FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · One click. Nailed it.

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · One click. Nailed it.

Great visual, and very true. I only shoot around 2000-2500 in a day, but these threads are actually making me want to shoot more. I've never regretted overshooting a scene, but I have regretted undershooting. When I'm culling I sometimes wish I would have kept with a shot a little longer.

Inku Yo wrote:
Thanks for this. You're going to help me help others understand. I recently started cycling. I live in a hilly area and there are lots of peaks and valleys, not unlike a wedding day (maybe a best man's speech in particular). Now, when I ride an unfamiliar route (just like not all weddings are the same and not all people are alike), when I reach a peak, do I know that's the peakiest of the peaks I'm going to meet during this ride? How do I know if there isn't going to be a higher peak somewhere else along
...Show more

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:47 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · One click. Nailed it.

Your camera takes nice pictures.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:48 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · One click. Nailed it.

Inku Yo wrote:
Thanks for this. You're going to help me help others understand. I recently started cycling. I live in a hilly area and there are lots of peaks and valleys, not unlike a wedding day (maybe a best man's speech in particular). Now, when I ride an unfamiliar route (just like not all weddings are the same and not all people are alike), when I reach a peak, do I know that's the peakiest of the peaks I'm going to meet during this ride? How do I know if there isn't going to be a higher peak somewhere else along
...Show more

This describes quite well how you can end up with 50 shots during a toast. Of course it doesn't apply to every toast. But a really great toast that starts strong has some good material in the middle and a killer finish can really generate a lot of peaks for just that. Combine that with constantly looking for better angles and it's pretty easy.

You can apply this theory to just about every part of a given day--but I think the key thing to understand is that we aren't saying this is a constant, it's just potential. Some weddings I shoot 2k, others i shoot nearly 5k. Just depends on what's going on.

I don't know if those that disparage "overshooting" have ever pursued other creative endeavors like painting, or writing, or anything else. But it's not uncommon to go through iteration after iteration to perfect what you're creating. I spent 10 years in the architecture industry, and throughout my education from a design perspective, we could spend an entire semester on just one project. Some people would try something and throw it away and then try something new while others might stick with one or two option and just refine it. As I applied my thought process and design process to photography, I found value in a similar approach. It just translates to shooting a lot.

I also never understand the rationale that new technology (greater power) must be avoided in order for one to hone their skills. Yes, by going back to older tech, you are limiting yourself and therefore training yourself to be more thoughtful and practice good timing. But there's really no reason why that has to be mutually exclusive to having access to better technology.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:57 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · One click. Nailed it.

Inku Yo wrote:
...Show more

Wow. Even though I went out of my way to make a distinction between waiting ("let's see what happens next") and anticipating ("I know what will happen next), you still missed the point. You never know if it'll get better, so yes, keep shooting as that happens, but also don't shoot the junk in between. That's all I'm saying.

Edited on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:58 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · One click. Nailed it.

I can understand the debate about the pros and cons on each strategy but it seems much ado about nothing.Whatever you do to get the shot and whether you got it are all that matters. Who cares if someone shoots 10k or 100. I see good arguments for both sides depending on the situation. Shooting more sometimes helps me stay focused on a moment while waiting for the perfect expression. Sometimes if I shoot too much I feel the need to move on before I actually got the shot. I think everyone needs to find the balance that works for them between shooting enough to avoid missing things, and slowing down to think. The specific spot on that spectrum depends on the photographers energy, personality, comfort etc.

Ill admit I always felt a little self conscious about over shooting so I avoided it. When I saw tyler wirken shoot like crazy and work for him, it kind of gave me permission to loosen up a bit.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:59 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · One click. Nailed it.

myam203 wrote:
Wow. Even though I went out of my way to make a distinction between waiting ("let's see what happens next") and anticipating ("I know what will happen next), you still missed the point. You never know if it'll get better, so yes, keep shooting as that happens, but also don't shoot the junk in between. That's all I'm saying.

I think you both are actually in agreement.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · One click. Nailed it.

myam203 wrote:

Perhaps we are in agreement, but my original post wasn't really targeted towards you, it seems. There are some people who are afraid to show their own work, who can't seem to grasp the idea of anyone shooting more than 1000 frames at a wedding.

Duy summarized it well. I don't shoot 6000 images at each wedding, but I have. If there is more "peaks" then there's more frames.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · One click. Nailed it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · One click. Nailed it.

I'm really proud of you all. I was beginning to think this thread would stall at two pages.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · One click. Nailed it.

amonline wrote:
I'm really proud of you all. I was beginning to think this thread would stall at two pages.

Out of interest, what is the correct number of posts or pages a thread shold run to?

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · One click. Nailed it.

glort wrote:
Out of interest, what is the correct number of posts or pages a thread shold run to?

Epic arguments on Fred Miranda? Five pages. Minimum.

Careful. You'll be accused of stirring.

Edited on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · One click. Nailed it.

glort wrote:

$properPostCount = $currentPostCount;

while ($today == Monday || Tuesday || Wednesday || Thursday || Friday){
++$properPostCount;
}

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.