New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Subway Man

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Subway Man

Sunday morning on my way to Adorama to pick up some inkjet cartridges, camera in hand, caught this. Any PP suggestions appreciated.

© eeneryma 2014

Subway Man

Sep 21, 2014 at 01:52 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Subway Man

Took a moment to get oriented - really very busy.

BW is an alternative but in all I think another POV would be helpful to isolate the subject. Only thing going for color is helping isolate association with the title..

Bob

Sep 21, 2014 at 06:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Subway Man

I am with Bob.
While the subject has a lot of potential interest, the angle does not help. Would love to see his face more, and perhaps the content of the board. BW seems right as a street image, but processing is not the issue here.

Scot

Sep 21, 2014 at 06:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Subway Man

My first thoughts when see the original was to get rid of the left and right partial pedestrians. I like Bobs crop.

Sep 21, 2014 at 07:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Subway Man

Too bad he wasn't in vicinity of subway too.

Sep 21, 2014 at 07:46 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Subway Man

I appreciate all your comments on POV. Maybe my approach became more of an intellectual exercise rather than something that worked photographically. In my "minds eye" the cars and pedestrians are just passing this "human signpost" by, no one acknowledging him or giving him a second look. One just sees a thin slice of his face, most of his identity hidden, but exposing the nameless/faceless inhumanity of this job. He becomes an inanimate object, the yoke of his neck surrounded by the Subway advertising, a viewpoint that comments on the cruel commerciality of our society. This was my intention when I grabbed the shot, but maybe it could have been more successful with a different POV.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Subway Man

I like your "minds eye" perspective-it's actually an environmental portrait in this sense. I do think using the motion of cars and pedestrians to convey your thought of a person in "alone in a crowd" well. I can take this in color or BW.

As mentioned though the POV just misses here. I'm troubled because I want-no, I NEED to know what the sign says. What is his message to the world? Is he declaring "the end of the world is near" or is he asking for food? For me, anyway, the shot misses because it robs me of a deeper connection to the "subway man".

Also-as far as "man alone in a crowd". I think more people in the scene would help rather than showing the man in isolation-with no pedestrians around him.

Usually people like this hang out in the same area much of the time. Perhaps a reshoot would be in order?

Sep 22, 2014 at 07:14 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Subway Man

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Subway Men are hard to keep track of but will see if I can find him again.

Sep 22, 2014 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.