New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · To be a woman:Autumn

JaneG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To be a woman:Autumn

HI People

The beginning of autumn. The summer flowers are dropping their petals and setting their seeds. Gold and ochre leaves are scattered on the dewy grass. Memories of the summer are still fresh and the chill of winter still seems far away. The autumn years of life are not so different. To be a Woman: Autumn, is part of collaborative book project and exhibition with women of the Cambridge women's photography group, CAMIRIS. Each womans's 'To be a woman' book is their own interpretation of the subject and becomes part of a boxed collection which has been produced to celebrate the 20th year anniversary of the formation of CAMIRIS.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/JaneGoodall/IMG_2553_zpse4a0d021.jpg

if you want to see my little book please follow the link
http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/5588275-to-be-a-woman

I would very much appreciate that anyone who thinks only young perfect bodies should be photographed could please leave now and go onto the fashion posts
There's a lot of knobbly knees folks and yes I am in my Autumn years. A time of change in so many different ways.
I was experimenting with the iphone rather than my 1dx and using a tripod and remote release. It was more immediate and I left the processing to hipstamatic.

Thanks

Jane

Edited on Sep 21, 2014 at 02:18 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2014 at 02:12 AM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To be a woman:Autumn

Very, very interesting.

Sep 21, 2014 at 04:34 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To be a woman:Autumn

Interesting shot ... not so much a people shot as an artistic one with an underlying concept to convey.

Sep 21, 2014 at 07:33 AM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To be a woman:Autumn

I'm not sure if there is a definition about what is a 'people' image
Photography about people , of people , their emotions, their lives etc..
I'm thinking let's not pigeonhole the forum

Sep 21, 2014 at 07:58 AM
ICE B1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To be a woman:Autumn

Great vision, Jane. Very well done both conceptually and artistically. <insert applause here>

Roger

Sep 21, 2014 at 08:01 AM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To be a woman:Autumn

That's very kind of you all.. I fully expected to fall off the front forum page without any comments

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To be a woman:Autumn

Jane - your posts are always interesting and well done. This shot is extremely unique. Belongs on somebody's book cover or the like. Take a bow.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To be a woman:Autumn

Jim Rickards wrote:
Jane - your posts are always interesting and well done. This shot is extremely unique. Belongs on somebody's book cover or the like. Take a bow.

That's it! I knew the image was giving me an impression and I could not put my finger on it, but it would be a great cover for a woman's autobiography!

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To be a woman:Autumn

I recommend everyone to try rolling around in leaves and making friends with the flower beds and trees

I suppose I couldn't resist the planting frame as a prop and I loved its photgraphic potential. I see so many beautiful flowers grow from seed to young plants full of vigour , that race up higher and higher on the supports , grasping each other and chasing the light, them in summer producing wonderful flowers and scents, the end of summer setting seed and begin to fade , shrouding the frame in the autumn with their crinkled and shrivelled stems..

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To be a woman:Autumn

Extremely well done representation, and (with an overly used description) fine art.

Autumn is only a state of weather, it should never a state of mind. Women are always beautiful and, no matter the age, can display their beauty in any way. In truth, beauty does not belong to youth - it is shared across all ages.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To be a woman:Autumn

You can be philosophical , but ageing is a difficult time for men and women ...you can try the inner beauty thing.. But given the opportunity I am sure most people would opt out
Only if you acknowledge the issues can you tackle them head on and come to accept life's changes ..,you can't tell people how to feel .
They will feel how they feel..
I am not that hung up about external beauty otherwise I wouldn't have put my knobbly knees on show
But this isn't really about 'Beauty' that's your interpretation ( which is welcome ). it is about the loss of vitality, of vigour, losing fitness and strength, losing memory and mental acuity. beauty that is superficial !

But note it's not all doom and gloom, autumn. Is the most interesting and beautiful seasons of the year .and I feel that too. Just there is stuff to deal with ...
tonyfield wrote:
Extremely well done representation, and (with an overly used description) fine art.

Autumn is only a state of weather, it should never a state of mind. Women are always beautiful and, no matter the age, can display their beauty in any way. In truth, beauty does not belong to youth - it is shared across all ages.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM
ICE B1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To be a woman:Autumn

Jane, your assessment of aging sounds like a Greek tragedy... and while those things you describe are, in fact, tragic I see aging as liberating in many ways. It's gran that its harder to keep the activity level up to maintain vitality, and much easier to sit in a rocking chair content to watch the world pass by, but those are both choices. They are health choices we make in diet, exercise, and staying challenged and engaged. When you're no longer engaged in life, you lose vitality. And I believe that vitality is beauty... and that can, in fact, be possessed at any age.

I think that Tony's post sums it up well. "Beauty" need not be surrendered merely because of aging, and it truly is more than skin deep. I really take offense at the cultural norms that evolved around beauty in the past forty or so years with the "Twiggy" and "heroin chic" body types. The cultural norms of "beauty" before that time were, in fact, about health and vitality. Much of what we see today is really unhealthy.

JaneG wrote:
You can be philosophical , but ageing is a difficult time for men and women ...you can try the inner beauty thing.. But given the opportunity I am sure most people would opt out
Only if you acknowledge the issues can you tackle them head on and come to accept life's changes ..,you can't tell people how to feel .
They will feel how they feel..
I am not that hung up about external beauty otherwise I wouldn't have put my knobbly knees on show
But this isn't really about 'Beauty' that's your interpretation ( which is welcome ). it is
...Show more

Sep 21, 2014 at 01:30 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To be a woman:Autumn

I think you misunderstand .. No tragedy but it's life ..
I am in the most productive part of my career , successful and happy . I just walked 200 miles to celebrate my 50th birthday last year Embracing the changes but acknowledging that things are definately changing

Maybe it's not the best approach that a man preach health tips to a woman in her 50s..there are very specific health issues here.. I know, I'm a scientist In Arthritis and cardiovascular disease
And cardiovascular risk has a major impact for ageing women .no matter what

Sep 21, 2014 at 01:38 PM
jodo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To be a woman:Autumn

Creative and meaningful work. If we define art as something that affects us emotionally then you have succeeded with me. A beautiful season indeed.

Sep 21, 2014 at 05:57 PM
ICE B1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To be a woman:Autumn

I am about ten years older than you... and I suffer from osteoarthritis myself. Fortunately my cardiovascular system so far is healthy... but my lovely wife has already had a new aortic valve, a total hip, and a number of spinal fusions, and most recently had knee 'scoped. I am no stranger to the rigors of aging. It's not for the faint of heart. However, we bike, sail, camp, and remain as active as we can.

The tragedy is when folks who could be healthy at this stage in their lives make choices that don't allow them to be. I'm not preaching health care to anyone; I'm only suggesting that this stage of life, you're only as old as you choose to be, and "beauty" doesn't leave just because one accumulates experience with the years. Indeed, my experience is just the opposite.

In any event, your work is beautiful and engaging.

JaneG wrote:
I think you misunderstand .. No tragedy but it's life ..
I am in the most productive part of my career , successful and happy . I just walked 200 miles to celebrate my 50th birthday last year Embracing the changes but acknowledging that things are definately changing

Maybe it's not the best approach that a man preach health tips to a woman in her 50s..there are very specific health issues here.. I know, I'm a scientist In Arthritis and cardiovascular disease
And cardiovascular risk has a major impact for ageing women .no matter what

Sep 21, 2014 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.