New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · African Penguins 1

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · African Penguins 1

Also known as jackass penguins for their donkey-like braying!

Super cute and goofy little guys.

All critique and comments welcome. Don't be afraid to rework or ask for any originals (which I can get to after work).

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · African Penguins 1

Jeff,
I like the others more.
1. Interesting but ultimately confusing pose for me. The man-made object detracts. I think you are missing some detail in the whites.
2. My own preference would be to process for a bit more tonal separation between the whites of the bellies and the bright sand. However, I suspect that this is part of the statement you are trying to make. I would crop a bit off the bottom.
3. Feels a bit disjointed, with little interaction between the three. For me the deep contrast does not work. As shown, I would tighten it up, taking more from the right and a tad from the left.

Scott

Sep 22, 2014 at 07:54 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · African Penguins 1

Thanks for the comments, Scott! I pretty much agree with most of what you said.

1. The penguins seemed to a mixed back in terms of which housing they preferred. Some used the man-made ones, whereas others went old school with holes in the ground. I was looking to give off a 'mom getting their kid ready to go out' kinda vibe. I'm definitely noticing the lack of detail in whites on the mom's head.

2. 100% right - too much of the same bright white next to each other providing little separation from the scene. I'll revisit this with some dodging and try to give it a little more pop - I really think that little change will actually do a lot overall.

3. Roger that - the more I see this one the more I think it's a tosser.

Again, thanks for the insight!

Jeff

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:05 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.