FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Joel J Photogr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Hey everyone,

I have never posted half way through a wedding to get input on post, But this one is a bit different..

What would you do with these shadows on the wedding party?!

Luckily, for quite a few the bride and groom are just clear of them.

Editing/Question by Joelsview . com, on Flickr

Appreciate your input on this!

Thank you
Joel

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Ouch. That's a rough one. I can't say I would do any post to fix it though - it is what they chose to do and that's exactly how it looked...

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:26 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

I'd leave them. I think trying to fix them in post would only make them worse.

It's stuff like this that's going to happen when a couple doesn't do a time consult with the photog prior or the photog doesn't scout the location at the same time of the ceremony. Not saying you're at fault, but you're also not God and can't be expected to move the sun.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Or process them all in B&W and go for a film-noir look.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:31 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

I'd clone out the tripod and GroPro. The end.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

I don't think I could successfully blend it. At least the b&g aren't in the same shadows, they actually break the pattern and benefit by standing out more.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Joel J Photogr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

It wasn't setup when I scouted the location days before, Had no idea it was going to have the wood boards on top. I figured thats the input I'd receive, rock post as a regular ceremony and it is how it is.

Thanks for taking the time!

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Ouch, they go right over many faces/arms so I think this is beyond saving. Luckily the focus is the b&g and people in the wedding party are still clearly identifiable so it isn't terrible.

DId you not warn the venue people before the ceremony got underway or was it just not obvious when no one was under it?

Sep 21, 2014 at 05:40 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Looks cool to me.

Sep 21, 2014 at 08:48 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Bride and groom are nicely lit. I would just tone it down and let the bars on their faces rip. Its great. Gives it character in a really cool way.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

I think it looks kind of cool because the couple stands out. Just roll with it and not worry.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Agree... any old photographer could have shot everyone evenly lit. Only a photographer with creative vision can pull what you did off. Own it!

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

I also think it's cool- the couple stands out well!

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Well I reckon its horrendous, completely without merit; the couple may well be of the same opinion so best be prepared for it :- )

Yes that is supposed to be constructive. Maybe say to them when the gallery goes up that the shot you posed on the jetty didn't really work as the sun was so intense but that you've included it anyway and its their call whether they want it in their album. They may like it but lets be realistic.

I'm guessing that when you shot it it did not appear quite so extreme. We've probably all been in similar situations. Hopefully you have plenty of alternative shots covering these participants.

Easy to say but if its a regular venue and a regularly requested setup, maybe bring the couple further forward on the jetty so that the wedding party can be in even sunlight avoiding the shadows caused by the slats. The diagonal planks on each end even cover the faces of two of the wedding party. In the UK the "penalty shootout pose" the fellas are doing would be a no-no. Its called that because many professional footballers are seen to do that to protect their wedding tackle just as a penalty kick is taken towards them :- )

You must be feeling disappointed. I'll bet you walked away thinking you nailed a great pose :- ) Oh well!

Pete

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Maybe I'm confused Pete, but I didnt think he posed this. It's quite obvious that its a shot of the ceremony over which he had no control.

Sep 21, 2014 at 01:03 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

That's rough, but I think most clients would understand. I mean, they got married outdoors on a small wharf at what looks like high noon. I assume the ceremony was pretty quick too so it's not like you'd have a significant percentage of your deliverables of them in that spot.

Sep 21, 2014 at 02:27 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Is it part of the ceremony? I haven't picked up on that. Thought it was afterwards.That would explain the otherwise inexplicable presence of the GoPro and maybe why the ugly boat hasn't been moved away for the shot. Perhaps I'm seeing a bit of the celebrant behind them now. In that case you have to include it as a reportage record of the 1st kiss (?), but my oh my what a dreadful position for photographic purposes.

I had two weddings about 10 years ago which were both springtime before there were leaves on the trees and both in strong sunlight. The shadows cast by the bare branches and twigs caused a similar effect and there was no alternative for any outdoor shots. The shadows didn't look as bad when shooting as they did in post. So I can relate to the OP's dilema. One of mine was OK but the other client - having initially done the gushing praise thing - blew up badly.

Pete

Sep 21, 2014 at 02:59 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

Crop it closer, make it black and white and it would actually be kind of cool

Sep 21, 2014 at 03:33 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

ashton lamont wrote:
Is it part of the ceremony? I haven't picked up on that. Thought it was afterwards.That would explain the otherwise inexplicable presence of the GoPro and maybe why the ugly boat hasn't been moved away for the shot.

You can see the arm of the officiant behind the groom.

Sep 21, 2014 at 04:35 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jail Bar Shadows - Post Processing Inputs

And the groomsman far right is clapping.

Sep 21, 2014 at 04:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.