Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Will there be much difference between these 2 ND filters?

James82
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will there be much difference between these 2 ND filters?

I have the B+W 77mm 0.6 ND MRC 102M Filter, it works very well for certain settings, I want to be able to take longer exposure photos with more light, would the B+W 77mm 3.0 ND 110 Filter make a bigger difference? I'm assuming I could stack the two as well?

Sep 21, 2014 at 08:14 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will there be much difference between these 2 ND filters?

It will make a very large difference - 8 stops, to be precise. It's the difference between 1 second exposure and 1/250 second exposure.

Sep 21, 2014 at 08:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will there be much difference between these 2 ND filters?

What are you using it for? Mostly I use 3-stop and 6-stop filters. A 2-stop filter is not very much. Stacking ND filters is not the best idea as any small color shifts (more prevalent at the higher densities) may add in an unpleasant way. There is also a good chance of mechanical vignetting.

EBH

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will there be much difference between these 2 ND filters?

I use polarizers which offer about 2.5 stops of darkening and polarize. They are so much more useful than a .6 ND. (I do however own a .6 ND for studio use.) I own a 1.8 (6-stop), but I seldom use it. If you are shooting water, get a polarizer to stack on your .6.

I personally think the 3.0 ND is way overkill unless you are trying to blur the passing clouds. You can compose and focus through the 0.6 ND. You won’t be able to compose and focus through the 3.0 ND.

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.