------

nolaguy wrote:
What a fun and exhausting project, Tae.

You might want to share studio dimensions (including ceiling height, of course); the purpose of the TV's; and whether you expect all eight studios may be in use simultaneously - or if they have specific purposes (the reason I ask is eight is a lot for a start up).

Also, I may have missed it but I don't think you referenced continuous lighting?

Not sure about the dimensions but our current setup has 20 foot ceilings, I doubt my mentor would downgrade from that. And all 8 studios may be in use at the same time. As for the TVs, its there for clients to use however they need it, either to playback videos or watch movies, etc.

And yes, I also need recommendations for continuous lighting.

---------------------------------------------

glort wrote:
The use of the studios would be the first thing I'd ask.
Is this a rental setup or something for some commercial shooters to share or just for the one guy doing product/ fashion etc.
Is there going to be a kitchen so food work or Cycs, vehicle access....?

Have to know the purpose before you can know what to put in there.

Its both rental setup and for us to use for our commercial/editorial work.I'll have to ask if there's a kitchen...

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

The project seems to have some un-answered questions. Not many people are starting new studios these days, check out Thunder Studios, They are in the process of going thru a lot of "changes" and the studios have been around for years...they are doing all sorts things to try to stay viable.

Is this for the mentors own use or rental? Sounds like he has deep pockets, which is good.
Why 8 studios, are they all the same size? you could have large and smaller stages.
What will be shot there? Does the mentor have a steady client stream or deep pockets (see Thunder Studios)
How big are the studios? People sized, large product, room for sets to be built, cars or motorcycles, appliances?
Look into Movi and DJI Ronin
Kessler makes good moderate priced jibs and sliders
Why no Medium Format Digital?
Why the gear rental? It's all middle of the road vanilla stuff, gear that most people have. Rent stuff that most people don't have.
Sound Stage? At least one stage should be equipped for sound.
And a couple should have a cyc, and a large green screen.
Concentrate on equipping the place with very good long lasting lighting gear Profoto, High end modifiers, maybe some old powerful Speedos, Kino Flo, Arri LED and Tungsten. And enough to supply multiple stages with multiple clients. Have a deal with Castex or another LA rental house to sub rent things you dont' have.

60-70 C-stands, 100 Apple boxes of various sizes, 100 sandbags (theses a great place in the Valley that makes Apples and sandbags), Full sets of cutters and flags and scrims. etc.
Have a digital tech available for hire..

Maybe be on the look out for a studio or rental place that's closing...buy em out.

Buy your TVs at Costco.

Sep 25, 2014 at 01:43 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Instead of buying why not rent the heavy gear that will only see occasional use? The DSLR stuff is a must purchased as is a set of in house lights with radio triggers my bet would be the elichrome line. With a small assortment of modifiers that you would use then work up a retainer contract with a rental firm for the rest why pay for something expensive that may get use once in a blue moon?

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Any macro lenses? 105mm and 180mm macro lenses are ideal for product work and fashion detail. Also, 45mm or 90mm tilt/shift and PC-E lenses are great for products. I'd also consider grabbing a copy of the Zeiss 135mm f/2, since it's widely regarded as the sharpest lens in production, and will use all of the D810's megapixels - for fashion 135mm f/2 is a great length and aperture as well.

Sep 26, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I've been tasked to outfit an 8 studio warehouse with gear with a big budget, help me shop :)

Well, be sure to tell us how your mentor spent his money....or not.

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.