New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

It is often suggested that on bodies with no AF-ON button, assign the AF-ON function to the AE-L/AF-L button.

I have tried that several times in stores, but find that the AE-L/AF-L was too close to the viewfinder. My face (and the edge of my eyeglasses) covered up the AE-L/AF-L button. I had to squeeze my thumb in between my face/eyeglasses in order to get to the AE-L/AF-L button. (I am a right eye shooter.)

Do others notice the same problem? Get use to it?

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:18 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

It depends on the body in question. I didn't find an issue with the D7100, nor on the F80, but it's definitely tight on the D3200.

I do this as a matter of course, but I tend to rely more on AF-On than AE-Lock.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:22 AM
jtra
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I have not used AF-ON via AE-L/AF-L on D90 where it was too recessed.

On D610, it is ok, I use it 80% of time. I have glasses so I already have some distance between camera and head.
But I still dislike the position. I would like it closer to dial on left. As it is, it works for me when I hold camera with both hands, but when I hold camera with right hand only, my hand position moves to hold all the weight comfortably and then I cannot reach the button while having secure grip.
I have seen some people recommend to set Pv or Fn button for AF-ON as well for this case. This makes it harder to turn AF-ON off though.

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I did it on the D7000 when I had it - to me, it really wasn't that big of a deal. Maybe not ideal, but truthfully, it didn't even occur to me to be irritated by it at the time

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:32 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

jtra wrote:
I
I have seen some people recommend to set Pv or Fn button for AF-ON as well for this case. This makes it harder to turn AF-ON off though.

I'd be more likely to use those buttons for AE-Lock, which works alright located there.

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:53 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I've always assigned AE-L/AF-L to AF-On on the D60, and now the D600. Never thought twice about it and mentally it was just an AF-On button that happened to be labelled something else.

I am a left-eye shooter, and ironically maybe that explains why. I'm probably just used to the joint of my right thumb poking into either my right eye or right eyeglass lens all the time regardless of which camera body.

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:11 AM
newusaa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I use it on the d90 and like it. It could be a tad closer to the command dial, but I am used to it. I def would not complain if it moved a little though. As somebody noted, I guess the d90 is quite recessed, so I've not had ops problem. I shoot with glasses too. I agree with sang in that I just see it as an af on button.

Edited on Sep 23, 2014 at 09:39 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:35 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

Steve Perry wrote:
... it didn't even occur to me to be irritated by it at the time

Yeah, what he said!
Except I use the D7100.
Doesn't bother me, as easy to use as the D800E.
It's all psychosomatic. An internet social interaction disease....

Sep 23, 2014 at 09:37 AM
andre03
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

No problems with my D90, D7000 and D600.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

ckcarr wrote:
It's all psychosomatic. An internet social interaction disease....

Thanks for the diagnosis. I knew there must be a doctor here somewhere. No charge, right?

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I did it on the D600... no issues.
I believe you can assign either the Pv or Fn buttons to act as AF-On (if that will make it easier)
In addition, my 200 f/2 has an AF-On button so I just use that instead of the one on the camera.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:10 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

no problemos with a d90.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:12 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

I think your experience and perception is the majority view, that's why not having a dedicated AF On button can be seen as a deal breaker. It's that important. Each body is different, but far from ideal to have to assign the AE-L for AF On. Sometimes it's downright uncomfortable.

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:43 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

lara_ckl wrote:
It is often suggested that on bodies with no AF-ON button, assign the AF-ON function to the AE-L/AF-L button.

I have tried that several times in stores, but find that the AE-L/AF-L was too close to the viewfinder. My face (and the edge of my eyeglasses) covered up the AE-L/AF-L button. I had to squeeze my thumb in between my face/eyeglasses in order to get to the AE-L/AF-L button. (I am a right eye shooter.)

Do others notice the same problem? Get use to it?

It's not an issue if you actually use it consistently enough because your thumb will already be there long before your eye and glasses get near the camera.

- Alan

Sep 24, 2014 at 08:24 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

This really seems to be a "hindsight" issue. As far as I can tell, the only DX camera bodies that ever had this were the "pro" bodies, the D200, D300 and the D300s. And, the same is true with the FX bodies, only the D700, D800, D2, D3, D4 types. (I may have missed a couple, but you get the idea).

So, because it became an internet topic, all the sudden everyone thinks "yeah, I should have had that..." Except it's never been a feature on the entry level or prosumer bodies.

It's the same as a lot of things with Nikon, if you want all the "pro" features, you buy the pro body.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Assigning AF-ON to AE-L/AF-L

Works fine on the D7000. The main problem is that if people get a close look at my camera, they see I don't have a dedicated button. Since that makes me feel mortified I make sure they can't get up close.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.