New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tamron 150-600

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 150-600

in original I wanted to write about the new Tamron 28-300 FF lens, but after I got the chance to play with Tamrons long time back ordered SP 150-600 F: 5.0 -6.3 VC etc. for about half an hour, I decided to talk abou this lens here first.

I will not give you any XXO mark data nor any comparison to other existing lenses. Because I am not interested in, neither I can/want. My point is just I never bevor used a lens over 400mm. Now I did.

First impression holdig it in my hands: good and worthy feeling
putting it on my 6d: fast and reliable AF
personally: heavy

First impression: I have to learn to handle this lens. Even the VC looks very good, it is really different to hold and shoot a lens at the 600mm range than shooting my 24-70 or 70-300 or any other lens.

Second: This baby (or those 600mm ones) is (are) ... HEAVY So I was happy to give it back after my half an hour test. On the other hand I would have prefered, never to return it.

My thanx to Tamron here, that they gave out ALL new lenses to ALL interested visitors of Photokina exhibition in cologne.

Bevor I start to tell you my opinion, here three pictures (at 600 afIr):

http://ralphconway.com/Tamron/150-600/IMG_01.JPG
http://ralphconway.com/Tamron/150-600/IMG_02.JPG
http://ralphconway.com/Tamron/150-600/IMG_03.JPG

All pics are ooc JPEGS resized to fit the forum and not manipulated in any other way (usually I sharpen my rezised pics by using mask unsharped (?) at about 40 - 50).

Here is my opinion: This lens is an excellent offer. Its price (of two Canon 600mm 4.0 L lenshoods) is a bargain. The only mistake with this lens is, that Tamrons forecast was not expecting this hype and many customers who preordered the lens in Mai are stil waiting for it. Here in germany some companies who have it available (or even not) offer it 40% OVER Tamrons MSPR.

Sep 21, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 150-600

Compared to any other 600mm lens, this one is LIGHT.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 150-600

Imagemaster wrote:
Compared to any other 600mm lens, this one is LIGHT.

Yes. But my shooting style since I started about 38 Years ago was always handheld. After one hour I did not feel very comfortable to walk around with this lens. Guess I have to learn to handle it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 150-600

Not only is it lighter than other 600 primes, it is a lot lighter than carrying two or three lenses to cover those other focal lengths.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 150-600

Sharing pictures of attractive women isn't a bad way to re-announce your presence on these forums

As for the lens, well, I'm waiting to see what Sigma has to offer. Their Sports rendition might just have all the right things in all the right places, when paired with a 7D II or Nikon's (hopefully!) counter.

Sep 22, 2014 at 01:11 AM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 150-600

Ralph Conway wrote:
Its price (of two Canon 600mm 4.0 L lenshoods) is a bargain.

This has already (as of 12:42 local time) made my day. Thank you so much!

Sep 22, 2014 at 03:43 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 150-600

Imagemaster wrote:
Not only is it lighter than other 600 primes, it is a lot lighter than carrying two or three lenses to cover those other focal lengths.

Yes, Imagemaster. But who needs two or tree 600mm primes?

Sep 22, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 150-600

johnctharp wrote:
Sharing pictures of attractive women isn't a bad way to re-announce your presence on these forums

As for the lens, well, I'm waiting to see what Sigma has to offer. Their Sports rendition might just have all the right things in all the right places, when paired with a 7D II or Nikon's (hopefully!) counter.

I would have prefered to do and show some pictures with more social "content". Not easy to find at an exhibition like Photokina. So I took what was just standing around and not moving to fast. Hell, it is difficult to keep or even get (frontal) moving subjects in focus at this focal lenght.

Sep 22, 2014 at 04:21 AM
jaybrams
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 150-600

Mine just arrived Monday after waiting since last June on B&H's list Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Will replace my Canon 400/5.6, which I am reluctant to part with. But the extra reach was irresistible.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 150-600

Here is a sequence I did last week.

I had been shooting Canon with the Version 1 500/4 IS and it was getting pretty heavy for my aging hands. Tammy on a gripped 810 however seems a likeable combo to me.

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.