New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

jhg photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

With all memory cards I have my 5D III only shows a raw buffer of 13 shots.
UDMA7 CF cards are supposed to achieve 18 shots in one series.

1. Are there other limitations when selecting cards, e.g. minimum 150 MB/s?
2. Which type and specification of SDHC card is needed to get the 18 shots?

Thanks

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:02 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

What ISO is the camera set at? The lower the ISO the less noise and the smaller the file size. Higher ISO, more noise and noise can't be compressed as much.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:45 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

The actual number of frames will be more than indicated as files will be written to card before the buffer fills. Use a 1000x or faster write speed card. The Lexar 1066x cards are nice and fast.

EBH

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:56 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

jhg photo wrote:

Thanks

are you just looking at the indicated buffer in the VF? or are you talking about actually shooting and getting no more than 18?

I had a thread a little while ago asking what was the best card on a budget for my 5D3
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1312260/0

I ended up getting a transcend 32gb 1000x which gives me a huge ACTUAL buffer but still only indicates 18 shots in the VF . im not sure the 5D3 will indicate past 18 in the VF (I may be wrong) but i know it will indicate less than 18 . usually for higher ISO's . but with my 1000x card in there i get more than the buffer indicates .
the VF info is only a guide .

Sep 23, 2014 at 07:09 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Thank you all.

Jeff Donald: I think it does not depend on the actual ISO. Also, I do not use high ISO noise reduction as this only affects JPGs.

EB-1: 1000x and above speed seems a good advice.

IanDobinson: If it indicates 18 shots your card appears to be right. As far as I understand it either indicates a max. of 13 or 18 depending on what card you are putting in.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

ISO matters on my 1Ds MkII, ID MkIIn and 1D MkIV and 7D. When I change the ISO on the cameras, the buffer size changes. This is with UDMA 7 cards. If you look at the Canon specs, you'll see they specify the ISO and temperature.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

jhg photo wrote:
Thank you all.

Jeff Donald: I think it does not depend on the actual ISO. Also, I do not use high ISO noise reduction as this only affects JPGs.
if you mean the buffer doesnt depend on ISO then thats wrong , it very much depends on ISO . the higher the ISO the larger the file size (for any given scene) the smaller the buffer .

EB-1: 1000x and above speed seems a good advice.
having looked at the various options of fast cards available i came to the conclusion that 1000x was the best option . if not the 1000x then there was little or no benefit going more than 400x as the write speeds seemed to be the same . the 1000x class cards were where the write speed jumped up (and even then the larger GB cards were the ones that gave that performance )

IanDobinson: If it indicates 18 shots your card appears to be right. As far as I understand it either indicates a max. of 13 or 18 depending on what card you are putting in.

come to think about it you may be right there . I dont remember seeing anything other 18 or 13 the last time I was shooting 13 if i was at higher ISO's and 18 if I was at lower ISO's . like I said before that had no bearng on the ACTUAL number of frames the buffer could hold .

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:52 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

jhg photo wrote:

Thanks

A fast UDMA7 1000x plus card should let you hold the shutter down for 3 straight seconds and around 30 shots or so before slowing down at all. The more detail in an image, the less you get. Maybe like 24 with tons of detail and high ISO or like 36 for an ISO100 black frame, etc.

Whatever the case, you should get way more than 18 in reality. I don't know what the buffer read out shows. I'm not sure how reliable it is.

If you shoot RAW+JPG it goes way down. Shooting RAW alone gives a lot more. And shooting JPG alone gives you like a 1000 in a row or something.

If you write to CF and SD it goes WAYYYY down. Or if you write to SD instead of CD.

Edited on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:54 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

1066x card allows me to get more than 20+ RAW files at 6 fps. I don't know the exact number over 20, but it is definitely over 20. The buffer also clears significantly faster than my old 400x card. I know this because I shot with it in my 5D3 at the X-Games and pushed the camera against the buffer limit a few times.

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Just tried it at manual 1/1250, iso 1250 dim scene on my screen with bright spots underexposed.

My 5diii, lexar 1000 64gb takes about 24 before slowing down slightly and then it takes about 4s for the buffer to clear when I stop. If I keep it pressed after 24, it slows down to about 2/s, after a quick pause and then back up and slowing again until about 55 and then slows down even further, but carries on forever at a little under 2/s, with brief stutters and accelerations. Beyond 24, I am guessing at the speed. 117raw pics in 30s before I stopped.

My experience from experimenting was that the number in burst did not vary greatly between a fast cf card and the fastest cf card but the burst clearing was about 1/3 of the time of the lessor card, which is critical with wildlife. But 13 sounds low.

[When I tried same with my sd card it did 14 before choking and stopping and then took 15s to clear. 400xdsxc 10 lexar. It actually stops shooting rather than slowing at 14.]

[Just re-read your post and realized you were talking about the buffer as indicated in the viewfinder capacity. Mine says 13 on 5d3 and 22 on 7d. Its 13 on 5diii regardless of sd or cf card. But experience is way higher, so it is clearing the buffer as it fills the buffer, and the 13 must be how many it would take without a card just to the buffer.]

My advice is buy a lexar 1000 64gb. Why have a $2500 camera with 6fps and the ability to burst 24, and limit it to 18 or so with 10s to clear when you can get 24/5s clear. And if you are shooting 6fps, why not a big card. I have not lost any data yet with this strategy.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

A couple important facts about maximizing the number of RAW files in continuous shooting.

1. TAKE THE SD CARD OUT. Placing any SD card in the camera will limit the write speed to 133X for both cards. SD Card slows down 5Dmk3

2. Using a UDMA compact flash card will increase the maximum RAW burst to 18, BUT the camera will still show a max burst of 13. ( from the camera manual )

3. Shooting at a higher ISO will decrease the maximum burst. When the ISO is set above 1600, the max burst listed in the camera shows 12 instead of 13.
This makes sense as the higher the ISO gets the larger the file becomes ( all other things being equal ).

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Thank you all again for clarification.

Yaryman: The source you linked is very interesting. Obviously, one should get a fast CF card if write speed is important.

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Yaryman wrote:
A couple important facts about maximizing the number of RAW files in continuous shooting.

1. TAKE THE SD CARD OUT. Placing any SD card in the camera will limit the write speed to 133X for both cards. SD Card slows down 5Dmk3

im sorry but this is totally false !!! . this has been said many times before (on here and other places) and has be disproved . Ive tried it with and without the SD card in and there is NO DIFFERENCE in buffer depth or speed it takes to clear

2. Using a UDMA compact flash card will increase the maximum RAW burst to 18, BUT the camera will still show a max burst of 13. ( from the camera manual )
mine shows 18 at low ISO's and 13 at high ISO's

3. Shooting at a higher ISO will decrease the maximum burst. When the ISO is set above 1600, the max burst listed in the camera shows 12 instead of 13.
This makes sense as the higher the ISO gets the larger the file becomes ( all other things being equal ).

again mine shows 13 at at high ISO's . I cant remember EVER seeing 12 in the VF (before id shot a frame of course )

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Indeed. I thought every man and his dog knew that was horse crap. I keep an SD card in all the time - shooting RAW to CF with the 5D3 set to Auto Switch Card. Please stop spreading the falsehood that an unutilized SD card slows writing to CF - it reveals gross ignorance.

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:32 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Paul Mo wrote:
Indeed. I thought every man and his dog knew that was horse crap. I keep an SD card in all the time - shooting RAW to CF with the 5D3 set to Auto Switch Card. Please stop spreading the falsehood that an unutilized SD card slows writing to CF - it reveals gross ignorance.

I dont have a dog but even the dog i dont have knows its Horse Cr@p . next doors cat mentioned it in passing also

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:00 AM
Craig Zendel

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
mine shows 18 at low ISO's and 13 at high ISO's

Ian,

What card?

FW version?

Regards,

CraigZ

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Craig Zendel wrote:
Ian,

What card?

FW version?

Regards,

CraigZ

Card. i currently use is the Transcend 1000x . but im pretty sure its the same with any (or no) card . the only difference is the buffer goes longer (than 18) and clears faster with the 1000x .

I'll try and have a look latter .

Firmware . Im not sure but I think its the latest one . again I'll have a look later .

Sep 24, 2014 at 04:18 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

I've gotten 30 shots @ 6 FPS with a "KomputerBay" 1000x CF card at ISO 100. Several times. Can prove it with EXIF information and a zip file with 30 shots.

Sep 24, 2014 at 05:02 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

Actually I made a video of it here-

32 shots in 5.4 seconds.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Here's the first and last shot and the EXIF time(s):

File Name : 5E1A9063.jpg
Lens : EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Lens ID : Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Date/Time Original : 2013:06:28 18:27:07

File Name : 5E1A9094.jpg
Lens : EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Lens ID : Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Date/Time Original : 2013:06:28 18:27:13

Feel free to freeze the video and step through frame by frame - should be 32 shots total. Pretty proud of the "keeper" rate as well for a FF camera wide open too!

Edited on Sep 24, 2014 at 05:28 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2014 at 05:08 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D III cards for RAW buffer 18 shots

^^^^

yeah 30 plus shots with a 1000x class card is the expected amount .

I linked to a previous thread above but here is what I wrote after testing my new Transcend 1000x

"my old 400x 32gi gets about 18 files and the red light goes out at 10 seconds
the new 1000x gets 38 files and the red light goes out in 9 secs

i also did Lars 30 second test and you really notice how much zippier the 1000x feels .
in 30secs I got 79 files (400x) v 139 files (1000x) "

and even more telling than that was shooting in 6-8 shot bursts i never got to the end of the buffer with the 1000x but would get a slow down after a few bursts with my older 400x and even worse when I was using my SD cards

Sep 24, 2014 at 05:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.